2012 Films Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ May 4, 2012 -> 05:13 PM)
Doubt I'll see a funnier movie than GOON this year. Hockey scenes were really well done.

When Sean William Scott is good in a movie he is very good. He's a decent actor and I think his bizarre jaw makes him likable.

Alison Pill has lost a ton of weight since Scott Pilgrim.

Liev Schreiber is pretty awesome in everything.

Hockey movies are f***ing great (yeah, the only other one I can think of is Slap Shot), I think they create the most interesting characters, the supporting actors tend to make these movies (both of them).

Oh yeah and Goon is outstanding, terrific hockey sequences, the first 12 minutes are terrific and had me worrying that the movie would lose steam, fortunately it did not. There's no bulls***, not a bit and I love it.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 4, 2012 -> 06:42 PM)
When Sean William Scott is good in a movie he is very good. He's a decent actor and I think his bizarre jaw makes him likable.

Alison Pill has lost a ton of weight since Scott Pilgrim.

Liev Schreiber is pretty awesome in everything.

Hockey movies are f***ing great (yeah, the only other one I can think of is Slap Shot), I think they create the most interesting characters, the supporting actors tend to make these movies (both of them).

Oh yeah and Goon is outstanding, terrific hockey sequences, the first 12 minutes are terrific and had me worrying that the movie would lose steam, fortunately it did not. There's no bulls***, not a bit and I love it.

Pretty much dead on.

Can only think of Slap Shot? Um, quack-quack-quack..... :P

One thing about Goon, just thought of it now, there was an annoying scene in the film: I do not claim to be a Hockey expert but does the "A" on a player's chest not stand for "alternate" as in "alternate captian"? Well I do believe they say in the movie that the man with the "A" is the "assistant captain", not a big inconsistency but that's pretty weak considering a hockey novice like myself noticed it. And yes, I know that "assistant" is considered acceptable (by some at least) but would the coach of the team use this term? I think not, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Watched Drive tonight, and I liked it. It kinda dragged a bit in the middle before the plot developed, but overall it was entertaining. The soundtrack was quite interesting though, as people mentioned before. Decent flick.

I've got Girl With the Dragon Tattoo for tomorrow.

His easlier work is clearly his best.

A lot of people hated Alice in Wonderland, Sweeney Todd and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I'd probably go with Sleepy Hollow for the best of the more recent purely live action movies. Corpse Bride was so-so, but love Edward Scissorhands (that's when half of us had crushes on Winona Ryder) and Ed Wood about equally. One of my best friends and I still throw out random quotes from that movie 15-20 years later.

Burton is remaking his 1984 short film Frankenweenie as a feature-length stop motion film, distributed by Walt Disney Pictures.[20] The film is set to be released on October 5, 2012.[21]

On January 19, 2010, it was announced that after Dark Shadows, Burton's next project would be a Wicked-like film that showed the origin and the past of Sleeping Beauty's antagonist Maleficent. In an interview with Fandango published February 23, 2010, however, he denied he was directing any upcoming Sleeping Beauty film.[22] However, on November 23, 2010, in an interview with MTV, Burton confirmed that he was indeed putting together a script for Maleficent.[23] It was announced in The Hollywood Reporter on May 16, 2011 that Burton was no longer attached to Maleficent.[24] (This is the movie with Angelina Jolie playing the title role.)

Burton will also co-produce Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter with Timur Bekmambetov, who will also serve as director. The film, set to be released on June 22, 2012, is based on the novel by Seth Grahame-Smith, also author of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, who also wrote the film's screenplay. It has also been reported that Burton will be directing a 3-D stop-motion animation adaptation of The Addams Family, which was confirmed by Christopher Meledandri.[25] On July 19, 2010, he was announced as the director of the upcoming film adaptation of Monsterpocalypse.[26]

from wikipedia.com

Weird, can't find much at all about The Addams Family movie or Monsterpocalypse. Guess they're both stalled, since those projects were both announced/started way back in 2010.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Brian @ May 11, 2012 -> 03:54 PM)
Skip Dark Shadows. I maybe done with Burton. Awful

Oh no...I had such high hopes...:(

I finally got around to watching Warrior...WOW...amazing movie (I know, a BIT unrealistic), but I think that just landed a place in my top 5 all-time movies...

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 4, 2012 -> 09:48 PM)
One thing about Goon, just thought of it now, there was an annoying scene in the film: I do not claim to be a Hockey expert but does the "A" on a player's chest not stand for "alternate" as in "alternate captian"? Well I do believe they say in the movie that the man with the "A" is the "assistant captain", not a big inconsistency but that's pretty weak considering a hockey novice like myself noticed it. And yes, I know that "assistant" is considered acceptable (by some at least) but would the coach of the team use this term? I think not, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I grew up in a hockey family, and played hockey growing up, and have always known it to mean "Assistant Captain", so no, I don't think it would be wrong for a coach to ever say it as such.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 13, 2012 -> 09:39 PM)
Honestly, that looks pretty terrible.

Normally I'd agree when Will Ferrell is involved, but I laughed pretty hard a couple times at that trailer.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 13, 2012 -> 09:47 PM)
I grew up in a hockey family, and played hockey growing up, and have always known it to mean "Assistant Captain", so no, I don't think it would be wrong for a coach to ever say it as such.

The A stands for "Alternate"

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 13, 2012 -> 10:30 PM)
Normally I'd agree when Will Ferrell is involved, but I laughed pretty hard a couple times at that trailer.

The Other Guys really was surprisingly not so bad, some might even argue good or at a bare minimum, entertaining.

Nobody can hate on "Old School," except for Greenwich Village film critics.

I thought Everything Must Go was one of his better dramatic roles. By the way, has anyone seen Casa de mi Padre yet, the one where he speaks Spanglish the whole time (not to be confused with the terrible Adam Sandler movie).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 13, 2012 -> 10:30 PM)

Maybe it's just because they are taking 2 characters those actors have already done (Ferrell as a politician all the time on SNL, and Galifinakis as his gay twin brother) that it seems too forced and cheesy.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24