7-Year Old Girl Cut From Baseball Team

hogan873

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
Oh Christ, get over yourself.

The coach apparently has made a decision, which appears to be within his power, to move the team to a more competitive, all-boys league. Also, apparently, that girls' brother could be moved to a league where she can play if it's such a big deal to him.

The title of the article was so ridiculously leading that it honestly did not originally warrant a read. This is the internet. "Oh hey, look controversy! Get me clicks, get me reads, woooooo!!! I have written something completely leading and made assumptions and presented it mostly as fact!"

There are options for this girl. There are options for her brother if he in fact has any interest playing on a team where they point out his sister is better than he is (sounds fun). There are places this family can go. Instead, let's start a big piss party about it and try to stop a team from playing more competitive rosters next year.

Fun for everyone. Make sure they all get a trophy, too.

Regardless of the questionable wisdom behind pushing to get a group of 7-year-olds into a "more competitive" baseball league, the unnamed coach himself insisted in his conversation with their mother that Anna was a better player than her younger brother, even though Carson would be allowed to keep playing while Anna would not. In addition to Anna, one other girl and other boys that had played on the team are reportedly being cut to make the team more competitive.

This whole article is bulls***. The above paragraph completely ignores the point. That girl could hit 30 homeruns (yes, of course exaggerating) in a season and it still wouldn't matter. Why?

BECAUSE THE LEAGUE DOESN'T ALLOW GIRLS TO PLAY.

"I root for her on the team, and she's just a good person to play with on the baseball team," Carson Kimball told KDFW. "I just think if I can't be on the same team as my sister I should just quit on the team I was playing."

Jeez, even the 6 year old understands it. Find a new team if you have to play with your big sis. That's sure going to be healthy moving forward, by the way.

So yes, NSS, your ability to impregnate a woman and your esteemed history of umping baseball in high school clearly make your opinion much better than anyone else's here. My stance is that this article is trying to create news where news isn't... these parents have options.

Good post. Well, except the last sentence, I have no idea what my being a guy has to do with this conversation. My opinion is just that - an opinion, based on some background.

I don't really agree it is creating news, I think it brings up a good discussion. Which it has. But I see where you are coming from. Also, the problem more than anything isn't the league rules, it is the coach of such a young team deciding to move their team to be "more competitive". At that age, that, IMO, is just an adult wanting to address his own failings. It isn't about the kids, and that is sad.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)
It is sexist to believe females should not be allowed to play alongside males in sports?

No, it is sexist to say that people are being "p*****s" (or the like) because they are upset about a first grade girl being cut from baseball. That is the context, and why it is sexist and somewhat offensive. Actually even without the context, the use of the term is denigrating.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
If I'm never going to get a chance to play I might as well be a waterboy in that case..... I'm assuming your talking about highschool in which case I'd rather play on the JV team than sit on varsity and if you aren't good enough to play on JV you probably need to take up a different sport/hobby.

All levels. Our teams do not start until 7th grade.

And many do choose to quit rather than continue to attend practices. But you would be surprised how many keep playing only in practice. We dress out about 80 for a football game, play maybe 50 or 60, but there are more on the roster.

The point is, we believe the coaching we provide should be available to any eligible student. That there are positive and important life lessons that can be learned in practice.

The ugly side here is coaches do not like "sharing" players and there is a lot of pressure to be a one sport athlete and prepare year round for that sport. Especially if your sport is football.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
I confess I was referring to kids older than that in the subject of this article....I was more responding to Tex's comments than the article in question...at 6-10 or so, I agree kids need to engage athletics as much for pure exercise as for any sportsmanship or learning experience. But once you start talking about 6th grade and up, you need to start introducing real competition, and part of what comes along with that is the idea that some kids are more talented than others, someone always loses, and sometimes you just have to sit back and let the more important people do their thing.

By middle school, you absolutely should have winners and loser.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:18 PM)
Yes, but that wasn't what I was address. It's sexist to use a slang term for female genitalia as a euphemism for being weak, cowardly, etc

Oh please.

To a few posters that post quite often in the Buster, maybe in your never-ending quest to become perfect, politically correct and omniscient human beings, you could get over yourselves for a long enough time to stop criticizing every little thing everyone else does and focus on your own failings.

