Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 02:45 PM)
Getting heavy sanctions on your sports programs has a direct effect on your school's image.

I'd rather the school/donors invest in legal and NCAA allowed methods, such as facilities, coaches, etc. Do things the right way, no matter what.

Im pretty sure that statistics would find this to be false.

Michigan had the fab 5, during that period their applications went up, when the fab 5 got sanctions, no one cared/remembered.

Wisconsin since 1999 has improved its academic rank due to better sports. How many people even remember the Shoe Box incident?

If you care about your school's academic rank, then you should want it to have good sports programs. There are some pretty good studies about the application bump that occurs after a team does well. More applications = more selective = better school.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
Im pretty sure that statistics would find this to be false.

Michigan had the fab 5, during that period their applications went up, when the fab 5 got sanctions, no one cared/remembered.

Wisconsin since 1999 has improved its academic rank due to better sports. How many people even remember the Shoe Box incident?

If you care about your school's academic rank, then you should want it to have good sports programs. There are some pretty good studies about the application bump that occurs after a team does well. More applications = more selective = better school.

I want my sports programs to do well, I never said that I didn't. I just said I want them to do it right (meaning no ridiculous scandals, every school cheats, I get that).

QUOTE (Boogua @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 02:49 PM)
Yeah, USCs academic prestige took a huge hit the whole Bush thing. Same with tOSU and the tattoo scandal. Miami and little Luke.

I understand what you're saying, but it's really not that black and white.

Simply not true but I can understand you probably think these things happened. Obviously I know most about OSU and things academically have never been better and weren't affected at all by the football teams issues.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
I want my sports programs to do well, I never said that I didn't. I just said I want them to do it right (meaning no ridiculous scandals, every school cheats, I get that).

Everybody wants their school to do it right and everyone wants their school to win. Unfortunately the pressure on them that we ourselves put on the program is what opens the door for idiot student athletes, boosters,etc to ruin it for us. And it's not just the top schools that bend and break the rules, crappy MAC ones do too. It's a sad reality but at the same time the rules are governed by perhaps the most crooked entity of them all.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
I guess I dont know what the line of ridiculous scandal is. Because USC, Michigan, have had pretty big scandals and most academics could care less.

Let's just say Illinois has had enough bad headlines in the news lately, I'd rather not have more just because of sports. We've been dirty enough in admissions, I'd rather not that image grow.

I agree there's a line, the line is different for everyone and not easy to find.

I find out years later we were big-time paying Dee, Deron, their families, et al? I'm pretty furious. Not "hey, it was a great run though." Tainted in my mind forever. That's the stuff I'm talking about.

I don't want to be so damn dirty just to get a championship...because I won't look at it the same way anyway, so what's the point.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
Simply not true but I can understand you probably think these things happened. Obviously I know most about OSU and things academically have never been better and weren't affected at all by the football teams issues.

I was being sarcastic. I should have done it in green. Sorry. :/

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
I guess I dont know what the line of ridiculous scandal is. Because USC, Michigan, have had pretty big scandals and most academics could care less.

Yup, it doesnt really do anything to academics. And in some cases, has zero effect on the athletic program itself really.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 04:24 PM)

LOL, breaking news, college kids dont like class

At least he's going to classes.

BTW yahoo, he's the 3rd stringer and a true freshman.

Also:

Ohio State was recognized because its multiyear Academic Progress Rate scores were in the top 10 percent of Division I football teams. Ohio State and Northwestern both received public recognition awards for their APR scores last year, and Northwestern received the honor in 2008-09 as well. No other Big Ten schools have received the awards.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 05:12 PM)
on an unrelated note. The new Scout site sucks huge donkey balls now that fox took it over. I may cancel my subscription if I have to deal with that.

Seems like a lot of people are complaining about scout now.

I've never been to their site but the free Miami site I go to has a lot of new members the past day or so from scout.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)
I agree there's a line, the line is different for everyone and not easy to find.

I find out years later we were big-time paying Dee, Deron, their families, et al? I'm pretty furious. Not "hey, it was a great run though." Tainted in my mind forever. That's the stuff I'm talking about.

I don't want to be so damn dirty just to get a championship...because I won't look at it the same way anyway, so what's the point.

I'm the opposite. Honestly, if that's what we did, I'd be fine with it because of the entertainment and experiences it gives you. Yeah, I remember when we made the National Championship. Remember that big comeback against Arizona? Yeah, I remember that. Michigan fans remember the Fab Five, even if the NCAA and the university say they never existed. Those are memories that will last a lifetime as a sports fan. Whether Derrick Rose had someone else take his tests or Deron, Dee and Luther got paid off happened, not many people will remember or care about that.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 6, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
I'm the opposite. Honestly, if that's what we did, I'd be fine with it because of the entertainment and experiences it gives you. Yeah, I remember when we made the National Championship. Remember that big comeback against Arizona? Yeah, I remember that. Michigan fans remember the Fab Five, even if the NCAA and the university say they never existed. Those are memories that will last a lifetime as a sports fan. Whether Derrick Rose had someone else take his tests or Deron, Dee and Luther got paid off happened, not many people will remember or care about that.

The memory would be nowhere near the same.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 6, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
Wow, Illinois just took one up the ass from the refs. This is a f***ing joke. That was a clear fumble and recovery by Illinois.

Not to mention the free 15 yards they got from the "illegal" hit.