Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kev211 @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 12:03 AM)
It's not bulls***. If you don't think ND is real and that defense isn't the best or second best in the nation you're clueless.

The bulls*** I was referring too was dealing with the fanbase. Obviously their defense is legit.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 12:06 AM)
Are you really arguing Zook should have been retained? We finished 10th in the Big 10 last year, lost 6 straight games without being able to score and Zook recruited literally one player from 2010 through 2012 that looks like a high level Big 10 football player. Hell, Mason Monheim is the only freshman or sophomore in the program who looks like he is worth a damn. This team should be better and Beckman's coaching has been lousy but we were heading for the bottom again with the incredible lack of talent Zook was bringing in. Pocic is the only offensive linemen with any talent and he is pretty limited athletically, the RBs are ok but not game changers and really no different than what every other team has, the WRs other than Millines are absolute garbage (and Millines is always hurt) and the QBs are arguably the worst in the Big 10.

IMO, this dropoff has way more to do with Beckman, than Zook. The penalties and dumb miscues are not about talent. Either way, it's still Illinois football, I doubt any coach you bring in would make them relevant. At least Zook got them to 3 bowl games in 5 years, including a Rose Bowl. That doesn't happen very often in Champaign.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 12:44 AM)
Are you kidding me? Manti had possession before it hit the ground(his hand was under it as well) and continued to hold until after it touched the ground. Yes, it moved but the movement wasn't caused by the ground and came well after that.

Well after that? The entire catch process was probably 1 second long. Yes he had his hands under it but the top side of the ball hit the ground and then it bobbled into his stomach. If this was an offensive catch it would have been incomplete.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 12:24 AM)
The problem is that he isn't an offensive coach and the guy who ran that offense at Toledo is now Toledo's head coach. There isn't a coach in the world that could make Illinois' offense good so I give him a pass on that end. But the defense went from being a top 20 unit last year to a disaster this year. Mercilus was a stud and losing him hurts but that unit returned 7 starters and Williams is a better player than Trulon Henry so losing Henry hasn't really hurt. There is simply no excuse for the defense to be as bad as its been. The key now is holding on to what is a decent first recruiting class and hoping Aaron Bailey is the real deal. If he isn't Beckman won't last long at Illinois.

Bailey is like NS a running QB first................I do not see any better results with Beckman as HC.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 12:01 AM)
Ron Zook was the first coach in almost 20 years to take Illinois to back-to-back bowl games, but he wasn't good enough and now we get this.

And f*** Oklahoma, now we have to deal with all this bulls*** for longer

It's such a shallow argument. OMG 2 BOWL GAMES! He should have been gone after 2009, if you think he should be here right now after OMG 2 BOWL GAMES, then you have super low expectations.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 09:00 AM)
Well after that? The entire catch process was probably 1 second long. Yes he had his hands under it but the top side of the ball hit the ground and then it bobbled into his stomach. If this was an offensive catch it would have been incomplete.

The ball never hit the ground. There wasn't one look that showed the ball hitting the ground.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)
I could never figure out why we didn't just keep Zook as the head coach in name...let him recruit...and get someone else to run the show on gameday.

Hey you can come in and be the head coach, you just won't actually be a head coach, and we won't pay you like it either.

Who's going to do that?

We already did the coordinator taking over thing for 2 years, and it didn't exactly produce the results we needed overall. Zook still caused huge problems.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)
Hey you can come in and be the head coach, you just won't actually be a head coach, and we won't pay you like it either.

Who's going to do that?

We already did the coordinator taking over thing for 2 years, and it didn't exactly produce the results we needed overall. Zook still caused huge problems.

Well they hired the wrong offensive coordinator or things might have been different, but yeah Zook's time was done with the program. Sadly we did seem to actually downgrade with this new coach but at least basketball is around the corner?

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)
I could never figure out why we didn't just keep Zook as the head coach in name...let him recruit...and get someone else to run the show on gameday.

Besides the fact that it would never work, Zook actually couldn't recruit the last two years of his tenure.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 11:12 AM)
It's such a shallow argument. OMG 2 BOWL GAMES! He should have been gone after 2009, if you think he should be here right now after OMG 2 BOWL GAMES, then you have super low expectations.

You are right, I do. it's Illinois football, why should my expectations be any higher?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
You are right, I do. it's Illinois football, why should my expectations be any higher?

Because we're a BT school with money, facilities, a large fan base, etc. I'm not setting the bar high, but there's no good reason we shouldn't be a middle of the road big ten team. Sometimes worse, once in a blue moon stars align and we have a shot at a championship.

You could have made that post 20 years ago on a Wisconsin message board, too.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 06:00 PM)
Because we're a BT school with money, facilities, a large fan base, etc. I'm not setting the bar high, but there's no good reason we shouldn't be a middle of the road big ten team. Sometimes worse, once in a blue moon stars align and we have a shot at a championship.

