Mat Latos traded to the Reds for Yonder.

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)
I can't believe people still get suckered into trading for pitchers who put up huge numbers in San Diego. Javy Vazquez would have been a Hall of Famer if he pitched there.

Latos's career splits

@ Petco: 3.11 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, .229 BAA

Away: 3.57 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, .224 BAA

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)
Not the biggest fan of his. Someone else on here loves him I know

Hmmm. Was it Ace? I know somebody on this board is in love with Latos the way I'm in love with the great Clayton Kershaw. Just for fun. What kinda package would he command? Oh my goodness. Let's say the Nationals wanted to deal for him. Harper, Rendon, Meyer and perhaps Goodwin? Or replace Harper with Jordan Zimmerman?

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 06:03 PM)
Yeah, this is one of the worst trades I can recall. Can't believe they gave up so much for Latos. Padres should be thrilled with what they got.

How much are we asking for Danks if the Reds looked at their options and thought this was a good move?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 04:02 PM)
Other than it being a 4-1 deal, I don't see how anybody can say the Reds got fleeced. I love this deal for them. Latos, Cueto, Votto, Bruce, Stubbs, Chapman is an amazing young core to go into '12 with. No Pujols, more than likely no Fielder, and the rest of that division being either average (Cubs) or pathetic (Astros), and the Reds should be a major player.

for once we're in agreement. A good, proven MLB pitcher is worth more than also any prospect or group of prospects.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 05:58 PM)
Holy Hell, we'd have taken 1 of those 3 guys for Danks.

Again, Danks' value is only a small fraction of Latos'. Whatever you think the fair return for Danks would be (the consensus here seems to be top-50 prospect), multiply that return by about four to get a package good enough for Latos.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 06:06 PM)
Latos is very good, but he's no better than Danks. Just a better contract situation.

Over the past two seasons, Latos has struck out 2 more per 9 than Danks, given up 1 less hit per 9 than Danks, and has a marginally lower BB rate. I know he's pitching in a pitcher's park in the NL, but he is three years younger than Danks. So he's even that much further from his prime. He's better than Danks. John does have the established record of being durable, though.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 06:06 PM)
Latos is very good, but he's no better than Danks. Just a better contract situation.

and this is why you're not great at fantasy baseball. :P

Matt Latos is far superior to Danks.

I still don't think this is a bad deal. Latos is an ace, and the reds do NOT need offense. Trade a bunch of hitters you don't need for an ace SP? Totally.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 08:14 PM)
and this is why you're not great at fantasy baseball. :P

Matt Latos is far superior to Danks.

I still don't think this is a bad deal. Latos is an ace, and the reds do NOT need offense. Trade a bunch of hitters you don't need for an ace SP? Totally.

Danks can be as good as Latos, he just hasn't been. If Danks was in the NL, he'd be better.

Latos is a #3, eventually he can be #2, but I'm not sure if he is a true #1 until he starts pitching with his head more than just his arm.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 08:29 PM)
Danks can be as good as Latos, he just hasn't been. If Danks was in the NL, he'd be better.

Latos is a #3, eventually he can be #2, but I'm not sure if he is a true #1 until he starts pitching with his head more than just his arm.

Fangraphs has Latos and Danks pretty close to balanced over the last 2 years, all things considered.

Latos had an ERA in the 3's, in the NL, and pitching in Petco. Danks had an ERA in the high 3's/low to mid 4's, pitching in the big boy league, pitching in the Cell.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 09:54 PM)
Danks would be an All Star pitching in the NL and at Petco.

this is crazy.

Latos' road splits are almost identical to his home splits. He had a 2.92 ERA two years ago and a 3.47 last year and is younger than Danks. Tell me what I'm missing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 09:50 PM)
Fangraphs has Latos and Danks pretty close to balanced over the last 2 years, all things considered.

Latos had an ERA in the 3's, in the NL, and pitching in Petco. Danks had an ERA in the high 3's/low to mid 4's, pitching in the big boy league, pitching in the Cell.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 09:54 PM)
Danks would be an All Star pitching in the NL and at Petco.

Using B-R's or Fangraph's adjusted ERAs, which account for both league and ballpark effect, Latos has been better each of the past two seasons.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 10:12 PM)
Using B-R's or Fangraph's adjusted ERAs, which account for both league and ballpark effect, Latos has been better each of the past two seasons.

fWAR:

John Danks

2010: 4.3

2011: 3.2

Matt Latos:

2010: 4.0

2011: 3.2

Yeah, Danks may have thrown a few more innings in 2010 which helped him there (equal innings and Latos would have had a slightly higher WAR), but Latos threw more innings than Danks in 2011 because Danks was hurt for those couple weeks, and yet they still put up similar WAR.

And jsut to throw it in:

bWAR D1:

2010: 4.8

2011: 2.2

Latos:

2010: 3.2

2011: 2.6

You can use WAR if you like, since it is also league and park adjusted. My point was, no need to use traditional ERAs and insinuate or just flat out say Danks would be better than Latos if he too pitched in a NL bandbox. There are multiple metrics allowing for the comparison of players across different leagues/stadiums.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 05:06 PM)

I feel like people constantly forget this. It really doesnt matter who is better, Danks or Latos or Gio. Danks is one year from free agency while the others are 3-4 years away. That makes such a difference and that's what it's all about when it comes to trade value nowadays.

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 10:11 PM)
I love the White Sox like everyone here... but John Danks isn't Mat Latos.

Sure they are close, but Latos is a rising star, and the Reds control him for 5 more years.

I think they made a great deal.

Danks will cost at least $30 million more the next five years, but he still should bring back a nice return. IMO he winds up with the Yankees.