2012 Book Thread

Texsox

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 15, 2013 -> 12:23 PM)
Anyone planning to read Inferno by Dan Brown? In looking at some of the reviews, I didn't realize there was so much love/hate for him and his books. I won't buy it until it's under $10 for the Kindle, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it like I've enjoyed all of his other books.

Currently reading it. Pretty much the same as all the others. Like it better than Lost Symbol so far.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 15, 2013 -> 12:23 PM)
Anyone planning to read Inferno by Dan Brown? In looking at some of the reviews, I didn't realize there was so much love/hate for him and his books. I won't buy it until it's under $10 for the Kindle, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it like I've enjoyed all of his other books.

I probably will. His books are fun, quick reads.

I read the first 50 pages of "Wool" today and am ready for more.

I liked the Dan Brown book...but I'm not sure it's worth buying.

Better to reserve it from your local library. (In my hometown, there's a program where you can pay $2-3 for "rapid read" popular books that just came out).

However, here in China, had to buy through NOOK/Barnes&Noble.

Better than the Lost Symbol, about equal with Angels & Demons...personally, I enjoyed the "overpopulation/Malthus/WHO" scientific side of it, but that was kind of underplayed compared to the travelogue of Florence, Venice and Istanbul.

There weren't nearly as many symbols or codes in this one, so if you really like that aspect of his work (going back to Digital Fortress and Deception Point), then you'll surely be disappointed.

Same formula....international intrigue....nefarious forces, hooks up with brainy/troubled/enigmatic sidekick girl in late 20's/early 30's with a hint of romance in the air but also the age difference hanging over them, etc. etc.

Edited by caulfield12

Here's my recent reading list for anyone who wants a review

Black Holes & Time Warps (book that new Christopher Nolan movie INTERSTELLAR is based on)

Wild, From Lost to Found on the Pacific Trail

Inferno

Ready Player One

Gone Girl, Sharp Objects, Dark Places=Gillian Flynn, local Kansas City/KU writer

Pound Foolish (for those interested in investing)

What Money Can't Buy (Harvard philosophy professor Michael Sandel)

The Racketeer

Man Gone Down

Newlyweds

People Who Eat Darkness

11/22/63

The Fault in Our Stars...great book, more for someone between 14-22, but extremely well-written

Divergent

Insurgent

The End of Your Life Book Club

Outliers---Malcolm Gladwell

Pacific Rims (about the love of all things basketball/NBA in the Philippines, chronicles a PBA professional team for one year)

Deciding from for next book....The Bling Ring OR

http://www.amazon.com/And-Mountains-Echoed..._dp_s_cp_3_EENZ

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ May 24, 2013 -> 10:39 AM)
Apologies if this has already been covered in this thread, but has anyone read the Dark Towers series from Stephen King? Seems like a very large committment and I'd like some thoughts before I dive in.

dive in

• 2 weeks later...

I started a wonderfully different book last night. "Man in the Empty Suit". I'm flying through it. It's all about this guy who can time travel and every year he goes to the same spot to celebrate his birthday - and it's basically a convention of himselves at different ages. So every year he is seeing the party from a new perspective. All the sudden one of the years gets murdered at the party. Insane. Totally different. Very excited to finish it.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ May 24, 2013 -> 10:39 AM)
Apologies if this has already been covered in this thread, but has anyone read the Dark Towers series from Stephen King? Seems like a very large committment and I'd like some thoughts before I dive in.

The first book is a bit slow and can be a little disconcerting at first but it’s a pretty short read. There are a few things that you might not pick up on unless you go back and read it again after you've read all the books.

It really gears up in the 2nd book when more major characters are introduced and it’s hard to turn back after that point.

If at all possible, try not to read any spoilers regarding the ending to the 7th and final book.

Many of his other books/stories reference back to this series. A few characters from his other novels pop up in the last book as well.

It is a big commitment but well worth it IMHO.

Some of the ones that have more obvious connections are IT, Hearts In Atlantis, Insomnia, Everything’s Eventual, The Talisman and it’s sequel Black House.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 06:36 PM)
Read Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods, his story about hiking (part of) the Appalachian Trail. Really tempted to burn some FF miles, jump on a plane and head out east to do some hiking.

