Carlos Quentin traded to Padres

LittleHurt05

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simon Castro used to be a pretty good prospect.

Via Sickels 2010 Year in Review:

2) Simon Castro, RHP, Grade B+: 3.07 ERA, 87/31 K/BB in 106 innings for Double-A San Antonio, 87 hits. I wish his strikeout rate was a bit higher but overall he's having another good season.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/8/8/16...dres-top-20-pre

Then a disasterous 2011 happened, and he fell off the 2012 list entirely.

2) Simon Castro, RHP, Grade B+: Got killed at Triple-A Tucson early, 10.17 ERA with 21/18 K/BB and 37 hits in 26 innings. Now back at San Antonio, 5.34 ERA with 57/12 K/BB in 59 innings, 74 hits. Very disappointing in all respects.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/8/4/23...pects-in-review

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
We still should have gotten something of value. I'm sick and tired of getting nothing for our guys, with our best hauls ever being merely "fair value".

Carlos Quentin was 50 points in OPS away from not being offered arbitration this offseason.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
Pretty underwhelming, especially when you consider how we could have dealt him at the trade deadline last year for a much better package by all indications.

If there was a better deal available then it should have been taken. I don't know that there was one, but any rational GM had to know that the odds weren't in their favor holding Quentin in terms of him staying healthy for the rest of the year.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 08:00 PM)
We still should have gotten something of value. I'm sick and tired of getting nothing for our guys, with our best hauls ever being merely "fair value".

Couldn't agree more. Always seems like KW gives up a fortune to get "his guys", but then he gets significantly less in return (at least since the Garcia trade to Phil).

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 02:04 PM)
I would have thought they could have gotten more... Surprised ATL didn't get more involved in CQ.

This one is true. It is definitely surprising that Atlanta wouldn't make a run at him at this price.

They must really be committed to their youth movement, to the point where they don't want anyone blockign those guys.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 02:05 PM)
Couldn't agree more. Always seems like KW gives up a fortune to get "his guys", but then he gets significantly less in return (at least since the Garcia trade to Phil).

That's a reasonable complaint on the Santos trade.

Not here.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 08:04 PM)
If there was a better deal available then it should have been taken. I don't know that there was one, but any rational GM had to know that the odds weren't in their favor holding Quentin in terms of him staying healthy for the rest of the year.

The speculation was that KW was asking for more than Houston got for Pence.