The Carlos Quentin Appreciation Thread

sunofgold

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 03:26 PM)
stats be DAMNED???? are you kidding me? and what exactly was he good for all the other times when he WASN'T locked in? You're telling me you're supposed to keep a player who's good only 25% of the time??

I know by now I should just ignore you, but that's up there with one of the dumber things I've read from you.

About 95% of MLB hitters get their stats in bunches. The guy who is really consistent week to week is pretty rare. If Quentin hits 24 homers and drives in 80 runs only being good 25% of the time, he's pretty spectacular that 25%.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 06:38 PM)
About 95% of MLB hitters get their stats in bunches. The guy who is really consistent week to week is pretty rare. If Quentin hits 24 homers and drives in 80 runs only being good 25% of the time, he's pretty spectacular that 25%.

Amen, Dick Allen.

To the rest of the world, this is the Sox dumping an all star for 2 nobodies in a salary cutting maneuver. I'd love to be KW with our fanbase. Most any trade is acceptable to many if it involves guys they've never heard of. The unknown is alluring to many. I prefer name players who have a track record. Quentin could rake.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 03:19 PM)
Amen, Dick Allen.

To the rest of the world, this is the Sox dumping an all star for 2 nobodies in a salary cutting maneuver. I'd love to be KW with our fanbase. Most any trade is acceptable to many if it involves guys they've never heard of. The unknown is alluring to many. I prefer name players who have a track record. Quentin could rake.

And when he tried using that rake on leaves, he'd pull a muscle and be in rehab for 4 weeks.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)
Amen, Dick Allen.

Like Adam Dunn?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)

I have nothing to back this up, but he seemed streakier than most. He'd literally go cold for weeks at a time and do so multiple times in a given season. So yes, all players are streaky to some extent, but there's certainly different levels of streakiness and different levels are more acceptable for different players. You definitely need your middle of the order bats to be more consistent than your bottom of the order bats. When a guy like Quentin goes cold for a month it can cripple an entire offense.

I honestly don't get why people are so upset about losing him. Between the streakiness and the constant injuries he made a poor middle of the lineup bat. He's a perfect example of why you can't just look at stats in a vaccum. Yes he put up decent numbers in aggregate, but he killed our offense when he was cold or hurt, which was a significant portion of the season.

He just might have another MVP-type season before all is said and done, but you'd have to be crazy to give him a long-term deal at over $10 million per year given his recent history. Therefore, he had to go and with Viciedo ready and able to replace him (and hopefully with more consistent production), that time was now. The return may not have been great (probably should have dealt him at the deadline), but it's about what should have been expected at this point. We got one guy with the potential to be an above-average starter and a left-hander who has some talent. Both are far from guarantees, but they add some depth to the numbers game that is building a major league pitching staff via the minor league system. Unless Quentin had a huge first half and managed to stay healthy, we would not have done better at the deadline anyways.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 03:56 PM)
I honestly don't get why people are so upset about losing him. Between the streakiness and the constant injuries he made a poor middle of the lineup bat. He's a perfect example of why you can't just look at stats in a vaccum. Yes he put up decent numbers in aggregate, but he killed our offense when he was cold or hurt, which was a significant portion of the season.

it's just greg and DickAllen - and it's because we traded him for guys they've never heard of. Kind of like that no namer we drafted in the 38th round in '98, or that third base prospect we got from the Reds, or that kid we traded Matt Karchner for from the Cubs, and that lefty we got from Seattle for the next cant-miss prospect AKA Joe Borchard, or that southpaw we've got replacing Buehrle who we got from Texas a few years back... forget his name too... OH WAIT NOW I REMEMBER ALL OF THEM!

Mark Buehrle

Paul Konerko

Jon Garland

Matt Thornton

John Danks

we didn't know their names either.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 09:48 PM)
Or he'd get frustrated, punch the rake handle and break his hand.

Unfair. Unfair. Unfair.

He has been great the past year and a half mentality-wise.

Carlos Quentin was a gamer. I truly hope we have other hitters (aside from Paulie) who can get as hot as CQ does.

I can't believe a lot of people on here mock Carlos for his injuries but refuse to mock Jake for the same reason.

The guy had 483 plate appearances last year, but he's hurt all the time. Rite.

I can't believe the mocking of our own on here sometimes.

Last year - CQ 483 plate appearances, 421 at bats.

2010: 527 plate apps.

2009: 399 plate appearaances, 99 games.

2008: 569 appearances.

So in the last four years, he's played 118 games, 131, 99 and 130. One out of four years he's hurt a ton.

Give me a fricking break regarding CQ. He's a stud IMO.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 06:30 PM)
Unfair. Unfair. Unfair.

Carlos Quentin was a gamer. I truly hope we have other hitters (aside from Paulie) who can get as hot as CQ does.

I can't believe a lot of people on here mock Carlos for his injuries but refuse to mock Jake for the same reason.

