Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 02:14 PM)
It says he was fatally struck in the caption.

As an example, the photographer should be charged as an accessory.

Welcome to the age of taking photos first, helping second.

(Yes, I know it was probably too late to help; but, why print it in a paper, let alone photograph it?)

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)

Welcome to the age of taking photos first, helping second.

(Yes, I know it was probably too late to help; but, why print it in a paper, let alone photograph it?)

That might qualify as one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read.

As for the picture itself, I'm kind of disgusted that that paper would choose to run that.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)

That's a bit much - but they are claiming the photographer "took as many photos as possible to get the train conductor's attention", but we all know that's BS. He saw a quick exclusive photo payday, and focused on that first.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 05:57 PM)
keep reading; I'm sure you'll find more things.

It doesn't take away from the ridiculousness of your first sentence, but yeah I do agree it is a shame that someone sees this act and their first thought is to take a picture. I can honestly say that would never ever cross my mind if the situation happened in front of me, although I might be too stunned to be fast enough to help the man.

Isn't there a video of it too? I heard the parts of the interview with the photographer (or maybe a different guy taking video) and his excuse was that he wouldnt have been able to pull the guy up anyway. At first I thought it was disturbing that he didn't even try to help, but the more I thought about it the more I'm not sure what I would do in a split second moment like that. Charging him with anything would be ridiculous.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 12:05 PM)
Isn't there a video of it too? I heard the parts of the interview with the photographer (or maybe a different guy taking video) and his excuse was that he would have been able to pull the guy up anyway. At first I thought it was disturbing that he didn't even try to help, but the more I thought about it the more I'm not sure what I would do in a split second moment like that. Charging him with anything would be ridiculous.

Indeed. You know as well as I do that there's no general "duty to rescue."

So if anyone else is interested in this, let me know in a day or two and I can pass along more backstory as I unearth it.

NASA will launch a new Mars rover in 2020, agency officials announced today (Dec. 4).

The unmanned rover's chassis and landing system will be based heavily on NASA's $2.5 billion Curiosity rover, which has been tooling around the Red Planet since August of this year, said John Grunsfeld, NASA's associate administrator for science.

"We have a whole new Mars mission, and I'm very excited about that," Grunsfeld said here today at the annual fall meeting of the American Geophysical Union.

The similarity to Curiosity's basic design should allow the agency to save significant amounts of money on the 2020 rover mission, bringing its estimated cost down to about $1.5 billion, give or take $200 million or so, Grunsfeld said. [The Boldest Mars Missions in History]

Some basic guidelines for the mission are already in place. The 2020 rover should help NASA prepare for its eventual goal of bringing samples from Mars back to Earth — an effort most scientists regard as the best way to look for signs of life on the Red Planet.

"I think, no question, we want to advance sample handling, coring, analysis of samples to determine caching [of samples]," Grunsfeld said.

The new rover should also land at a site selected for its ability to preserve potential signs of life, according to Grunsfeld's presentation.

The precise details of the new mission, however, remain up in the air. They will be determined over the coming months by a "science definition team," with a call for instrument proposals from the scientific community expected by mid-summer next year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 08:48 AM)
Eddie and Jobo got fired this morning.

I still can't believe they got re-hired in the first place. Is there really that much of a lack of talent in radio that those two clowns were the best that 104.3 could do?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
I still can't believe they got re-hired in the first place. Is there really that much of a lack of talent in radio that those two clowns were the best that 104.3 could do?

Listening around the dials, yes. Heck 94.7 FM is all retreads from the 70's.