And Iran, Iran so far away...

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)
I was just about to say their actions and their words don't add up. But then again Israel is about as big of a liar as there is on the world stage. How long did it take them to admit they had the bomb?

Technically they have never publicly done so, because under the terms of the Nonproliferation Treaty, the rest of the world would be compelled to impose substantial sanctions on them I believe.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 09:43 AM)
I was just about to say their actions and their words don't add up. But then again Israel is about as big of a liar as there is on the world stage. How long did it take them to admit they had the bomb?

Aside from the implications of not disclosing a facility years ago, what is the evidence that Iran is actually pursuing nuclear weapons?

eta I'm not sure what meta political victory Israel would be gaining from openly stating that they do not believe Iran is actively pursuing or attempting to pursue nuclear weapons.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)
eta I'm not sure what meta political victory Israel would be gaining from openly stating that they do not believe Iran is actively pursuing or attempting to pursue nuclear weapons.

At least that article, btw, is a "Leak", not "openly stating".

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 10:51 AM)
Whoops, read "will present" and expanded it larger than it really meant.

Yeah, that's what Ha'aretz is saying they will present as their assessment in private to visiting U.S. defense officials. Not a public statement.

I believe that Barak did have a public statement yesterday saying that an attack would be a long way away if it happened (see here).

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 09:47 AM)
Aside from the implications of not disclosing a facility years ago, what is the evidence that Iran is actually pursuing nuclear weapons?

Not opening up the public situation of having to "fix the glitch" so to speak.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs reportedly told Israel that if they choose to attack Iran, they will be on their own.

That's the kind of move you make when you expect something to actually happen.

And it just came out today, Iran is blocking IAEA from gaining access to one of the nuke facilities.

• 1 year later...
DEAL RT @EUHighRepSpox: #EU High Rep #Ashton: "We have reached agreement between E3+3 and Iran."

— Laura Rozen (@lrozen) November 24, 2013

@ Laura Rozen:

Wow

Ministers will sign Iran nuclear deal at the Palais and then Ashton, Zarif, Kerry and others will brief

@AP:

BREAKING: French foreign minister: Iran, 6 world powers reach deal on Iranian nuclear program