Fielder to Detroit 9 years $214million

southsider2k5

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

Interesting SPECULATION from a club VP: If Fielder takes 1-yr deal, DET would be great fit. Could use insurance $ from Victor to sign him.

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

Martinez makes $13 m; if DET recoups 75 pct. through insurance,a 1-yr. deal with Prince costs $16m or so, in effect. Again:Just speculation.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 02:02 PM)
Maybe Fielder will suck ... just like another overpriced slugger who is overweight in the same division.

Just saying, you never know.

LOL, I like the way you think greg. I would say highly doubtful, but then again, no one could have predicted Dunn's 2011 season either.

I can't wait for people to say we need to keep Thornton around in order to try and shut down Prince. I don't think the Sox are the losers here, the real losers in this are the Royals. If the Tigers dominate for the next 3-4 years, then the Royals young studs are going to be too expensive to keep around.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 03:08 PM)
You pick.

10 years, $250 for Pujols

9 years, $214 for Fielder.

I'll take Pujols.

Especially when you consider the potential weight issues.

Imagine Prince and Cabrera hitting the buffet together.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 03:07 PM)
I can't wait for people to say we need to keep Thornton around in order to try and shut down Prince. I don't think the Sox are the losers here, the real losers in this are the Royals. If the Tigers dominate for the next 3-4 years, then the Royals young studs are going to be too expensive to keep around.

This does not make the tigers a "3-4 year dominant team" any more than any other move they've made. I'm sure the freakout will make it seem that way immediately, but seriously, go look at the numbers.

They're going to have something like $80 million tied up in 4 players through the end of 2014. Read that number again and think about that. The rest of their roster will have to earn less than the Marlins for that team to not lose a ton of money. And 3 of them effectively play 2 positions.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
They're going to have something like $80 million tied up in 4 players through the end of 2014. Read that number again and think about that. The rest of their roster will have to earn less than the Marlins for that team to not lose a ton of money. And 3 of them effectively play 2 positions.

Aren't they already losing a ton of money? Isn't that Illitch's thing? He doesn't care and just wants to win.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 08:11 PM)
This does not make the tigers a "3-4 year dominant team" any more than any other move they've made. I'm sure the freakout will make it seem that way immediately, but seriously, go look at the numbers.

How does adding one of the top 5 players in all of baseball not make the class of the division even better? It's not like that 80 million is tied up in bad players like it is with other teams (ie: White Sox).

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 03:14 PM)
How does adding one of the top 5 players in all of baseball not make the class of the division even better? It's not like that 80 million is tied up in bad players like it is with other teams (ie: White Sox).

In what world is Prince Fielder one of the top 5 players in all of baseball?

You could argue that he's something like the 5th best first baseman.