Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 05:38 PM)
If you cant take the heat at Wisconsin, go to Arkansas with unrealistic SEC championship dreams?

Especially when he has no chance of surpassing Alabama while Saban is there or LSU and Texas A&M is going to be much better than Arkansas for at least the time period that Manziel is there. Add in a Mississippi program that is recruiting very well right now, Miss St. with a solid coach in Mullen and an Auburn program that is generally strong and he really has his work cut out for him.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 05:01 PM)
There are just a ton of rumors right now. Supposedly hes only getting $600k per year more.

Going to have to wait and see, I get the feeling that Alvarez may actually coach the Rose Bowl. There is supposedly a state law that requires Wisconsin to post notice of the job for 30 days, so no hiring can be done quick.

You should apply :)

Bielema told players he is leaving so he can win a "championship."

The odd part is, if Bielema was a slightly better coach, Wisconsin would have had a chance last year and possibly this year. But I guess hell have a better chance in the same division as Saban and Miles.

Good luck Bielema, you always have been classless.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 07:25 PM)
You should apply :)

I know of a guy who jokingly applied for the DC job at Texas after Muschamp left. They had to post the job listing to the public b/c of some state law (like Wisconsin).

If that is his goal, his move makes no sense. The top dogs of the SEC arent going to hire in conference from little brother. Ive read this theory other places as well, but I always felt Bielema's ceiling was University of Iowa. I literally thought Wisconsin was stuck with him until Ferentz retired.

Maybe Im missing something here, but I have never been a Bielema fan. The guy generally finds a way to lose by doing something stupid.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/badgers/bie...-136556583.html

"Basically what happened was, I know his foot touched the line," Bielema said. "It gets down to an issue of where the ball is. I was trying to get a read from my sideline official if we could review forward momentum. He didn't understand the question where I was at, and that's why they charged me a timeout."

Because UW had burned a timeout four plays earlier when the staff recognized the Badgers weren't aligned properly, the Badgers were left with just one timeout for the final 25:45 of the game.

"They knew that what I was trying to get answered was answered the proper way," Bielema said, "so they came back and (charged) me another timeout instead of using the challenge. So that's where it was at."

-----

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 08:33 PM)
If that is his goal, his move makes no sense. The top dogs of the SEC arent going to hire in conference from little brother. Ive read this theory other places as well, but I always felt Bielema's ceiling was University of Iowa. I literally thought Wisconsin was stuck with him until Ferentz retired.

Maybe Im missing something here, but I have never been a Bielema fan. The guy generally finds a way to lose by doing something stupid.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/badgers/bie...-136556583.html

"Basically what happened was, I know his foot touched the line," Bielema said. "It gets down to an issue of where the ball is. I was trying to get a read from my sideline official if we could review forward momentum. He didn't understand the question where I was at, and that's why they charged me a timeout."

Because UW had burned a timeout four plays earlier when the staff recognized the Badgers weren't aligned properly, the Badgers were left with just one timeout for the final 25:45 of the game.

"They knew that what I was trying to get answered was answered the proper way," Bielema said, "so they came back and (charged) me another timeout instead of using the challenge. So that's where it was at."

-----

"you know my ex girlfriend wasnt all that hot anyways. And I really dont know why she is going to that nerdy guy that makes a little bit more money than me. He is such a loser."

Jk ;)

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 09:54 PM)
That may be true if I actually had any control over who the Wisconsin coach was. I really thought hed be the coach until Ferentz left Iowa, my disdain for him is pretty well known.

hence the green and the jk

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 09:57 PM)
I know, its just a bad spot for me because no matter what I say it sounds like sour grapes.

Just go with "Ha! f*** it! See ya!"

Wisconsin will be fine, im sure Alvarez will pick a fine successor

The problem is Wisconsin is in a tight spot. Most of the guys who would have been likely choices were hired in the last year and have made statements that they are going to stay (who knows if it is true.)

Wisconsin last 2 coaches were considered underwhelming hires at the time, although both have turned out to be very successful (Bo Ryan and Bret Bielema). This is really Wisconsin's first hire as big time program and its just a major moment for the program.

Edited by Soxbadger

The problem is Wisconsin is in a tight spot. Most of the guys who would have been likely choices were hired in the last year and have made statements that they are going to stay (who knows if it is true.)

Wisconsin last 2 coaches were considered underwhelming hires at the time, although both have turned out to be very successful (Bo Ryan and Bret Bielema). This is really Wisconsin's first hire as big time program and its just a major moment for the program.

