Braun tests postitive for PEDs

Sockin

Jon Heyman @JonHeymanCBS

It's a shame braun's confidentiality was breached. Not blaming anyone. But test results are supposed to be secret til after appeal

Ryan braun decision is expected today or tomorrow. he's on his way to ariz. and doesn't know outcome yet. has to report by sat.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 09:58 AM)
Jon Heyman @JonHeymanCBS

It's a shame braun's confidentiality was breached. Not blaming anyone. But test results are supposed to be secret til after appeal

Ryan braun decision is expected today or tomorrow. he's on his way to ariz. and doesn't know outcome yet. has to report by sat.

I really think he'll be exonerated somehow.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 04:15 PM)
Really curious to hear the details of this. Right now it looks like another MLB coverup to save its image.

Sounds like it. MVP suspended for steroids sounds like a really really bad headline.

What I don't understand it, is it enough to just break the chain of custody? Shouldn't there be some evidence that contamination was likely to occur?

My problem is, even if it was sitting around, refrigerated or not, what could have happened that it could be contaminated with a banned substance?

Or were they literally unable to introduce the sample into evidence because the COC was broken?

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 05:26 PM)
Braun, correctly, got off on a technicality (improper storage of a sample). However, it's still very clear that he was caught using a synthetic substance. He used PEDs, cheated, but was correctly exonerated here.

This is correct. If there is any banned substance in a sample you have to suspend the player. However, you MUST follow the protocol for testing the sample to prevent any tampering. I have no doubt he is guiluty based on previous information but he should not be suspended based on the idiot sample collector's screw up.

Were these pee tests or blood tests?

Pee tests being stored improperly could result in evaporation which could cause the entire sample to be much stronger.

My guess is that MLB tries to keep it secret what happened, because otherwise every player will raise it as a defense.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 05:48 PM)
What I don't understand it, is it enough to just break the chain of custody? Shouldn't there be some evidence that contamination was likely to occur?

My problem is, even if it was sitting around, refrigerated or not, what could have happened that it could be contaminated with a banned substance?

Or were they literally unable to introduce the sample into evidence because the COC was broken?

Yes, it's enough. If any part of an agreement between two parties is breached, it can be a s***show like this. Braun's lawyers didn't argue tampering or that the test itself was wrong, rather that procedure (lawyers looooove procedure) wasn't correctly followed.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 08:12 PM)
How do you know what Braun's attorneys argued?

I havent seen any link to Arbitration filings or transcripts.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7608360/...game-suspension

Braun didn't argue evidence of tampering and didn't dispute the science, but argued protocol had not been followed. A second source confirmed to ESPN investigative reporters Mark Fainaru-Wada and T.J. Quinn that Braun questioned the chain of custody and collection procedure.

"According to ESPN's Mark Fainaru-Wada and T.J. Quinn, Braun didn't appeal any evidence of tampering or the science of the test results, but the chain of custody and collection procedure."

Those two names are the most legitimate you're going to find about steroids in professional sports in America.

Edit: Kalapse quicker on the trigger than me. Sheeeyut.

Edited by Cerbaho-WG