Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my daughter is taking summer school in order to hopefully be able to pass on to 9th grade next year. The classes she struggled most with were social studies and science. She didn't do real well in reading and English either.

Summer school is 21 half-days (8:15 - 12:15) and they only have math, reading and English. On one hand I don't want to see her fall behind and have to repeat a grade. On the other hand, I'm not sure what good going to summer school will do her if they aren't even going over the subjects she really had trouble with. In fact, math is one of the classes she actually managed to pass.

21 half-days ≈ 14 full days of school. I don't see how that can make up for a full year of classroom time but they said if she passes summer school she can move on to 9th grade.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 02:54 PM)
307069_425387974168126_530942869_n.jpg

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/sharktank.asp

This isn't a photograph taken at Kuwait's Scientific Center (which does have a shark tank); it's a photo snapped at Toronto's Union Station which was shut down for several hours on 1 June 2012 after it was flooded with rainwater and sewage.

Second, no sharks were present in Union Station that day. This image is one of many Photoshop-produced memes that circulated on the Internet in the aftermath of the Toronto station flooding incident, several of which featured sharks.

599760_10150832079397063_514672062_10187

Oh man, so I'm pretty sure my wife's pregnant again. She hasn't had her period yet and keeps having to pee. My son will be 4 months old next Friday. Anyone else run into this situation before haha.

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 09:48 PM)
Oh man, so I'm pretty sure my wife's pregnant again. She hasn't had her period yet and keeps having to pee. My son will be 4 months old next Friday. Anyone else run into this situation before haha.

LMAO Carl. Time to start picking up extra shifts

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 09:48 PM)

Urinary tract infection could cause all that. Women who don't go to the bathroom immediately post coitus after not using any birth control are prone to those.

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 03:48 AM)

I didn't know a Duggar posted on this board!

:lolhitting

Edited by CrimsonWeltall

I'm really not an asshole, so I hope it doesn't come off like I am, but I think the father of Aimee Copeland (the girl with the flesh eating bacterial infection) needs to just stop. Maybe I just have a cynical view of people, but this has seemingly evolved (devolved?) into less about her and more about him (or something of the sort) over the course of things. Whatever it is, he's turned it into a spectacle.

"Copeland, 24, was hesitant to take morphine, telling her father she felt like "a traitor to her convictions." But her preferred method of pain management, meditation, proved no match for the sting of skin grafts and muscle flaps to close a gaping wound on her abdomen and groin."

I feel really awful for the girl, but way to portray her as the essence of purity and all that is fair when you're dropping lines like that... There's no way Lifetime hasn't approached him about turning this into a movie, but they themselves would probably try to tone it down a bit with the sugar and spice and everything nice fairy tales.

It's really unfortunate that this happened to her, but painting it as the greatest injustice suffered by a family ever is the wrong way to go about it. At least she's fortunate enough to be getting treatment. I'm sure there is a good number of people even here in America- forget about the traditionally poverty-stricken nations- that don't make it that far.

I received a letter from Lombard saying that First Energy Solutions is going to take over my electric bill from ComEd unless I opt out. Has anyone dealt w/ any of these new electric companies since the deregulation?

Any issues?

QUOTE (SnB @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 07:40 PM)
I received a letter from Lombard saying that First Energy Solutions is going to take over my electric bill from ComEd unless I opt out. Has anyone dealt w/ any of these new electric companies since the deregulation?

Any issues?

Won't have enough power to get you another 15K posts.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
I'm really not an asshole, so I hope it doesn't come off like I am, but I think the father of Aimee Copeland (the girl with the flesh eating bacterial infection) needs to just stop. Maybe I just have a cynical view of people, but this has seemingly evolved (devolved?) into less about her and more about him (or something of the sort) over the course of things. Whatever it is, he's turned it into a spectacle.

I feel really awful for the girl, but way to portray her as the essence of purity and all that is fair when you're dropping lines like that... There's no way Lifetime hasn't approached him about turning this into a movie, but they themselves would probably try to tone it down a bit with the sugar and spice and everything nice fairy tales.

It's really unfortunate that this happened to her, but painting it as the greatest injustice suffered by a family ever is the wrong way to go about it. At least she's fortunate enough to be getting treatment. I'm sure there is a good number of people even here in America- forget about the traditionally poverty-stricken nations- that don't make it that far.

I tried to do some research, but I don't see the Dad being involved much beyond speaking for the daughter since she's incapacitated. She's taking pain meds now apparently.

Whenever I hear the word "holistic" followed by anything medicine/health related, I quit listening. What a waste. I'm all for studying what your heart desires, but that's just stupid

Any issues?

First Energy is a pretty large power company in its own right, they're not some fly-by-night start up.

Any issues?

Sh*t, I think I threw that out without opening it assuming it was another solicitation for a switch.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 12:13 AM)
So I had those new McDonald's Orange Artic shakes. They are pretty damn good, and now my burps smell like fruit loops.

There's a place at the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World that sells something called the Citrus Swirl. Oh it's delicious. It's soft serve ice cream swirled with frozen orange juice.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 11:13 PM)
So I had those new McDonald's Orange Artic shakes. They are pretty damn good, and now my burps smell like fruit loops.

I tried this today on the way home from work based on this review and the legendary temperature inside my car after parking it and it's black interior entirely away from any sort of shade all day. It's an orange sherbet shake. Decent, but the McDonald's I have right by work is still offering Shamrock Shakes, so my hands are kind of tied.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 11:08 PM)
CLE credits blow.

+10000000000, though I found a pretty decent deal:

Wait until January to renew your membership to the CBA (prorated, so like 60 something bucks for me, a 4 year attorney). Then for $125 bucks you can sign up for their "CLE Advantage" program which gives you access to all their CLE seminars (past and future during your membership period). They have a pretty decent selection to choose from, so it's better than the $200 packages with random legal crap you'll never need.

There's also 7 hours of free professional responsibility credits through the ARDC (check the website) if you need more of those.

My favorite thing about this whole process was watching a "Hot Topics in Professional Responsibility" seminar with 5-6 OLD ass attorneys talking about ethics and some of the new changes. I mean, they were REALLY into it talking about hypothetical and what the rules say and the changes they need etc. This one guy, at the very end, just railed against the entire CLE requirement (keep in mind he was probably paid, or at the very least hired, as a presenter for this seminar by the CBA). His main point was the fact that, especially for professionally responsibility hours, the system is creating unethical lawyers - just about every lawyer has to certify that they watched/attended these seminars, but the vast majority either fall asleep and don't pay attention, or if they're on the computer they turn it on and stop paying attention. Apparently he's petitioned the IL Supreme Court for the accounting of the whole CLE program, but they denied it. So as of now we have no idea how much money is being made through this program and where the money is going. There's zero rules for accounting and the Supreme Court has denied any request to look into it.

I'm convinced the whole thing was created by a few of the big bar organizations as a way to make money and the justices were sold on it being a good idea to have a continuing education requirement.