Have you read LOST, the Cheryl Strayed (sp?) book about hiking the Cascade Trail on the west coast?

Maybe you can meet ex-Gov. Sanford out there, haha.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 07:40 PM)
Have you read LOST, the Cheryl Strayed (sp?) book about hiking the Cascade Trail on the west coast?

Maybe you can meet ex-Gov. Sanford out there, haha.

My wife just read that and is on her way to hike the Camino de Santiago.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 07:36 PM)
Read Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods, his story about hiking (part of) the Appalachian Trail. Really tempted to burn some FF miles, jump on a plane and head out east to do some hiking.

I finished that in one night. Great book.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else read Seal Team Geronimo yet? Very interesting read if not. One of the interesting things stated in there is that chemical weapons were in Iraq, and they were used against our troops in IEDs there. They basically stated that Al Qaeda got ahold of them after Saddam fell, which is why the GOP never tried to refute the whole "WMDs in Iraq" thing. Al Qaeda having them is worse than egg on Bush's face for them not being there. The Dems never said anything because they have always been right if there were no WMDs, plus it allowed them to leave Iraq and fulfill their promise to leave.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 03:37 PM)
I started a wonderfully different book last night. "Man in the Empty Suit". I'm flying through it. It's all about this guy who can time travel and every year he goes to the same spot to celebrate his birthday - and it's basically a convention of himselves at different ages. So every year he is seeing the party from a new perspective. All the sudden one of the years gets murdered at the party. Insane. Totally different. Very excited to finish it.

Wait, what. That sounds awesome.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 10:00 AM)
Anyone else read Seal Team Geronimo yet? Very interesting read if not. One of the interesting things stated in there is that chemical weapons were in Iraq, and they were used against our troops in IEDs there. They basically stated that Al Qaeda got ahold of them after Saddam fell, which is why the GOP never tried to refute the whole "WMDs in Iraq" thing. Al Qaeda having them is worse than egg on Bush's face for them not being there. The Dems never said anything because they have always been right if there were no WMDs, plus it allowed them to leave Iraq and fulfill their promise to leave.

lol

edit: I'll have to double-check tomorrow but several people at my work are close with people in the special forces community and they usually don't have kind things to say about these books. I think I remember this one being mentioned specifically as pretty bad. On the other hand, Chris Kyle's book "American Sniper" is supposed to be accurate and reliable.

edit2:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/11/ir...arget-geronimo/

To read SEAL Target Geronimo is to get sucked into a vortex of WMD insanity. Pfarrer says that Saddam Hussein had dangerous, active chemical, biological and nuclear programs up until the day of his downfall. Worse, those weapons made it into the hands of Osama himself. Why didn’t you know about it? Because craven politicians and the lying media hid the truth about what U.S. military weapons experts uncovered.

Well, sorry, Charlie. I was one of those military experts in Iraq. I learned the full, underwhelming truth about Saddam’s programs because I was there to help the Iraqis settle the issue once and for all. And SEAL Target Geronimo’s claims are the literary equivalent of a smoking gun that could have been a mushroom cloud — a paranoid, evidence-free fantasy, fueled by ignorance.

Edited by StrangeSox

I'm about 3/4's of the way through Devil in the White City right now. It's a non-fiction story of the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago, Burnham's work to make it all happen and H.H. Holme's parallel tale of serial murders. I don't know how I've gone my whole life living near Chicago and watching and reading local documentaries without hearing this story.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 04:53 PM)
I'm about 3/4's of the way through Devil in the White City right now. It's a non-fiction story of the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago, Burnham's work to make it all happen and H.H. Holme's parallel tale of serial murders. I don't know how I've gone my whole life living near Chicago and watching and reading local documentaries without hearing this story.

That's a great book.

I just finished my annual, non-fiction "baseball book" (I try to read at least one per season). This year its was "56: Joe DiMaggio and the Last Magic Number in Sports" by Kostya Kennedy. He did a good job telling the story of the streak and setting it against the backdrop of what was happening in America in the pre-war Summer of 1941, and interspersing comments from more recent "streakers" like Rollins, Molitor and Rose, although I could have done without the last chapter on statistical probability. I recommend it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 03:37 PM)

Just ordered it

• 3 months later...