PENN STATE SCANDAL

Texsox

Before this keeps going...just a note...the guy is dead...This is the kind of thread that will provoke some emotional reactions if people decide to push things. That's all I'll say for now, just stop and think whether a particular post will get under someone's skin excessively because of the circumstances.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To add to the sentiments that have been made by many:

Paterno was supremely negligent, the entire administration at PSU too. Paterno seemed like a decent human being, and was a great college football coach. I think he has been deservedly shamed by the whole incident, with his legacy at PSU rightfully tarnished forever. That punishment seems appropriate to me.

The guy only had second hand information, could he had done more yes but he reported it to the people in charge and went on. If he was the guy who witnessed it I would feel a lot different about the situation, now if it was that prick who witnessed the crime and died I'd have no sympathy.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 05:54 PM)
Rowand did. A few others. lol@casually tossed aside. The guy was fired from his job and his legacy is forever tainted. What more do you want?

Ahhh, so since Joe was a famous icon, he was supposed to go all Law and Order Special Victims unit? Was he supposed to be detective Stabler? Yes, he should've followed up and made sure the situation was handled or in the process of being handled. That was the crucial mistake. Besides that, sorry. This is all Sandusky/McQueary

Besides that, kids got raped. Sorry.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 06:59 PM)
Damn straight I mocked his death and I'll continue to do so. You can look at it anyway you want, the bastard enabled child rape. f*** him.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 07:00 PM)
Amen

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 07:03 PM)
:cheers

I take it all 3 of you have never made any mistakes in your lives. And none of your loved ones that you've lost have ever made any mistakes. How would you feel is someone mocked their death

I'll leave it at that. Not worth the arguing.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 06:05 PM)
I take it all 3 of you have never made any mistakes in your lives. And none of your loved ones that you've lost have ever made any mistakes. How would you feel is someone mocked their death

I'll leave it at that. Not worth the arguing.

I guarantee you all 3 of them made mistakes in their lives. I highly doubt any of their mistakes helped enable a child rapist.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 07:04 PM)
The guy only had second hand information, could he had done more yes but he reported it to the people in charge and went on. If he was the guy who witnessed it I would feel a lot different about the situation, now if it was that prick who witnessed the crime and died I'd have no sympathy.

Both of them did the legal minimum. You are either outraged at both or neither.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 06:14 PM)
Trust me, I've made more mistakes by 24 than most people do their entire life but what Paterno enabled is more than a mistake.

And if I had a family member do what Paterno did I at the very least would have no contact with that person.

No you wouldn't. You wouldn't cut off your father, brother, uncle or somebody you were really close to for being a clueless moron.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 06:17 PM)
No you wouldn't. You wouldn't cut off your father, brother, uncle or somebody you were really close to for being a clueless moron.

A clueless moron? We aren't talking about somebody cheating on their taxes or stealing booze from a grocery store. It's child rape. Kids' entire lives have been destroyed.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 07:20 PM)
A clueless moron? We aren't talking about somebody cheating on their taxes or stealing booze from a grocery store. It's child rape. Kids' entire lives have been destroyed.

Isn't it funny how people protect a guy who managed to become the most powerful man on Penn State's campus and an icon in college football by comparing him to a clueless moron?

The mistake Joe Pa made was not making sure that what Sandusky had done in the past got investigated by following up on what he had reported to his superiors. If that was the extent of it then it would be a lot easier to move past. However, thats not where it ended. Sandusky was allowed to remain a part of the program and used those resources to continue to rape children. I personally dont buy into the crazy old man defense, he did the bare minimum to avoid getting himself into trouble and then basically cleared his conscience of it because the man accused was a friend.

Clearly nobody is dismissing Sandusky and McQueary, but just because what those two did was worse doesnt mean that what Joe Pa did isnt terrible and borderline criminal. Im not the type of person to celebrate someones death but in this case I certainly wont be mourning it either. I dont doubt that jp lived 99% of his life as a model citizen and role model but that 1% is inexcusable. To say "Oh he made a mistake, havent you ever made a mistake?" Are you f***ing serious? No I have never let someone get away with raping multiple children under my watch. But if I did I suppose its nice to know Ill have a bunch of people on the internet defending my actions, well I guess I would if I was a legendary football coach at least, maybe not now.

Could Joe Pa have prevented the rapes that happened before he was informed of what McQueary saw? Obviously no. Could he have prevented the ones that happened after? Obviously yes. Inexcusable. Not just JP either, every person who was informed of what happened in that shower that didnt do something, anything, to make sure whatever was going on was put to an end does not deserve any sympathy.

Edited by DrunkBomber

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 06:13 PM)
Both of them did the legal minimum. You are either outraged at both or neither.

Not really since Paterno had nothing, if he reported it they'd just ask if he witnessed the crime and if he said no he heard about it from a friend well that does no good. I'm also sure one of these kids had to tell their parents at some point who reported it to the cops so they knew something was going on.

Amazing that some people will condemn a man and his entire life because of one mistake. If someone had to judge your legacy and life on this earth and only used the worst moment of your life you'd probably all look really s***ty too. No one deserves to be judged by their worst moment or mistake except the actual killers and rapist.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 06:20 PM)

Look, I just watched a YT vid the other day of a crazy f***ing b**** yelling "DIE! DIE!" as she's stabbing her infant child in the background of a 911 call made by some dope that didn't feel the need to try and stop the b**** first and then maybe make the call. That's the type of s*** that deserves limitless fury. You're just looking at the end result of this particular situation. Intent is big with me. Joe P indirectly contributed to an atrocity. Nobody is denying that. If Mike M had gone to the cops immediately after he saw what he saw, that would've been that.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 06:41 PM)
Amazing that some people will condemn a man and his entire life because of one mistake. If someone had to judge your legacy and life on this earth and only used the worst moment of your life you'd probably all look really s***ty too. No one deserves to be judged by their worst moment or mistake except the actual killers and rapist.

A lot of it isnt condemning the man, its condemning his legacy, and rightfully so. People also arent only using the worst moment of his life to judge him. I dont think hes rotting in hell or is the definition of evil or anything. However, he deserved to be removed as coach and he deserves to have his legacy tarnished. Multiple children, who did nothing wrong, will NEVER have a chance to live a regular life and all that had to be done to prevent that was for someone to go to the police. If you were the parent of one of these children I wonder if youd be saying the same thing. "Ya I know my son was raped and will probably have psychological problems his entire life, but JP went to his superiors and thats all thats asked of him in the eyes of the law so meh, no biggie."

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 06:38 PM)
Not really since Paterno had nothing, if he reported it they'd just ask if he witnessed the crime and if he said no he heard about it from a friend well that does no good. I'm also sure one of these kids had to tell their parents at some point who reported it to the cops so they knew something was going on.

Wow, just wow.