PENN STATE SCANDAL

Texsox

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 12:53 PM)
He did the minimum. More is expected. If I reported something to my boss about a guy raping a kid and nothing was being done, if I had JoePa's pull, I'd make sure something was done.

There is no doubt Sandusky is the criminal here, but there is zero excuse that Paterno didn't do enough, and he himself acknowledged that.

I agree he only did the minimum and more is expected. Let's go one step further, if you or I saw someone raping a kid we would have called the police immediately. We would not have waited until the next day and went to our boss. If someone told you that the previous day that someone you have known and trusted for two decades was (which version do you want to use here) doing something appropriate, you would probably have a hard time believing that they waited to report to you if the situation was rape. He now has to believe one assistant watched a child being raped and didn't call police and the rapist was a trusted friend. Hindsight is 20/20. I do not believe in my heart that when Paterno went to his boss he was trying to cover up the story or wanted children harmed. Only the most inept person would cover something up by getting more people involved, and people with the duty to report.

I believe he did not do enough and perhaps trying to live with that hastened his demise. In my limited knowledge of Paterno, I do not see any evidence that he was the kind of person to knowingly allow something this horrific to continue. I do not think he would have had any peace in life, I hope he has that in death.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 02:30 PM)
Wow, Sandusky issued a statement regarding JoePa's death. What a f***er.

If he is guilty, and I believe he is, he is the biggest idiot on the planet. He should have crawled under a rock and did everything possible to go away. He seems to believe he didn't do anything wrong.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
If he is guilty, and I believe he is, he is the biggest idiot on the planet. He should have crawled under a rock and did everything possible to go away. He seems to believe he didn't do anything wrong.

And when he walks around town or shows up in court decked out head to toe in PSU gear.

What is statement was

This is a sad day! Our family, Dottie and I would like to convey our deepest sympathy to Sue and her family.

Nobody did more for the academic reputation of Penn State than Joe Paterno. He maintained a high standard in a very difficult profession. Joe preached toughness, hard work and clean competition. Most importantly, he had the courage to practice what he preached. Nobody will be able to take away the memories we all shared of a great man, his family, and all the wonderful people who were a part of his life.

What it should have been

I am a pedophile and my actions harmed many people including Joe Paterno whose legacy is forever tarnished by my sick actions. I will now kill myself. I hope the kids who I abused will find some peace in their lives. /bang

Sandusky may be the worse human on the planet who hasn't killed anyone. And hell, if someone claims he killed Paterno with the scandal, I wouldn;t disagree.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 03:27 PM)
Yes, RIP indeed. This was a good man, great coach who had a big lapse in judgement and acknowledged that. Hopefully the true culprits, the one who committed the acts and the one who actually SAW a crime taking place, get what's coming to them.

Holy s***. I agree with you. This must be a first.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 02:27 PM)
Yes, RIP indeed. This was a good man, great coach who had a big lapse in judgement and acknowledged that. Hopefully the true culprits, the one who committed the acts and the one who actually SAW a crime taking place, get what's coming to them.

J4L my friend, this is your best post.

And Sandusky is one of the worst humans alive. Paterno would most likely be alive and getting ready to die in peace if not for him.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 02:27 PM)

This. The man f***ed up. There's not a single person who deserves the last 3 months of this mans life to ever happen to them. The disrespectful post about not resting in peace etc in this thread are sickening.

Remember Joe Paterno didn't rape anyone. Yet people act like he did.

RIP Joe Pa

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 04:32 PM)
J4L my friend, this is your best post.

And Sandusky is one of the worst humans alive. Paterno would most likely be alive and getting ready to die in peace if not for him.

I've been consistent from the beginning. I know JP f***ed up. He's admitted that from the beginning and he's paid the price. I'll save my true rage for baby killers and s*** like that. I've got too many of my own demons that need exorcising before I condemn an elderly man for making a mistake. The true monster here is and always has been Sandusky. Closely followed by the spineless coward that is Mike McQueary.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 05:57 PM)
I've been consistent from the beginning. I know JP f***ed up. He's admitted that from the beginning and he's paid the price. I'll save my true rage for baby killers and s*** like that. I've got too many of my own demons that need exorcising before I condemn an elderly man for making a mistake. The true monster here is and always has been Sandusky. Closely followed by the spineless coward that is Mike McQueary.

