FutureSox 2012 Preseason Top 25 Prospects

danman31

2012 Preseason Top 25 White Sox Prospects

With ballots from myself, Scenario, NorthSideSox72 and DirtySox we came up with a top 25 rankings for the system. We had several ties (Reed/Molina was one) that were broken via voting from the admin/mod team to give us a little more variety than four voters. AP poll style ranking.

Be sure to click on a players name for his prospect profile.

How did we do? What's your top 25 look like? Maybe we can have a broader community list as well if enough people are interested.

Credit to Matt (NSS72) for writing the absurdly long post.

Very well done list. I see lots of pitchers, a few middle infielders, and one 1st baseman...and two catchers. In the opinions of those better versed in the minors, is in concerning to not have a good potential replacement for Konerko? I imagine having pitchers, outfielders, and middle infielders is more important (as 1st base seems to require less athleticism), but after years of having a good power-hitting 1st baseman, what does the future hold for the Sox once Konerko leaves or retires (hopefully the latter)?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
Very well done list. I see lots of pitchers, a few middle infielders, and one 1st baseman...and two catchers. In the opinions of those better versed in the minors, is in concerning to not have a good potential replacement for Konerko? I imagine having pitchers, outfielders, and middle infielders is more important (as 1st base seems to require less athleticism), but after years of having a good power-hitting 1st baseman, what does the future hold for the Sox once Konerko leaves or retires (hopefully the latter)?

The system definitely lacks in 1B's and power hitters, even more so than it does in other areas. Wilkins is the one guy who might fit both bills, but 2012 will be a good indicator if that will really happen. Certainly he's worth keeping an eye on for that purpose.

The only other power hitter in the system, at least at this point, is Trayce Thompson. But he is still very raw, hasn't hit for a solid average yet, and strikes out a metric f***-ton.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 10:14 AM)
The system definitely lacks in 1B's and power hitters, even more so than it does in other areas. Wilkins is the one guy who might fit both bills, but 2012 will be a good indicator if that will really happen. Certainly he's worth keeping an eye on for that purpose.

The only other power hitter in the system, at least at this point, is Trayce Thompson. But he is still very raw, hasn't hit for a solid average yet, and strikes out a metric f***-ton.

Is that an industry unit of measure?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)

You don't really draft for first basemen. They happen more organically. Even Konerko didn't start there. Generally speaking, the system lacks good hitters. Most of the best ones the Sox have are high upside/high bust rate players with limited success so far.

The pitching depth in the system is getting to be pretty good. They have loads of potential future relievers, which is why trading Santos and Frasor was sustainable. There are a handful a potential decent starters as well, but Sale, Danks and Floyd may have to be the anchors of the rotation for a while.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)
You don't really draft for first basemen. They happen more organically. Even Konerko didn't start there. Generally speaking, the system lacks good hitters. Most of the best ones the Sox have are high upside/high bust rate players with limited success so far.

The pitching depth in the system is getting to be pretty good. They have loads of potential future relievers, which is why trading Santos and Frasor was sustainable. There are a handful a potential decent starters as well, but Sale, Danks and Floyd may have to be the anchors of the rotation for a while.

If the system is finally able to produce a legit outfielder in a couple of years (Thompson?), I look for Dayan to be manning 1B around that time.

• 2 weeks later...