Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 04:40 PM)
Interesting. That would work. It is about an seven to eight hour drive to Niagara from here, so driving is definitely the plan.

Remember, passport is good for like 15 years, so if 8 years from now you decide to head somewhere international, then you'd have to still get the more expensive version if you just opted for the card.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 05:19 PM)
For the record I got my passport pictures taken at the post office, so you might want to check to see if they offer that at your post office.

Keep in mind, the passport line itself won't be fast, and likely neither will the photo line if that's offered at the Post Office.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 05:04 PM)
As a Michigan resident, I can get an enhanced drivers license that works like a passport when going to Canada. Pretty cool.

I actually have one for New York. Used it all of once. Most people don't know what they are looking at when I hand it over.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
How soon do you need them? Costs are directly related to how long you can wait.

Basically, get a couple of passport photos taken at a local drug store or someplace similar, it's a normal service they'll offer for about $8 a set, then take those photos and the appropriate documents (usually compelted passport application forms, Social Security, Photo ID, and birth certificate) to an appropriate passport window (there is usually one at a post office if it's big enough, but go to the USPS's website and check for information on passports to make sure).

Then there will be a cost per passport. I believe if you have a long wait it's about $100 per passport currently, but you can expedite it to a couple weeks for a larger fee.

My wife just got her passport in under two weeks for the normal fee.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
Remember, passport is good for like 15 years, so if 8 years from now you decide to head somewhere international, then you'd have to still get the more expensive version if you just opted for the card.

It is good for ten.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 07:34 PM)
My wife just got her passport in under two weeks for the normal fee.

When did she apply? I think "Just before the summer" (aka right now) is their busiest time. Mine took about 8 weeks when I first got it, barely got it in enough time to make the trip.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)
When did she apply? I think "Just before the summer" (aka right now) is their busiest time. Mine took about 8 weeks when I first got it, barely got it in enough time to make the trip.

Mine took a month, in summer, a few years ago.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2012 -> 07:17 AM)

A month ago. When I got mine a few years back it was similar timelines.