Bravo.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 05:54 PM)
This. The man f***ed up. There's not a single person who deserves the last 3 months of this mans life to ever happen to them. The disrespectful post about not resting in peace etc in this thread are sickening.

Remember Joe Paterno didn't rape anyone. Yet people act like he did.

RIP Joe Pa

Yep.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 04:57 PM)

I get your point, but after JoePa f***ed up, more boys were raped. After they "banned" Sandusky from the campus, he was still seen all around with the boys. JoePa ran that football program and campus, if there was anyone who could have done something, it was him. But he didn't. Sandusky is definitely the true monster, but JoePa could have and should have done way more to stop it while it still went on.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 04:57 PM)

Not pardoning Paterno does not mean Sandusky isn't a monster or MCp**** wasn't spineless. Bulls***

I don't care how great a coach he was. There's no f***ing way you can claim "ignorance" in a case of child rape. He did the bare minimum in terms of legality. Whoop dee f***ing doo. A man who preached morals let YEARS pass with nothing happening to that monster. I personally can't imagine HOURS passing before asking what the hell is going on. I also refuse to believe that "what impact will this have on the school and the football program?" never crossed his mind.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 05:30 PM)
I get your point, but after JoePa f***ed up, more boys were raped. After they "banned" Sandusky from the campus, he was still seen all around with the boys. JoePa ran that football program and campus, if there was anyone who could have done something, it was him. But he didn't. Sandusky is definitely the true monster, but JoePa could have and should have done way more to stop it while it still went on.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)
Not pardoning Paterno does not mean Sandusky isn't a monster or MCp**** wasn't spineless. Bulls***

I don't care how great a coach he was. There's no f***ing way you can claim "ignorance" in a case of child rape. He did the bare minimum in terms of legality. Whoop dee f***ing doo. A man who preached morals let YEARS pass with nothing happening to that monster. I personally can't imagine HOURS passing before asking what the hell is going on. I also refuse to believe that "what impact will this have on the school and the football program?" never crossed his mind.

Honestly, I'm not getting into this debate again. JP was stupid, naive, whatever you want to call it. He trusted those above him to handle the situation and it didn't get handled. He didn't see anything. All he had was somebody tell him that something happened. THAT'S the person that should've went to the cops right then and there. I'm done with this. If you want to mock the man's death, have fun. I'm not. He was a good man. f*** it. A great man as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
Honestly, I'm not getting into this debate again. JP was stupid, naive, whatever you want to call it. He trusted those above him to handle the situation and it didn't get handled. He didn't see anything. All he had was somebody tell him that something happened. THAT'S the person that should've went to the cops right then and there. I'm done with this. If you want to mock the man's death, have fun. I'm not. He was a good man. f*** it. A great man as far as I'm concerned.

Who mocked his death?

I just have an issue with his MASSIVE mistake, which could have prevented children from being raped, gets casually tossed aside now that he's dead.

When you are the most important person on the whole campus, you should take care of it yourself, not pass it along to your "superiors". But whatever, we don't need to get this whole debate going like you said.

I will say that from all accounts JoePa seemed like a great guy for 99.9% of his life. But that 0.1% may have ruined several kids' lives, so I don't think you can just ignore it.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 06:37 PM)

Amen.

Great post

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 05:43 PM)
Who mocked his death?

I just have an issue with his MASSIVE mistake, which could have prevented children from being raped, gets casually tossed aside now that he's dead.

Rowand did. A few others. lol@casually tossed aside. The guy was fired from his job and his legacy is forever tainted. What more do you want?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 05:45 PM)
When you are the most important person on the whole campus, you should take care of it yourself, not pass it along to your "superiors". But whatever, we don't need to get this whole debate going like you said.

I will say that from all accounts JoePa seemed like a great guy for 99.9% of his life. But that 0.1% may have ruined several kids' lives, so I don't think you can just ignore it.

Ahhh, so since Joe was a famous icon, he was supposed to go all Law and Order Special Victims unit? Was he supposed to be detective Stabler? Yes, he should've followed up and made sure the situation was handled or in the process of being handled. That was the crucial mistake. Besides that, sorry. This is all Sandusky/McQueary

I'm not much of a death pool person, but it wasn't too hard to see this coming, even without the cancer. To fall from grace as swiftly as he did, have the only way of life he knew for decades being taken away from him, along with the scrutiny that followed, those are ripe conditions for an 85 year old to give up.

It sucks that the PSU scandal will be part of his obituary, but such is life.