You could have made that post 20 years ago on a Wisconsin message board, too.

I hear you there, we should be better, but it just hasn't happened

It would be nice to find our Barry Alvarez, but Beckman definitely isn't him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 06:31 PM)
I hear you there, we should be better, but it just hasn't happened

It would be nice to find our Barry Alvarez, but Beckman definitely isn't him.

We may never get to what I just outlined in our lifetimes (f*** us all if that's the case), but there's no good reason we shouldn't have those as expectations, at minimum, and hold them to that standard. I really don't think it's asking for that much.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 06:37 PM)
We may never get to what I just outlined in our lifetimes (f*** us all if that's the case), but there's no good reason we shouldn't have those as expectations, at minimum, and hold them to that standard. I really don't think it's asking for that much.

It's not. I feel the same way about Indiana.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 11:16 PM)
f*** you Pedo State.

And Beckman has turned around a program before mostly with a dominating offense. Right now he has zero offensive difference makers, and no, Sheelhouse or whatever isn't one of those. Give him some time.

He can recruit offense. What you see right now is what you're going to get with that defense, but he'll get some offensive skill in there. Hell, Toledo not only has more offensive talent than Illinois right now, they have WAY more offensive talent. This despite the fact that you could argue they only have the 4th best offense in the MAC.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (gatnom @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 06:00 PM)
Well, at the very least s***ting on your first year head coach isn't going to help anything.

I expected 6 wins myself. The DC has been horrible, and I hope they fire him after the season. However, you can't deny that we've had a lot of injuries, and a lot of Zook's best talent has already left the team (or never even arrived).

How high above IU do you see UI?

UI should be well above IU. Is this a joke? Indiana has been to 1 bowl game since 1993. The Illini have been to two BCS games in the past 12 years. Indiana hasn't won a bowl game since 1991. They've been to 9 bowl games and have won 3. Their winning percentage all-time is .425. They hadn't won a big ten game since, what, 2010?

The Illini aren't great historically, but they're CLEARLY better than IU. The Illini beat IU by 3 TDs last year. Losing to them at home (it was the homecoming game too), after a bye, and to a second string qb is just sad.

Beckman is clearly in over his head. It looks like the Illini got Dan Hawkins.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/maryland-lose...9lYKqufl5CW1LYF

Maryland has lost 4 QBs for the season. They are starting a LB or TE at QB this week. They are +7.5 against GT. That seems like the easiest money in the history of the world. Saying that, they'll likely cover, possibly even win.

But wow, to be without any QBs, by definition. Yikes.

So sad to see Jake Knott's career at Iowa State over. Wish we could have redshirted him his freshman year. Might be a kid whose college career is as good as it will get for the guy, but I know he'll work his ass off. Iowa State legitimately had the best LB corps in the Big 12, and he was part of that. Glad I can call him a friend.

The f***er dislocated his shoulder twice last year during one game and popped it back in both times. Tore his labrum this year. Broke his thumb last year and this year.

Naturally, Chizik didn't deem him worthy of a scholarship.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 10:28 PM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/maryland-lose...9lYKqufl5CW1LYF

Maryland has lost 4 QBs for the season. They are starting a LB or TE at QB this week. They are +7.5 against GT. That seems like the easiest money in the history of the world. Saying that, they'll likely cover, possibly even win.

But wow, to be without any QBs, by definition. Yikes.

Yeah, Edsall has had some horrible luck. I can't even imagine playing a LB at QB. Like, you pretty much just run the ball every play right? And the occasion screen or something where he doesn't have to throw downfield.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 03:40 AM)
Yeah, Edsall has had some horrible luck. I can't even imagine playing a LB at QB. Like, you pretty much just run the ball every play right? And the occasion screen or something where he doesn't have to throw downfield.

GT's defense is brutal, and it's possible they'll be starting a freshman at QB in the game. I expect a close game.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 10:46 PM)
GT's defense is brutal, and it's possible they'll be starting a freshman at QB in the game. I expect a close game.

Do you think Johnson should be fired? That seems to be the consensus among every GT fan I hear on the local sports talk shows. Also, now that the AD left to take the job at Clemson, I think it's much more likely that the new AD will want to bring in "his guy."

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 02:54 PM)
Do you think Johnson should be fired? That seems to be the consensus among every GT fan I hear on the local sports talk shows. Also, now that the AD left to take the job at Clemson, I think it's much more likely that the new AD will want to bring in "his guy."

If they fire him, they'll owe him 10 million dollars. After the debacle with Hewitt's "lifetime" contract, the GT Athletic Department has no prayer of affording that much money. Johnson will get one more year, and if it goes poorly maybe he'll walk away (especially with the AD leaving, like you said). Thankfully they have significantly better QBs waiting in the wings than the current one who's been under center the last two years.