Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not much of a gambler (I only throw a few bucks into an NCAA bracket pool, Super Bowl, etc) , and yesterday, for the first time I can remember, I won - $200 in a pool at a bar where a friend works. The pool paid out 100%, and I'm wondering if I'm obligated to tip the guy who ran the pool. If so, how much?

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Feb 7, 2012 -> 12:33 AM)
I'm not much of a gambler (I only throw a few bucks into an NCAA bracket pool, Super Bowl, etc) , and yesterday, for the first time I can remember, I won - $200 in a pool at a bar where a friend works. The pool paid out 100%, and I'm wondering if I'm obligated to tip the guy who ran the pool. If so, how much?

Often times, but not always, it's customary to tip 5-10%. Depends on how much work was done with it, how well established it is, how well you know them etc...Your call.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 7, 2012 -> 06:26 AM)
Often times, but not always, it's customary to tip 5-10%. Depends on how much work was done with it, how well established it is, how well you know them etc...Your call.

That's kind of what I was figuring - 10%. Actually, I split the square with someone (we won $400, so my take was $200), and the other guy is really cheap. I think I'll probably do $20.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 11:33 PM)

The big thing is did he get a free entry out of it? If he runs it but doesn't pay, no tip.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 11:33 PM)

Personally, whenever I have run a pool, I wouldn't even accept any kind of tip, that's not why I run it. That being said, everyone is different, and I agree with ss2k5. If the guy got a free entry out of it, then don't tip him, the entry was his tip.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 06:03 AM)
So I got engaged yesterday.

Damn, I missed this. Congrats buddy!

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 08:10 AM)
In all seriousness, congrats bro. :) Jesus the "young" soxtalk posters (as we used to be known as) are all growing up so fast.

Don't worry I'm always here to slow down the overall maturation process of that group.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 02:33 PM)
Has anyone eaten at Alinea?

I'm going in a month and I can't wait...most of the reviewers on Yelp wrote that it is the best meal they've ever had.

I had friends that went and they said it was outstanding, it's like a whole experience. Personally, I could never spend that much money on a single meal, but to each their own.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 02:56 PM)
I had friends that went and they said it was outstanding, it's like a whole experience. Personally, I could never spend that much money on a single meal, but to each their own.

Me neither! It's the girlfriend's favorite restaurant...she is paying :)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 08:33 PM)
Has anyone eaten at Alinea?

I'm going in a month and I can't wait...most of the reviewers on Yelp wrote that it is the best meal they've ever had.

I went 3 years ago. It was the best meal I've ever had.

For two people, it ended up being over $500 for the tour and one wine flight. That sounds ridiculous (and, well, it is), but to me, one $500 meal there is far better than ten $50 meals that you won't remember the next week.

I just looked at the menu and only 2 of the 20 courses are the same as when I went: Hot Potato, Cold Potato and Truffle Explosion. I actually didn't particularly like either one of these, but I could tell you how they were served (virtually everything has a cool presentation) and what they tasted like. I think that's part of why it's so great. Everything is interesting and unique, so it sticks with you. Some of the highlights for me were a plate of crab with an orb of spherified http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherification butter on top of it that you had to pop, a lamb course that is placed on a scented pillow whose aroma hits you while you eat to change the flavor, a ball of hardened yogurt filled with pomegranate juice, and a brown sugared sweet potato that was served on a stick of cinnamon that was on fire.

FYI, if I recall correctly, the restaurant has no street signage. You have to look out for a tiny valet sign sitting on the sidewalk and stop in the right place. I had to circle the block a couple times before spotting it.