Jason Frasor Traded to Jays

Baron

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 12:57 PM)
Because he just got a few more pitchers for him? Isn't it obvious that they felt they could trade him at some point and get some value out of him?

There doesn't seem to be much "value". The 22 year old has been terrible and the other kid the Sox passed on drafting 17 times. I don't necessarily think this is a bad trade, it may enable the Sox to sign the Cuban or bring someone else on board, but the current return is really nothing and considering they could have let him walk for nothing, it makes picking up his option a curious decision, but as it works out, no harm, no foul.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
There doesn't seem to be much "value". The 22 year old has been terrible and the other kid the Sox passed on drafting 17 times. I don't necessarily think this is a bad trade, it may enable the Sox to sign the Cuban or bring someone else on board, but the current return is really nothing and considering they could have let him walk for nothing, it makes picking up his option a curious decision.

Frasor is a solid bullben guy, picking up the option was fine. Any team would have traded for him.

There doesn't seem to be much "value". The 22 year old has been terrible and the other kid the Sox passed on drafting 17 times. I don't necessarily think this is a bad trade, it may enable the Sox to sign the Cuban or bring someone else on board, but the current return is really nothing and considering they could have let him walk for nothing, it makes picking up his option a curious decision.

Just because someone is drafted in the late rounds, doesn't mean he will be a bad player.. Look at Buehrle or Piazza

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
There doesn't seem to be much "value". The 22 year old has been terrible and the other kid the Sox passed on drafting 17 times. I don't necessarily think this is a bad trade, it may enable the Sox to sign the Cuban or bring someone else on board, but the current return is really nothing and considering they could have let him walk for nothing, it makes picking up his option a curious decision, but as it works out, no harm, no foul.

Jaye has some value. The Sox and others likely passed on him because he was seeking and received an overslot bonus. Hopefully you know by now how utterly cheap the Sox are in the draft.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 01:08 PM)
Jaye has some value. The Sox and others likely passed on him because he was seeking and received an overslot bonus. Hopefully you know by now how utterly cheap the Sox are in the draft.

Maybe the guy KW hired from Toronto has a boner for the guy, but KW did risk over $3 million on Frasor for at least a little while. I doubt the plan was to pick up his option and trade him before spring training, although I suppose its possible. Again, I'm not upset about this trade. Its really a salary dump and I don't think of Frasor as much of a difference maker, although he can be really good.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 01:15 PM)
I'd probably agree. Just saying Jaye is mildly interesting as a prospect.

According to Sickels, these guys aren't in Toronto's top 25, so while there is always a chance either could pan out, they probably won't, which indicates to me, salary dump.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 02:20 PM)
According to Sickels, these guys aren't in Toronto's top 25, so while there is always a chance either could pan out, they probably won't, which indicates to me, salary dump.

Both of them are down at A ball/recent draftees, so even if they wind up being great pitchers, they woulnd't be highly ranked yet.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 01:17 PM)
I would also trade Thornton, AJ, Ohman and Crain

I think you trade either Ohman or Thornton, but not both. I'd love to get rid of Ohman for something. Nobody will want A.J. at $6 million.

I actually think it'd be a good idea to keep Floyd. If you couldn't get what you wanted for Danks, Floyd won't get you anything better.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 02:14 PM)
We need to start bringing players that can play on our 25 man roster, we have lost 8 players that was on our team last season.

Well, we can then add De Aza, Viciedo, Reed, Axelrod, Flowers, and maybe 1 more bullpen guy like Infante or just give up on Stewart as a starter and put him there. Maybe Santiago thrown in as well if we can clear a spot for a LHP in the bullpen.

We could use a backup IF.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)

Of course it's a salary dump. But Jaye is interesting. Not Nestor Molina interesting, but a projectable prep arm interesting. And not being in the top 25 doesn't tell the whole story considering the Blue Jays have the best farm system in baseball.

Baseball is such a funny sport. You can have a MAJOR flaw in your game, like control issues as a pitcher -- which I'd say is the ONE thing most pitchers need to have to make it -- and still get drafted. Can you imagine a QB that overthrew his receivers all the time getting picked?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
Both of them are down at A ball/recent draftees, so even if they wind up being great pitchers, they woulnd't be highly ranked yet.

One guy was drafted in 2009, the other in 2010. If they had shown they were future major leaguers, they would crack a team's top 25.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
Baseball is such a funny sport. You can have a MAJOR flaw in your game, like control issues as a pitcher -- which I'd say is the ONE thing most pitchers need to have to make it -- and still get drafted. Can you imagine a QB that overthrew his receivers all the time getting picked?

brett-favre-vikings.jpg

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)
Well, we can then add De Aza, Viciedo, Reed, Axelrod, Flowers, and maybe 1 more bullpen guy like Infante or just give up on Stewart as a starter and put him there. Maybe Santiago thrown in as well if we can clear a spot for a LHP in the bullpen.

We could use a backup IF.

You don't think that Lillibridge, Oswaldo Martinez, Tyler Kuhn or Escobar could fill that role?

Or you want a more experienced/seasoned guy?

In other words, we essentially have spent $700,000 more on last year's draft...another way to look at it. If you add that $700,000 investment, what would that make the Sox total for 2011 signees that are now in the system?

QUOTE (Cali @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)

On the flipside, there are plenty of "receivers" in the NFL, making millions who have a tough time catching the ball.