If Alvarez doesn't find anybody available he really likes, any chance he decides to do it for a year and find a replacement next year?

Just caught up on the thread... I gotta stop getting 10-15 pages behind!

I don't think this was a good hire for Arkansas and could be potentially good for Wisconsin depending on who they hire. I just felt like Bielema was going backwards. Here's my rationale. SoxBadger, tell me if I am off here.

Obviously the 5 losses this year plays into it. The fact they haven't seemed to be able to develop a QB and how to go outside to get one two years in a row is a potential concern. I'm not sure what the reasons were for them leaving, but the fact that several assistants followed Chryst to Pitt made me wonder why they didn't stay with BB. I'm not sure what kind of replacements he hired this year and how good they are. They might be fine, but when you fire one of your new hires in the first week of the season, it leads me to wonder if he has the ability to run a program. Coaching football is one thing. But managing an entire program and all that goes with are one of the main reasons many assistants fail as head coaches. Many guys can do the work, not everyone can be the boss.

Put that all together with the fact he took over a very stable program and I just wonder if he wasn't on the decline anyway. I'm sure there are lots of positives to offset some of this and maybe their are reasons half his staff bailed last year, but looking from the outside, it makes me go hmmmm.

That said, my guess is that unless this job gives him a major boost in how aggressively he runs things and he tackles them better than I think he will, I believe he'll get eaten up. Thin skin will not make it in the SEC.

Hickory,

Alvarez will coach the Rose Bowl, but that is it. Most people dont think he wants the grind of every day college football. I would say that Alvarez taking over is very unlikely.

Rex,

I was thinking about this last night, and I came up with the hypothetical that if I had left the day before the season and only heard the following: "Wisconsin 7-5, Bielema leaving Wisconsin" after the season, I would have thought he had been fired.

I do not know what Bielema's ceiling is. Reading between the lines it appears that there were 2 issues he had, 1) assistants not being paid enough and 2) facilities. The first part partially answers the why did all the assistants leave last year. Bielema will argue it was because Wisconsin wouldnt pay them, Wisconsin would argue its because they wanted to coach for their boy Chryst. The answer may be in the middle, but who knows, Bielema is known for rubbing people the wrong way.

The facilities are probably his excuse for not recruiting well. And by that I mean not landing very many high ranked recruits. Will he do better in Arkansas? Who knows, I am sure that is what he thinks, but Madison is a pretty nice/unique campus, so sometimes its not all about facilities.

This is just one of those odd moves. My best guess is that Bielema was starting to feel heat at Wisconsin over what transpired the last year and he wanted to leave while the going was good. His talk of championships makes no sense. Those are rare unless you are at one of the elite programs, which Arkansas is not. Further last year Wisconsin had a legitimate chance to be there, but they lost 2 games in the final minute to MSU and OSU. They lost the Rose Bowl due to coaching error.

This year really did nothing to prove that Bielema was an elite coach who could take Wisconsin further. Due to a fluke Wisconsin is going to a Rose Bowl. But in reality they were a 3rd place team in their own division. They lost to PSU, OSU, Nebraska, MSU and Oregon State. Outside of the Championship game they only won games where they significantly outmatched their opponent.

Is that the mark of a great coach?

I am hoping that Wisconsin gets a legitimate name. I do not think they will be promoting from within, I also do not think Bielema will take many assistants, because if his beef was he couldnt get better assistants last year because of money, it stands to reason hell use Arkansas cash to buy some better ones.

(Edit)

And I usually do not have inside information, but I do have a friend whose father is friends with Chryst. Today he posted that "Paul is not going to happen." So I would say Chryst is not going to coach Wisconsin next.

(edit 2)

Contract details are unclear but some are reporting $4.6mil. If true, that is just crazy money.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
I always felt like Bielema came off as a monster douche as well. I hope he struggles mightily.

I agree with this 1000%. He looked, acted and sounded like an incredible douchebag at all times during his tenure as head coach. Good riddance, for the rest of the conference.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 11:11 AM)
Contract details are unclear but some are reporting $4.6mil. If true, that is just crazy money.

I saw 6 years, $3.2 million/year.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 11:30 AM)
I agree with this 1000%. He looked, acted and sounded like an incredible douchebag at all times during his tenure as head coach. Good riddance, for the rest of the conference.

He never saw a score he didn't want to run up.