2012 Films Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 08:07 AM)
Really liked The Cabin in the Woods. One of the better horror movies from the past few years.

It was certainly different and very bloody. Wasn't as scary as I had hoped but all in all it was pretty entertaining.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 05:57 PM)
Who wants to play Battleship?

One of the flimsiest game/source material/action figure connections ever made, trumping GI Joe and Transformers.

So far, the movie has performed well overseas, coming out May 17th stateside. It's becoming known as one of the loudest movies ever made. Interesting cast, with the Rihanna supposedly holding her own, Brooklyn Decker (yes, last seen in an Adam Sandler movie wearing, who guessed it, a bikini?) and Taylor Kitsch, who went from FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS to two of the biggest and most controversial movies of the year, Battleship and John Carter.

Interesting directing choice in Michael Bay...err, Peter Berg (yeah, the same guy who used to be on Chicago Hope as a doctor) and has gone on to a surprising directorial career.

That's pretty much the only reason I'm going to go see it. More for the experience and mindless action than anything.

BULLY is what everyone says it is. Would have liked to see one of the stories from the angle of a Bully or at least more about that but not only should young students see it, parents and school faculty should as well.

I saw THE LUCKY ONE. It's really bad. Not quite as bad as DEAR JOHN, but that's actually a big problem. DEAR JOHN is at least watchable, because you can sit there in awe as one of the worst movies in history unspools before your eyes. That's at least semi-entertaining. THE LUCKY ONE is just good enough to be incredibly boring.

I also watched this movie called STAR WARS. It's pretty good. You should check it out sometime.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 02:07 AM)
I really wish that Marvel could repurchase the rights to Spider-Man, X-Men, the Fantastic Four, and Daredevil.

Imagine a Civil War movie. THAT would be great.

Except please, no connection to JOHN CARTER. That $200 million writeoff forced Ross, the Disney studio head, to lose his job.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 04:06 AM)
Except please, no connection to JOHN CARTER. That $200 million writeoff forced Ross, the Disney studio head, to lose his job.

...John Carter has no connection to Marvel or the Civil War arc.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 04:06 AM)

LOL, not the US Civil war. The Marvel Civil war.

I just watched Robert Rodriguez's ROADRACERS. This is the second movie he ever made, and I've been trying to track down a copy for the past 14 years. Then I was just strolling through Best Buy, and there was the Blu-ray on the new release shelf for only $8!

As far as the movie is concerned, it's pretty good. Not as refined as some of his other work, but still solid. It's kind of crazy, and it sort of flies off the rails at the end. But David Arquette is good, and Salma Hayek is really hot, so there's that.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 03:12 PM)
Caulfield finally outsmarted himself.

LOL.

Maybe from being a history minor and the fact that I've been to nearly every Civil War battlefield in the US, lol.

Instead of going to Disneyland or SeaWorld, our family (because of my dad) took me all across the country to see those places....and actually, I have fonder memories of my childhood as a result, even though it was never my desire to become a "Civil War buff," as they're always made fun of on SNL, haha.

One of my cousins, Gary Clifton Wisler, wrote tons and tons of books (mostly young adult fiction) about the Civil War, Texas, cowboys and Indians...so that was always a part of life growing up. Some of them can probably still be found at amazon or at your local library. He even beat a Louis La'mour book once for the Western Spur writing award, if I remember correctly.

He actually had a heart attack when he was only 53, so I'm sure he would have been shocked to see what his Rangers have done the last two years, had he lived to see it.

As far as comic books/marvey civil wars, never paid much attention like some at this site do, although I've seen almost all of the comics-inspired movies, even silly ones like THE PUNISHER or GHOST RIDER.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 03:17 PM)
Watching Captain America now to get completely caught up for the Avengers movie.

It's kinda boring.

I disagree, but it is a origin movie, so there is a lot yet to come

I saw the new Richard Linklater movie, BERNIE, starring Jack Black and Shirley MacLaine. It's based on a true story about a funeral director who was so well liked in his community that everyone refused to believe he killed someone, despite the fact that he confessed.

It's really good. Very funny, but very dark. They do a good job of weaving actual historical accounts of people from the community into the fictionalized narrative. I highly recommend it.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 09:22 AM)
I really liked the Norton Hulk movie. The other Hulk movie was really bad.

I would have been interested to see Nortons cut of the Hulk. Him not returning to play Banner was a direct result of his disagreements with the editing of the movie.

I also enjoyed the second Hulk though, the end fight was awesome. The first one was all over the place, although the fight in the redwoods with the hulked out dogs was pretty awesome

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
I take it you're not counting the Bana or Norton Hulk movies....

Iron Man > Captain America > Thor > Iron Man 2

Correct on the Hulks. They were terrible, but I also think the Hulk is a garbage character.

To say Captain America was better than Thor is way off. Also, I don't get why people didn't like Iron Man 2. It's a really entertaining action movie. You can't compare an original to a sequel because the original has the back story, which if the character is any good should be the single best stand alone story. Comics aren't made for 2 hour movies. They develop story lines over many issues and weave things in and out like a TV show and you don't have time to do that with a movie. Once a movie character is developed in the original the sequel should be him showing off how bad ass he is, which Iron Man 2 did.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 11:17 AM)
Correct on the Hulks. They were terrible, but I also think the Hulk is a garbage character.

To say Captain America was better than Thor is way off. Also, I don't get why people didn't like Iron Man 2. It's a really entertaining action movie. You can't compare an original to a sequel because the original has the back story, which if the character is any good should be the single best stand alone story. Comics aren't made for 2 hour movies. They develop story lines over many issues and weave things in and out like a TV show and you don't have time to do that with a movie. Once a movie character is developed in the original the sequel should be him showing off how bad ass he is, which Iron Man 2 did.

But Tony Stark isnt even close to being developed yet from a comic standpoint. there is so much yet to happen in his character, his disagreements with allies like Cap and Thor seem to be woven into the Avengers, but there is a lot more coming. His alcoholism, health(nanotechnology), fights with the government, war machine. Iron Man 2 was decent, but it was fluff. it was a small bridge to the Avengers.

You dont like the Hulk, so its hard for me to argue his worth on screen with you. Some characters dont come off as well to others, i get that.

I dont understand the disdain for Captain America, I had a Indiana Jones-esque feeling throughout the entire movie, i loved the pace and the growth of his character.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 04:04 PM)
LOL.

Maybe from being a history minor and the fact that I've been to nearly every Civil War battlefield in the US, lol.

Instead of going to Disneyland or SeaWorld, our family (because of my dad) took me all across the country to see those places....and actually, I have fonder memories of my childhood as a result, even though it was never my desire to become a "Civil War buff," as they're always made fun of on SNL, haha.

One of my cousins, Gary Clifton Wisler, wrote tons and tons of books (mostly young adult fiction) about the Civil War, Texas, cowboys and Indians...so that was always a part of life growing up. Some of them can probably still be found at amazon or at your local library. He even beat a Louis La'mour book once for the Western Spur writing award, if I remember correctly.

He actually had a heart attack when he was only 53, so I'm sure he would have been shocked to see what his Rangers have done the last two years, had he lived to see it.

As far as comic books/marvey civil wars, never paid much attention like some at this site do, although I've seen almost all of the comics-inspired movies, even silly ones like THE PUNISHER or GHOST RIDER.

Caulfield, don't take this wrong, but I imagine if SoxTalk were a town, you would be the old man sitting on his porch in a rocking chair that confuses the s*** out everyone, but people like.