So in the last four years, he's played 118 games, 131, 99 and 130. One out of four years he's hurt a ton.

You are definitely a troll...your posts are beyond ridiculous.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 07:30 PM)
Unfair. Unfair. Unfair.

hahaha so many great things about this post.

1) his 2011 was mediocre. I repeat. Mediocre. An .838 OPS, while not bad, is not ideal coming from your cleanup hitter - or a guy you're going to give $7.5 million to.

2) Jake Peavy had an injury NO OTHER PITCHER HAS EVER HAD and somehow has bounced back and is able to pitch at the major league level. That's an amazing accomplishment. All of his struggles have stemmed from that SINGLE injury

3) You proved yourself that Quentin is fragile and injury prone. He's never played a full season for us. NEVER. NOT ONCE. NOT A SINGLE TIME. You can't pay a guy elite money for 66% of the playing time.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
it's just greg and DickAllen - and it's because we traded him for guys they've never heard of. Kind of like that no namer we drafted in the 38th round in '98, or that third base prospect we got from the Reds, or that kid we traded Matt Karchner for from the Cubs, and that lefty we got from Seattle for the next cant-miss prospect AKA Joe Borchard, or that southpaw we've got replacing Buehrle who we got from Texas a few years back... forget his name too... OH WAIT NOW I REMEMBER ALL OF THEM!

Mark Buehrle

Paul Konerko

Jon Garland

Matt Thornton

John Danks

we didn't know their names either.

Actually knew everyone but Buerhle but its nice to know the guys KW acquired for Quentin are guaranteed to turn out like the above. 4 out of 5 were first round draft picks. It is interesting you didn't list all the other players that have been acquired that we didn't "know" and never will, but that would be accurate and ruin your post. Trading Quentin isn't wrong, trading him for garbage is. Just call it a salary dump and leave it at that. Expected anything out of these prospects is silly. All you need to know about the Quentin trade, David Kaplan loved it.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 07:51 PM)
Actually knew everyone but Buerhle but its nice to know the guys KW acquired for Quentin are guaranteed to turn out like the above. It is interesting you didn't list all the other players that have been acquired that we didn't "know" and never will, but that would be accurate and ruin your post. Trading Quentin isn't wrong, trading him for garbage is. Just call it a salary dump and leave it at that. All you need to know about the Quentin trade, David Kaplan loved it.

hahahahaha and you think every OTHER teams' prospects have all panned out huh? Yeah this is definitely unique to KW and the White Sox. 95% of ALL prospects don't pan out.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 06:56 PM)
hahahahaha and you think every OTHER teams' prospects have all panned out huh? Yeah this is definitely unique to KW and the White Sox. 95% of ALL prospects don't pan out.

Exactly my point, although I would venture to guess KW's percentage is a little lower than average. You're the one basically guaranteeing these not even top 20 prospects in their own organzations are going to turn out like Danks, Konerko, That's why trading proven players for prospects is dangerous and most of the time stupid, unless you are doing it for financial reasons. For winning it doesn't work out much anymore as teams are more reluctant than ever to give up their top guys.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 01:45 AM)
You are definitely a troll...your posts are beyond ridiculous.

Yeah I'm a troll because I'm defending a proud White Sox player (not a guy stealing a paycheck like Rios) with statistics.

It'd be easy to just agree with many on here and be considered a member of the club, not a troll.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 07:59 PM)
Exactly my point, although I would venture to guess KW's percentage is a little lower than average. That's why trading anything of value you have for prospects is stupid.

repeat after me: at this point in time, Quentin didn't HAVE value. Quentin. Didn't. Have. Value.

There you go.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 01:51 AM)
Actually knew everyone but Buerhle but its nice to know the guys KW acquired for Quentin are guaranteed to turn out like the above. 4 out of 5 were first round draft picks. It is interesting you didn't list all the other players that have been acquired that we didn't "know" and never will, but that would be accurate and ruin your post. Trading Quentin isn't wrong, trading him for garbage is. Just call it a salary dump and leave it at that. Expected anything out of these prospects is silly. All you need to know about the Quentin trade, David Kaplan loved it.

I think Dick Allen is my favorite poster.

Great post ... again.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 07:59 PM)
Yeah I'm a troll because I'm defending a proud White Sox player (not a guy stealing a paycheck like Rios) with statistics.

It'd be easy to just agree with many on here and be considered a member of the club, not a troll.

whahahahahhaaaaaaaattt!? using STATISTICS? I thought you agreed with "statistics be damned!"

you also used your statistics badly. you proved the antithesis of your point... since you showed that Quentin never played a full season in his career.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 06:59 PM)

You showed that Carlos Quentin has never had 600 plate appearances (the standard for a full time player) in his entire career.

Bravo, you just used statistics to prove your oppositions point.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 08:02 PM)
Good luck my friend. You aren't going to change the minds of the pouting anti-rebuilding club.

i know i'm just having fun while my roommate watches Community on hulu. (Roku is amazing)