Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 06:11 PM)
Why the hell did Green-Beckham pick Missouri? And why the hell did Darius Hamilton pick Rutgers?

I don't know, but I'm just glad he didn't pick Florida... And I'm looking forward to see DGB in Knoxville next year, but hoping he doesn't live up to the hype.

Tennessee's class really took a couple late hits that stung pretty good... Dropped us down to like 7th-8th in SEC, but still Top 20 nationally. Still, after such a s***ty year, not making a bowl game, and losing 6 coaches in the last 2 months, it's hard to complain with a Top 20 class.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 06:11 PM)
Why the hell did Green-Beckham pick Missouri? And why the hell did Darius Hamilton pick Rutgers?

They don't plan to be in college long so they go somewhere where they can start early and stand out.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 06:53 PM)
They don't plan to be in college long so they go somewhere where they can start early and stand out.

I don't understand why people are so perplexed about DGB and Mizzou. 1) It's his home state school. 2) Mizzou has been a consistent winner in NCAA football the past few years. 3) They are an offensive juggernaut. 4) They consistently put players into the NFL and high draft picks at that (Aldon Smith, Sean Witherspoon, Jeremy Maclin to name three). 5) They lose their No.2 WR and top TE (who basically was a WR in college) 6) He has a stud QB throwing to him. 7) Mizzou was the first school to offer him. Do I need to keep going...?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 10:53 PM)
I don't understand why people are so perplexed about DGB and Mizzou. 1) It's his home state school. 2) Mizzou has been a consistent winner in NCAA football the past few years. 3) They are an offensive juggernaut. 4) They consistently put players into the NFL and high draft picks at that (Aldon Smith, Sean Witherspoon, Jeremy Maclin to name three). 5) They lose their No.2 WR and top TE (who basically was a WR in college) 6) He has a stud QB throwing to him. 7) Mizzou was the first school to offer him. Do I need to keep going...?

All that and there were still better options for him. Consistent winners doesn't mean BCS title contender.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 10:01 PM)
All that and there were still better options for him. Consistent winners doesn't mean BCS title contender.

What defines a better option? Going to an established program where he can help? Or helping revive a program?

I mean better option is completely relative.

And in 2007 and 2008, Mizzou was a BCS title contender.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 05:11 PM)

If DGB was from Ohio and went to Missouri the question would be entirely legitimate, but a kid staying in-state should never be that shocking.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 06:53 PM)

Wrong sport. They have to be in college for 3 years.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 10:01 PM)

BCS title contender isn't on top of every recruit's list. Playing time, going pro, close to home etc., also matter.

Oklahoma State was a BCS title contender last year after mostly top 25 finishes throughout the decade. If you are a top 25 program you can have a hot run, and having a playmaker like DGB can catapault you. You are acting like mizzou is some team that just fights for bowl births. We've been a top ten team 3 times in the past 5 years during the season.

I hate gunner Kiel because after amazingly seriously considering Vandy he spurned us, but les miles looks like a huge douche calling a an 18 year old kid out like he did, even if Kiel retracted his commitment

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)
I hate gunner Kiel because after amazingly seriously considering Vandy he spurned us, but les miles looks like a huge douche calling a an 18 year old kid out like he did, even if Kiel retracted his commitment

And I guess Miles had no problem with Kiel when he reneged on his commitment to Indiana, but he all of a sudden doesn't have the "chest" when he de-committs from LSU. The word "hypocritical" comes to mind.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 09:33 AM)
And I guess Miles had no problem with Kiel when he reneged on his commitment to Indiana, but he all of a sudden doesn't have the "chest" when he de-committs from LSU. The word "hypocritical" comes to mind.

Especially because you know he is actively out there pushing kids to de-committ from other schools.

Looking back now, it seems the "Kiel to Indiana" ordeal was all a ploy to get his brother the starting job. He lost it shortly after (because he sucked, and has now transfered). It's really a blessing in disguise, as Roberson looked fantastic for a true freshman and we have a pretty highly regarded QB from California coming in. I'm willing to bet Gunner transfers from ND too.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)
eh, he's speaking to a bunch of students and boosters. I'll give them a break, they don't have much in LA.

This is also true. He obviously would never have said that in an interview or anything of that nature. He was just trying to rile up the fan-base at a recruiting "celebration." Still, Miles has to be smart enough to know that someone was probably filming it. This same thing happened with Lane Kiffin 3 years ago when he was talking at a recruiting celebration and called out Urban Meyer for having to cheat to get recruits, but didn't know he was being filmed and that it would end up all over the TV/internet.