Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what exactly are the Bears waiting for in signing offensive linemen? We clearly need at least two (center and tackle), and probably need another guard, as well. The Bears are under the cap by a significant margin, which makes me pissed when I see them taking their sweet-ass time.

Do the Bears management realize that the team only won 11 games largely through smoke and mirrors? Everyone in the division is getting better, meanwhile Jerry Angelo naps on the job.

Kreutz is unlikely to return, per JD and Wright at ESPN 1000.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 05:36 PM)
So what exactly are the Bears waiting for in signing offensive linemen? We clearly need at least two (center and tackle), and probably need another guard, as well. The Bears are under the cap by a significant margin, which makes me pissed when I see them taking their sweet-ass time.

Do the Bears management realize that the team only won 11 games largely through smoke and mirrors? Everyone in the division is getting better, meanwhile Jerry Angelo naps on the job.

Do explain this..

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 09:16 PM)
Bears sign Marion Barber. NOW SIGN KREUTZ (or Chris Spencer).

If Tice thinks the team is better without Kreutz, that I understand. He might or might not still have something in the tank, that's hard for me to know without being a coach.

But They need at least 1 more body there if they're going to go into this season with an upgraded line. They can't go from Kreutz to no one, or from Kreutz to Garza with a new Guard opening, and expect to be any better than last year.

Kreutz is not the same player as years past (in fact.. he was really bad last season). I hope the Bears go in another direction. At the same time, they are letting their options for the OL slip away.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 09:43 PM)
Kreutz is not the same player as years past (in fact.. he was really bad last season). I hope the Bears go in another direction. At the same time, they are letting their options for the OL slip away.

I don't think anyone here would really be mad if the Bears let Kreutz walk...you're right he wasn't good last year, but there has to be a person in that spot. Something needs to be done to upgrade that position if he isnt' coming back.

To say their letting options get away is overreacting. I posted a page or 2 back all of the FA options still out there at OL.

Chris Spencer, Kyle Cook, or Shaun O'Hara can be Kreutz's replacement. I'm one of the few who, knowing Kreutz was bad last year, wishes he'd come back from a leadership perspective.

If they can sign Justin Blalock and O'Hara/Cook/Spencer, the OL would be upgraded with the drafting of Carimi.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 12:57 AM)
If Kreutz is not going to be re-signed, we better be signing O'Hara or Spencer tomorrow. If Garza is the starting center this year...

Initially, I set the O/U on this board for 4.5 wins in 2011 for the Bears if Kreutz leaves, and of course I got a smarta** response from none other than Steve.

I say 4.5 because while I truly don't think Kreutz is worth that big of a dropoff, I don't trust the FO to bring in a veteran. Rather, there would be a dropoff if they let him walk and put Williams, Garza, or E.Williams at C.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)
Kreutz wasn't really that much of a help last season.

If they get a better OL to replace him they'll win 9 or 10.

Last year's 11 was a fluke.

I disagree, Bears got a little lucky last season but they also didn't even try against GB in week17 and had a couple losses against the Seahawks/Redskins that more likely would be wins if replayed.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 12:11 PM)
I disagree, Bears got a little lucky last season but they also didn't even try against GB in week17 and had a couple losses against the Seahawks/Redskins that more likely would be wins if replayed.

knight predicted 5 wins last season, so it makes sense that he thinks it was all a fluke

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 01:11 PM)

Yeah...that was an 11 fluke win team that could have been a 12 or 13 win team if they game-planned a little more effectively early in the season.

That said...they could have been a 15 win team if they had a moderately good O-Line, and they're a body short on there now.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 12:11 PM)

I wouldnt count on playing all those back-up quarterbacks this year