Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody else been getting an exorbitant amount of phishing/spam e-mails recently? I always got the occasional one, but the last week my work e-mail has just been flooded with e-mails from Amazon, AT&T, Verizon, Citibank, etc.... All fake of course.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 17, 2012 -> 11:20 AM)
Has anybody else been getting an exorbitant amount of phishing/spam e-mails recently? I always got the occasional one, but the last week my work e-mail has just been flooded with e-mails from Amazon, AT&T, Verizon, Citibank, etc.... All fake of course.

The last week or so I get several a day telling me that my Amazon order was successfully cancelled, containing several links, all to places other than Amazon.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 17, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)
The last week or so I get several a day telling me that my Amazon order was successfully cancelled, containing several links, all to places other than Amazon.

Same here.

I enjoyed the college experience as much as anyone possibly could but the years after certainly don't have to be a downer. It took me a while to get my s*** together but now that I have I'm enjoying life more than I ever did in cdale and that includes partying just as hard on the weekends...

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 17, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)

Congrats. Let me know when Prince Bobo of Arabia wants to give you his fortune.

Edited by Steve9347

my wife and I are thinking of investing in a time share but I dont think we'll have enough $$$ to buy one directly. We're thinking of buying a timeshare resale.

Does anyone have any experience with this? And do you know of any good places to shop resales?

So last spring, first spring in an actual house I own (not a condo), I bought a lawn mower. Went with a cordless electric (Homelite 24V cordless) - similar price to a gas mower, but don't have to fuel it, its quieter, etc. Lawn isn't all that big anyway, we do have a corner lot, but its 65x145 if you include the parkways. Not huge.

Worked great last year, could finish the lawn with the battery still showing 50% when I was done, cut nicely, neighbors even asked about it.

Then this spring, I noticed it was struggling a lot more. Last time I mowed, it was dying at the end. Tried bump charging the battery, no help. Battery is dying.

Of course, the warranty on the battery is one year (5 years for the rest of the mower), and this is about 14 months in. Also noticed that, apparently, its not good for the battery to be left all winter without charging it. You are supposed to keep it on the trickle charger, or fully charge it once a month. I didn't do that.

So now, I have to buy a new battery...

--Went to Home Depot online, out of stock

--Went to the store, stores don't carry the battery

--Looked online anywhere, found only the unwired bricks (no case), and it was like $120 and up

--Called the phone number on the manual for the mower, the number is "no longer in use", says please contact your Home Depot store (I DID that already!)

--Found a phone number online for Homelite, called them, waited on hold... oh, actually, the mower has our brand but is made by American Lawn Mower, please call them at XXXXXXXX

--Called American Lawn Mower at XXXXXXXX, waited on hold, transferred, transferred, then found out that, oh, you need a new battery (no s*** sherlock), you need to call our parts dealer, Dixie Order Tree, at YYYYYYYYYYY

--Called Dixie Order Tree at YYYYYYYYYYY, waited on hold, finally reached some woman with a British accent (not from Dixie), who tells me I can either order the 2 battery bricks and re-wire it myself (for $90 shipped), or buy it with the drop-in case (for $180). And oh by the way, there are no instructions with the battery bricks, so make sure you make not of the wire connections when you take it apart.

I ordered the bricks.

Never, ever, EVAR buy a Homelite cordless mower. Find a better brand like Toro or Deere or something, they make cordless too, I think. Probably worth the extra money to not get a garbage product with garbage customer service.

I've killed a car battery before by neglecting to put it on a trickle charger.

When I was considering what line of cordless tools to go with a couple of years ago, one of the main influencing factors was picking a well-known, professional-grade brand that would be likely to support a given battery technology/style for several years (ended up going Makita). It seems like a lot of the less expensive, consumer-level cordless products are always switching battery styles around.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 22, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)
I've killed a car battery before by neglecting to put it on a trickle charger.

When I was considering what line of cordless tools to go with a couple of years ago, one of the main influencing factors was picking a well-known, professional-grade brand that would be likely to support a given battery technology/style for several years (ended up going Makita). It seems like a lot of the less expensive, consumer-level cordless products are always switching battery styles around.

That's interesting considering Makita just changed their style within the past few years.

They used to look like this:

makita_6019dwe.jpg

I have their 18V LXT Li-Ion line. When I got my first tool, it was pretty early in the life cycle of the line so I anticipated that it'd be around for a while.

People would be pretty angry if their $200-300 drills, saws etc. aren't supported after a couple of years.