My patience is running out with KW

SOXOBAMA

on this off season.

We need at least 3-4 bullpen spots filled, a starting OF, backup middle IF, and get our minor leagues on solid ground.

The team on the north side seems to be making changes daily, I think the talent they are bringing in SUCKS but at least they are major league talent. Plus they got Rizzo and might get Jacob Turner or Nick Castellanos.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do you get the idea that we need a starting OF? We came into this offseason needing to get rid of OF and we did that.

IMO DeAza is not a starting OF..

if DeAza is the starting CF than we need to sign a 4th OF.

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)

De Aza may not be a starting OF, but he absolutely deserves a shot to see if he is one.

And right now, Brent Lillibridge is a solid option as a 4th OF, with a legit shot of moving ahead of Rios if he can repeat last year's performance somehow.

You're correct that we need something in terms of backup IF. That may come from our system, but there's no need to rush on that, backup IF's can be found in February or even March if we decide that guys like Kuhn and Escobar aren't capable of handling that role.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 09:09 AM)

I've never been sold on DeAza being a starting OF either, but I believe the way he played last year he at least deserves a shot. I also believe that KW is gonna make a legit run at Cespedes. In either case we do have Lillibridge who is a more than adequate 4th outfielder. I think we have enough arms in the minors to fill out the bullpen, but I imagine KW will throw out a couple minor league deals to some older relievers at the end of the road hoping they can find a little magic. No specific names come to mind, but that's the kind of thing he likes to do.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 10:16 AM)
I've never been sold on DeAza being a starting OF either, but I believe the way he played last year he at least deserves a shot. I also believe that KW is gonna make a legit run at Cespedes. In either case we do have Lillibridge who is a more than adequate 4th outfielder. I think we have enough arms in the minors to fill out the bullpen, but I imagine KW will throw out a couple minor league deals to some older relievers at the end of the road hoping they can find a little magic. No specific names come to mind, but that's the kind of thing he likes to do.

I'd rather take my chances with De Aza then sign Cespedes. With Rios, Peavy and Dunn unable to earn their money, the White Sox can risk spending money on Cespedes. IMO

De Aza may not be a starting OF, but he absolutely deserves a shot to see if he is one.

And right now, Brent Lillibridge is a solid option as a 4th OF, with a legit shot of moving ahead of Rios if he can repeat last year's performance somehow.

You're correct that we need something in terms of backup IF. That may come from our system, but there's no need to rush on that, backup IF's can be found in February or even March if we decide that guys like Kuhn and Escobar aren't capable of handling that role.

I am more worried about our bullpen situation. We could possibly have 3-4 holes in the pen, cause Ohman is worthless. If any of our pitching gets injured, we are totally screwed. We just don't have the resources in the minors to replace people.

I hope KW starts bringing people into this organzation

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
I am more worried about our bullpen situation. We could possibly have 3-4 holes in the pen, cause Ohman is worthless. If any of our pitching gets injured, we are totally screwed. We just don't have the resources in the minors to replace people.

Will Ohman is not worthless, Will Ohman is a solid 2nd lefty, LOOGY. He still held lefties to a .234 average/.677 OPS last year, he just had a manager who insisted that he needed to be able to get righties out as well. He's a very useful piece if used correctly, in a deep bullpen where you use him to get out key lefties more than anything else, and you hide him from tough righties. He ought to still have some trade value even, if teams realize they're weak against LH batting.

We're going to be "Totally screwed" if anyone gets hurt. THat's the end result of last year's mess. We need a whole lot to go right to be competitive anyway.

QUOTE (striker @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
I'd rather take my chances with De Aza then sign Cespedes. With Rios, Peavy and Dunn unable to earn their money, the White Sox can risk spending money on Cespedes. IMO

Peavy's off the books next year and with the money saved from the CQ and Frasor deals and the failure to resign MB I think the money is there. It appears that Cespedes's price tag is dropping from what people were originally speculating.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 09:20 AM)

Our deepest minor league position is reliever, we actually have quite a few interesting possibilities going into spring training, especially from the recent trades.

And why worry so much about a bullpen for a very likely under .500 team?

Peavy's off the books next year and with the money saved from the CQ and Frasor deals and the failure to resign MB I think the money is there. It appears that Cespedes's price tag is dropping from what people were originally speculating.

I would love for the Sox to sign Cespedes but I think he will be signing with the Marlins.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 09:26 AM)
We've 2 holes on our bench as we stand right now..

In a year considered rebuilding, these types of spots will be filled by youngsters or a late vet signing to help coach some younger guys (think Vizquel).

Why waste money on guys that may give you a few hundred ABs on a non competitive team? Your concerns make no sense.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 10:26 AM)
We've 2 holes on our bench as we stand right now..

And this is normal in January. You don't run out and offer big money to backups to fill out the bench. You offer minor league deals in February to guys who can't find anyone to offer them a starting job.

The "team on the north side" just ate 15 million dollars and is looking to eat another 20+ if they trade Soriano. Unless JR opens the wallet, that's not happening here.

And upset because we don't have a backup IF? Really?

The team on the north side looks to be bringing in 2-3 top 100 prospects in baseball..

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)
The team on the north side looks to be bringing in 2-3 top 100 prospects in baseball..

Their best prospect in return is Rizzo and he got exposed big time in the bigs, and could very well be a product of a hitter friendly PCL.

No one else they got is rated all that highly, intriguing but nothing great.

To bring in that return they'd have to trade Garza, and so far no one has paid the price they are looking for.

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)

What? First of all, so far they have traded away more prospect value than they have gotten back. Second, the Sox are the team who has begun raking in good prospects so far, not the Cubs.

And as for the bullpen, the reality people keep forgetting is that there are very few truly consistently solid non-closer relievers in baseball. And they cost a lot of money for a guy who pitches an inning every few days. When on the other hand, one thing the Sox farm system actually has is some degree of RP talent. It really only makes sense to open up 2 or 3 slots for that crowd I listed in the Bullpen thread, and see who handles it well. They'll be cheap, and you can cycle through a few of them until you find the right mix. I think the 'pen will be extremes in 2012, with some really bad moments, but as the season goes on I think we'll see the rise of 2-3 darn good relievers who are cheap and under long-term control.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 09:28 AM)
And this is normal in January. You don't run out and offer big money to backups to fill out the bench. You offer minor league deals in February to guys who can't find anyone to offer them a starting job.

There's also a lot of time to bring in some bullpen arms on minor league deals too.

Right now, the concern should be on the potential big moves like trading Floyd or signing Cespedes. If Floyd returns, then Axelrod is all but a guarantee for the bullpen IMO, so that's one less spot to fill. If we bring in Cespedes, then Lillibridge can spend most of his time in the IF, so the need for a veteran backup IF becomes less critical. The big dominos need to fall before we worry about the little ones.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
According to reports Garza to the Tigers is getting close. Plus the Rizzo trade was outstanding for them

And according to reports the White sox were about to get Kyle Drabek from the blue Jays. "Getting a top prospect" doesn't mean anything if the guy doesn't turn out, and "Reports that getting a top prospect will happen" mean less than nothing.

Their best prospect in return is Rizzo and he got exposed big time in the bigs, and could very well be a product of a hitter friendly PCL.

No one else they got is rated all that highly, intriguing but nothing great.

To bring in that return they'd have to trade Garza, and so far no one has paid the price they are looking for.

The same stuff was said about Konerko, when he was in the PCL.