Top 10 Prospects (From BA)

Cerbaho-WG

Simply because BA is copyrighted and a subscription service, I don't really care to post the entire article.

However, I'll write up a bit on Gonzalez and Webster from what I read on their site.

- Andy Gonzalez: SS, 5th round pick (2001) 21 years old, bats and throws R, 6-2, 175 lbs.

Should start next year at low class A and has a chance to be the regular SS in a couple of seasons. A solid hitter, but his best tool appears to be his arm.

- Anthony Webster: OF, 15th round pick (2001) 19 years old, Bats L, Throws R, 6-0, 190 lbs.

Should also start at low class A next season with Gonzalez. Has all the tools to become an all-star including a patient eye at the plate. Drew as many walks as strikeouts and is compared to a young Marquis Grissom.

Hope this helps.

What I also found interesting in the article was the belief that Corwin Malone could join the rotation by the second-half of next season if completely healthy according to BA. It is believed he will begin the 2003 season in the Charlotte rotation. They also feel that Felix Diaz will either start the season at Charlotte or end up there by season's end.

I'm definitely looking forward to watching both of these guys develop next season along with Rauch and Honel.

This is correct, he hasn't played a full season of pro ball yet. This upcoming year should tell us a lot about him and how he is going to develop. Sounds like he will do well though based on Baseball America's assessment.

I really think we will see BA rank us as one of the top 5 organizations in all of baseball.

After one year, it looks like they had one of the best drafts in the majors last year, as did the Chicago Cubs.

Of course, it takes a long time to truly judge a draft, but the Sox found a ton of talent in later rounds and I love knowing that we have a guy that knows his stuff when it comes to building a farm system.

Rarely do we have empty spots where their aren't any prospects. The systems are all pretty even, although the higher levels are a bit thin, since most are at the major league level now. Still, they have Diaz and Rauch already their as well as Hummell and Borchard.

Guest hotsoxchick1

yeah but those guys are also on the 40 man and can be called up at anytime when someone goes down with the injury bug or something... so they dont have them for good just remember that.... whos going to show these young guys who are headed up, how things go in the higher levels of the farm....lol.......i can hardly wait till i get to birmingham this year.. that team is going to look a whole lot different... damn im going to have to get used to new names all over again.....lol

Originally posted by hotsoxchick1

yeah but those guys are also on the 40 man and can be called  up at anytime when someone goes down with the injury bug or something... so they dont have them for good just remember that.... whos going to show these young guys who are headed up, how things go in the higher levels of the farm....lol.......i can hardly wait till i get to birmingham this year.. that team is going to look a whole lot different... damn im going to have to get used to new names all over again.....lol

did the top 100 list come out yet?

Guest hotsoxchick1

no the list didnt come out yet... but unlike jas i think we wont be seeing too many sox on it this time around... most of the good ones are already up here..... lol....

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

Then others that should make it are Webster, Gonzalez, and Malone (Maybe, he had a down year, due to injury).  Almonte could make it too, but I doubt it.

i really doubt it, but it would be nice. i still have faith in strumm.

Guest hotsoxchick1

can we really consider borchard, rauch and olivo prospects anymore.. i mean they have all had play time of sorts up here at the major level now.........not like they are the kids from down below any longer........lol...almonte should be on that list though ill give ya that... he didnt do too bad last season and i know that if we still had him, valentine would be in the top 10 most likely.............

Guest hotsoxchick1

ok but do they consider them prospects then... maybe i should have asked it that way....lol...........i think we see olivo and rauch with starting jobs out of spring training.... not too sure about borchard though... depends on if lee stays or goes......

Originally posted by hotsoxchick1

ok but do they consider them prospects then... maybe i should have asked it that way....lol...........i think we see olivo and rauch with starting jobs out of spring training.... not too sure about borchard though... depends on if lee stays or goes......

i wouldn't consider borchard a prospect according to BA standards.