I have some great workout routines I could recommend.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:18 PM)
Yes, but that wasn't what I was address. It's sexist to use a slang term for female genitalia as a euphemism for being weak, cowardly, etc

OMG. The political correctness police is a perfect example of what people were b****ing complaining about on the last page.

I don't know about the others but when I made the horrendous reference that is being discussed it wasn't meant to be directly about this particular case, but more about an overall direction our society is heading. People just like to complain and feign offense just for the sake of it.

As for this particular case, if there is no female alternative I think it is discriminatory and should not be allowed to take place. However, if there is, there is nothing wrong with the decision that took place. Purposefully or not, the article does not make mention of the situation so based on that article alone we do not know what the exact case is.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)

By 10 you should have winners and losers. Imagine playing civic soccer or basketball or little league and not keeping score. That's ridiculous.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)
It is sexist to believe females should not be allowed to play alongside males in sports?

Yes.

Define: Sexist: discriminatory on the basis of sex (usually said of men's attitude toward women).

A better question might be, is it always wrong to not allow men and women to play alongside each other? There we may have a much different discussion. We could split the sports into contact and non contact sports. We could look at sports with mechanical equipment like NASCAR. We could look at ones with fine motor skills like pool versus gross motor skills like shot put.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 03:16 PM)
At that age, that, IMO, is just an adult wanting to address his own failings.

You do realize what happens when you assume, correct? There is absolutely ZERO background for the coach or his funding. Perhaps the coach is also the sponsor is also the owner of a local hardware store? There are SO MANY unanswered questions to this non-story. However, now some guy somewhere you know absolutely nothing about is immediately the villain. It's easy to take your stance. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! THAT MAN IS HORRIBLE! WHAT A LOSER HE COULDN'T MAKE IT TO THE BIG LITTLE LEAGUES NOW HE'S FORCING THIS POOR GIRL AND HER FAMILY TO GO THROUGH SUCH DISCRIMINATION!!

Goodness, people with real problems should be the ones who are offended.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:27 PM)
Yes.

Define: Sexist: discriminatory on the basis of sex (usually said of men's attitude toward women).

A better question might be, is it always wrong to not allow men and women to play alongside each other? There we may have a much different discussion. We could split the sports into contact and non contact sports. We could look at sports with mechanical equipment like NASCAR. We could look at ones with fine motor skills like pool versus gross motor skills like shot put.

Fair point, Tex.

I guess the question might be "Is it wrong to be sexist when it comes to all sports"?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 03:26 PM)
By 10 you should have winners and losers. Imagine playing civic soccer or basketball or little league and not keeping score. That's ridiculous.

That is 4th/5th grade, and I am happy with it at that level. It is also the time you should start seeing some cuts.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:27 PM)
Yes.

Absolutely not.

But 99% of the time it is always about how girls/women are being slighted for not being allowed to participate. You almost never hear it from the other side. It's ok for girls to jump on to the football team, or wrestling squad or baseball team. But the second a guy wants to try out for volleyball, field hockey or softball it's no longer okay.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)

Of course, but at what age should you be telling a kid you are not good enough to play this sport and go home? Our philosophy is middle school is their first chance to play on a "real" team. They come in raw and we have to develop their talents. We use middle school as a training ground for our high school programs. We feed them lots and lots of kids, well versed on the systems we play, how to be a good team mate, how to be a champion 168 hours a week.

Yes, we have middle school winners and losers, but we do not make it our primary focus. It is better for me to send 20 soccer players with basic skills with knowledge of our system who won five games than 15 who won 12. Somewhere in those five players that would have been cut could be a late bloomer who makes significant contributions.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:33 PM)
Why should you start seeing some cuts?

You should see cuts if necessary, not for the sake of it. If a kid isn't good enough, cutting them tells them that. Yeah, it sucks, but it's a good lesson and can often benefit them. I've been on all three ends. I was a 10 minute per game guy on my soccer team, one of our leading scorers in basketball but I got cut from 7th grade baseball. It sucked. I cried. But I wasnt't good enough. I didn't play summer ball, I didn't go to camps and people were just better. So I went to track instead and worked at that. Found throwing the discuss to be really fun and by the time I was a senior I was in states. Sticking around baseball only to get 4 or 5 at bats per season would have done nothing for me as far as growing as a person.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)
Someone start a girls league, then people won't b**** when a girl is cut from a boy league.

