Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)
The more I read the more it seems like Ruskell may end up just getting promoted to GM. And that is extremely depressing and frustrating.

After hearing Brad Biggs on Mully and Hanley this morning, I texted the exact same thing to my buddy. And really, the bears painted themselves into a corner with this exact scenario by declaring Lovie untouchable and also promoting Tice to OC and planning to hire a QB coach/passing game coordinator this week. Basically the Bears have told any incoming GM, "we are giving Lovie this year to win, if he doesnt he is gone". What is the point in putting your name on that mess right now? Just let whatever happens, happen. If the Bears fall off a cliff, then the entire front office through the coaching staff are canned and someone gets to come in to do whatever they want. Or, Ruskell comes in, does a good job patching holes, and the Bears compete and everyone gets extended.

Either way, Ted Phillips made a horrible decision and told the world about it when he said Lovie was staying and now the Bears job is not very desirable considering the circumstances and the alternatives. It is a GM job, so it is desirable and will be filled, but probably not in the way we fans think it should be.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 04:09 PM)
After hearing Brad Biggs on Mully and Hanley this morning, I texted the exact same thing to my buddy. And really, the bears painted themselves into a corner with this exact scenario by declaring Lovie untouchable and also promoting Tice to OC and planning to hire a QB coach/passing game coordinator this week. Basically the Bears have told any incoming GM, "we are giving Lovie this year to win, if he doesnt he is gone". What is the point in putting your name on that mess right now? Just let whatever happens, happen. If the Bears fall off a cliff, then the entire front office through the coaching staff are canned and someone gets to come in to do whatever they want. Or, Ruskell comes in, does a good job patching holes, and the Bears compete and everyone gets extended.

Either way, Ted Phillips made a horrible decision and told the world about it when he said Lovie was staying and now the Bears job is not very desirable considering the circumstances and the alternatives. It is a GM job, so it is desirable and will be filled, but probably not in the way we fans think it should be.

So f***ing dumb. This Bears organization is run by idiots. I don't understand how this franchise has managed to win only one "championship" in the last 48 years.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

I don't think keeping Lovie is idiotic because honestly, he's done the best job with crap that I've seen. The mistake was already dictating other moves like promoting Tice, or saying you're going to hire a passing coordinator. That put the nail in the coffin. They're going to end up with some garbage GM.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 05:09 PM)

Really?

I just don't believe this whatsoever.

If I am an up and coming NFL FO employee, I see a charter organization that is relatively well run financially, has a top 10 qb in the prime of his career, an incredible fanbase, and an aging, but talented defense. Oh, and Matt Forte (as much as I still believe he is overrated). I see a successful, soft-spoken head coach that's allowed his offense to be handled by a gimmicky OC, a run-first conservative OC, and Mike freaking Martz. I don't get the hesitancy to work with Lovie. He seems open to anything that will produce victories on the football field.

Maybe I'm wrong though...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 05:25 PM)
Really?

I just don't believe this whatsoever.

If I am an up and coming NFL FO employee, I see a charter organization that is relatively well run financially, has a top 10 qb in the prime of his career, an incredible fanbase, and an aging, but talented defense. Oh, and Matt Forte (as much as I still believe he is overrated). I see a successful, soft-spoken head coach that's allowed his offense to be handled by a gimmicky OC, a run-first conservative OC, and Mike freaking Martz. I don't get the hesitancy to work with Lovie. He seems open to anything that will produce victories on the football field.

Maybe I'm wrong though...

The GMs hands are tied at this point if he sees anything staff-wise that he wants to change. Any GM coming in basically has the job of filling out the personnel on the team and that's it.

If you get your first GM gig, you don't want to be able to pick out some of your own coaching staff?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 06:41 PM)
The GMs hands are tied at this point if he sees anything staff-wise that he wants to change. Any GM coming in basically has the job of filling out the personnel on the team and that's it.

If you get your first GM gig, you don't want to be able to pick out some of your own coaching staff?

Sure...but do I want the Jacksonville or Rams job instead? I dunno...I don't think so.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 06:57 PM)
Sure...but do I want the Jacksonville or Rams job instead? I dunno...I don't think so.

Jacksonville could be LA in a few years, that job could easily become a very desirable position. Rams I will give you, but Fisher seems to want the coach job pretty bad so he must see something he likes.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 08:11 PM)
Jacksonville could be LA in a few years, that job could easily become a very desirable position. Rams I will give you, but Fisher seems to want the coach job pretty bad so he must see something he likes.

The Rams job is nice because you have Bradford and Long and probably can trade the #2 pick...but I'm talking about a GM perspective...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 02:42 AM)
The Rams job is nice because you have Bradford and Long and probably can trade the #2 pick...but I'm talking about a GM perspective...

plus if you succeed in STL you can open up a s***ty restaurant and people will go to it no matter what.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 07:11 PM)

I'm hoping that with a Univ of Illinois guy buying the team he'll bring them to Chicago. I don't know that I'll be a fan (right away), but I sure as hell would like the Bears to be a little nervous and have to work for a better product.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
I'm hoping that with a Univ of Illinois guy buying the team he'll bring them to Chicago. I don't know that I'll be a fan (right away), but I sure as hell would like the Bears to be a little nervous and have to work for a better product.

He has zero connection to the Chicago area.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
So f***ing dumb. This Bears organization is run by idiots. I don't understand how this franchise has managed to win only one "championship" in the last 48 years.

The McCaskeys need to just seriously go away.We will never have a top notch organization until they die or something.

Not sure if this has been said, but isn't Ruskell's contract the same length as Lovie's? Would it be so horrible, since they already have Lovie here with the new GM, to put Ruskell in for a year, see how they do and if they fail miserably, to jettison the bunch and start fresh without having to pay double salaries? I know it isn't the best position, but as has been said, the Bears painted themselves into a corner...this is the way out.

Unless they succeed...then we are all screwed.

The McCaskeys need to just seriously go away.We will never have a top notch organization until they die or something.

George Halas doesn't like you.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)

There are 4 or 5 McCaskey boys, and there are grandkids. Unless there is some crazy scenario where they all decide to sell(the family owns an 80 percent stake in the Bears), you better sit back and accept the fact that the McCaskeys will be at the top of the organizational pyramid for the rest of your days

A source tells the Indianapolis Star that Kerry Collins didn't actually have "concussion-like symptoms" when the Colts sent him to injured reserve in late October.

Collins saw the writing on the wall, realized he wasn't helping a team going nowhere, and reportedly approached the front office about letting him retire in Nashville. The source also indicated that Collins gave the Colts "a break" on the $4 million contract signed just before the start of the season.

Rotoworld

Colts should be fined heavily for faking IR injuries.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 12:31 PM)
There are 4 or 5 McCaskey boys, and there are grandkids. Unless there is some crazy scenario where they all decide to sell(the family owns an 80 percent stake in the Bears), you better sit back and accept the fact that the McCaskeys will be at the top of the organizational pyramid for the rest of your days

Very true sadder words have NEVER been written in this thread! :crying

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 12:47 PM)
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Raiders have fired coach Hue Jackson.

Reggie Mckenzie is not messing around.

It's a good thing they let Jackson trade away 1st round draft picks to obtain a bad QB that couldn't lead them to the playoffs in a garbage division.