I actually agree with this. If they are switching the league to be all boys and kicking the girls out, they should make an all girls league. 7 years old is old enough to start dividing up the boys and girls. They are going to have to split up eventually anyway since typically the boys play baseball and the girls play softball. Even the men's fastpitch softball leagues use a different size ball than women's. 12" ball for men. 11" ball for women.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 01:13 PM)
For whatever reason baseball draws this type of scrutiny. Every kid plays baseball. Unfortunately the numbers, 9 per team cause some gaps. You can get by with a soccer team of 18 kids or basketball with 15. It is not easy but it can be done. In baseball though it does not work as a kid may not bat in game as there are limited opportunities for hitters and fielding time. Youth teams really need to be 12 to 15 kids tops.

What happens if 17 kids want to play. You can't have two teams because inevitably grandma's 71st birthday will cause a kid to miss.

The league my daughter plays in is the same one I played in when I was her age. They always manage to even the teams out. Some may have 13 and other may have 15 but it usually works out. They also have the rule where everyone has to play at least 2 innings and they have age groups all the way up to 16.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)
Oh please.

To a few posters that post quite often in the Buster, maybe in your never-ending quest to become perfect, politically correct and omniscient human beings, you could get over yourselves for a long enough time to stop criticizing every little thing everyone else does and focus on your own failings.

I have some great workout routines I could recommend.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 03:26 PM)
OMG. The political correctness police is a perfect example of what people were b****ing complaining about on the last page.

I don't know about the others but when I made the horrendous reference that is being discussed it wasn't meant to be directly about this particular case, but more about an overall direction our society is heading. People just like to complain and feign offense just for the sake of it.

As for this particular case, if there is no female alternative I think it is discriminatory and should not be allowed to take place. However, if there is, there is nothing wrong with the decision that took place. Purposefully or not, the article does not make mention of the situation so based on that article alone we do not know what the exact case is.

Using slang terms for female genitalia as an insult is sexist. It has nothing to do with being omniscient or perfect.

There are arguments for both sides. At the end of the day, you know if youre good whether or not you "win". This just doesnt just apply to sports, as there are competitions in all aspects of life.

Personally, I dont think you really need to be calling kids winners or losers. As a kid I felt opposite, I hated ties and I was super competitive.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 03:30 PM)
Absolutely not.

But 99% of the time it is always about how girls/women are being slighted for not being allowed to participate. You almost never hear it from the other side. It's ok for girls to jump on to the football team, or wrestling squad or baseball team. But the second a guy wants to try out for volleyball, field hockey or softball it's no longer okay.

Right, the group that's usually the one discriminated against is the one you hear about.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
Using slang terms for female genitalia as an insult is sexist. It has nothing to do with being omniscient or perfect.

Yeah, and so are a lot of things. Get over it. I also use the term "dick" for when people are being a jerk. So I am an equal opportunity offender.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 03:30 PM)
Absolutely not.

Actually my high school didn't have men's volleyball. There were a few of us guys that liked to play and we were pretty good. The volleyball coach said we could join and we almost did. She told us we'd have to wear the same uniforms at the girls though.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 03:44 PM)
Yeah, and so are a lot of things. Get over it. I also use the term "dick" for when people are being a jerk. So I am an equal opportunity offender.

Cool, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be getting over though? NSS brought it up and I agreed that, yes, it is sexist.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:47 PM)
Cool, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be getting over though? NSS brought it up and I agreed that, yes, it is sexist.

Get over your need to endlessly correct or criticize people for whatever reason you do it (I could only guess, to be honest).

Uhhh, last I checked America is a country of winners. So what if somebodies' feelings get hurt? The end goal is to win at all costs, we didnt beat the Germans and Japanese in World War 2 by letting up because we felt bad about kicking the s*** out of them. Youth leagues are supposed to be about developing a cutthroat dedication to enslaving your opponent and force-ramming your team's collective dick down their throat.

f***in' liberals I tell ya.