Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

It's also hard to have a "bad game" as a defensive player. Aren't in the spotlight and the stats aren't there for it to be a bad game, besides # of tackles which I guarantee no one knows how many tackles he had in what game. It's comparing apples to oranges. Silly to use "bad games" against him. Much tougher measuring stick.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 05:14 AM)
It's also hard to have a "bad game" as a defensive player. Aren't in the spotlight and the stats aren't there for it to be a bad game, besides # of tackles which I guarantee no one knows how many tackles he had in what game. It's comparing apples to oranges. Silly to use "bad games" against him. Much tougher measuring stick.

Yep, Jesse Palmer has been making that same point for the last two weeks. The last month of the season, you would have thought Te'o was the 5th or 6th best defensive plalyer on that team (that is if the camera stopped showing him after every single play, even if he wasn't within 20 yards of it). If you would have told me there was a defensive player that won the most awards ever in a season, I would have pictured that person to play like Ray Lewis in his prime and not as a glorified safety.

Did Wisky fans run Bielema out of town? Seems a bad fit for him at Arkansas. Were 3 straight Rose Bowls not good enough or ? Seems to me he badly wanted a change of scenery.

Another ? Do you think you can tell after one year if a coach will make it? As such, do you think Illinois will be canning its current coach in 2 years? What about 1-11 Charlie Weis at Kansas? Do you think he's gonzo after one more season?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 10:22 PM)
Did Wisky fans run Bielema out of town? Seems a bad fit for him at Arkansas. Were 3 straight Rose Bowls not good enough or ? Seems to me he badly wanted a change of scenery.

Another ? Do you think you can tell after one year if a coach will make it? As such, do you think Illinois will be canning its current coach in 2 years? What about 1-11 Charlie Weis at Kansas? Do you think he's gonzo after one more season?

If I read "three straight Rose Bowls" again, I'm going to throw something!! Wisky was 4-4 in the B1G this year and finished 3rd in their division. They only had a chance to play in the CG this year because of PSU and OSU's f*ck ups. Yes, he beat Nebraska, but let's not compare this season with the last two, please.

On that note, I'm off to Vegas for the weekend to catch the Pacquiao - Marquez fight. Hold down the fort.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)
If I read "three straight Rose Bowls" again, I'm going to throw something!! Wisky was 4-4 in the B1G this year and finished 3rd in their division. They only had a chance to play in the CG this year because of PSU and OSU's f*ck ups. Yes, he beat Nebraska, but let's not compare this season with the last two, please.

On that note, I'm off to Vegas for the weekend to catch the Pacquiao - Marquez fight. Hold down the fort.

You prick

So Mike Thomas hired Brian Kelly and Butch Jones at Cincinnati. One is coaching for a national championship at ND and one just go the Tennessee job. This is about the only thing that gives me any hope that Beckman may not end up being the complete disaster he appears to be at Illinois.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)

If Wisconsin thinks one 4-4 season in the Big 10 after 2 legit Rose Bowl appearances is grounds for firing, good luck to them. They will be going through more coaches than Al Davis.

Reminds me of when Self left Illinois. All of a sudden Illini fans said he wasn't a very good coach, couldn't win big games, slept with cheerleaders, good riddance. I think Self is a better coach than Bielema, but like him or not, his record at Wisconsin speaks for itself. His successor will have his work cut out for him just to match.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 11:58 AM)
If Wisconsin thinks one 4-4 season in the Big 10 after 2 legit Rose Bowl appearances is grounds for firing, good luck to them. They will be going through more coaches than Al Davis.

Reminds me of when Self left Illinois. All of a sudden Illini fans said he wasn't a very good coach, couldn't win big games, slept with cheerleaders, good riddance. I think Self is a better coach than Bielema, but like him or not, his record at Wisconsin speaks for itself. His successor will have his work cut out for him just to match.

I dont think Bielema was going to be fired. I think that Wisconsin was going to be stuck with him for as long as Alvarez was the AD.

People keep talking about Bielema's record, as if he beat good teams. The guy thrived on beating the worst teams. He was 68-24 but lets look at that record:

Bielema is 2-4 in bowl games

Bielema is 1-5 lifetime against Ohio State, and has a losing record against Michigan State and Penn State as well. While he went 3-2 against a down Michigan program, Bielema was only a combined 1-10 on the road against those four aforementioned teams.

Bielema was being paid top 20 coach money. He was not a top 20 coach. I personally believe that he should have been held more accountable and that he was given way to big of a pass due to Barry Alvarez. Whatever the case, Bielema was not going to be fired this year. But another 1 or 2 3rd place Leader division finishes there would have been trouble.

Most Wisconsin fans do not think that this year is some sort of victory. Its an embarrassment. We finished 3rd, we got lucky. Its pretty terrible that Wisconsin finished behind PSU after all the trouble PSU had.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 12:21 PM)
I dont think Bielema was going to be fired. I think that Wisconsin was going to be stuck with him for as long as Alvarez was the AD.

People keep talking about Bielema's record, as if he beat good teams. The guy thrived on beating the worst teams. He was 68-24 but lets look at that record:

Bielema is 2-4 in bowl games

Bielema is 1-5 lifetime against Ohio State, and has a losing record against Michigan State and Penn State as well. While he went 3-2 against a down Michigan program, Bielema was only a combined 1-10 on the road against those four aforementioned teams.

Bielema was being paid top 20 coach money. He was not a top 20 coach. I personally believe that he should have been held more accountable and that he was given way to big of a pass due to Barry Alvarez. Whatever the case, Bielema was not going to be fired this year. But another 1 or 2 3rd place Leader division finishes there would have been trouble.

Most Wisconsin fans do not think that this year is some sort of victory. Its an embarrassment. We finished 3rd, we got lucky. Its pretty terrible that Wisconsin finished behind PSU after all the trouble PSU had.

You would think Wisconsin fans would know what embarrassment is considering what they were before Alvarez. Not counting his first few years in which he was building the program, after his first conference title, Alvarez, who is kind of God like around Madison was 4-4 or worse in the Big 10 six times. The Badger fans faces must have matched their shirts.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 11:58 AM)

LOL, of course there are idiots out there that would say that, and that goes for every team. That was not the feeling of the majority of Illini fans, however.

Anyone with a brain said "f***" because they know we could become a national power if he stuck around.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)
You would think Wisconsin fans would know what embarrassment is considering what they were before Alvarez. Not counting his first few years in which he was building the program, after his first conference title, Alvarez, who is kind of God like around Madison was 4-4 or worse in the Big 10 six times. The Badger fans faces must have matched their shirts.

Alvarez took over in 1990. That is 22 years ago. A lot has changed at Wisconsin in the last 22 years, including Wisconsin football becoming respectable. Alvarez's record is different because he took over a losing program. People respect him because he won 3 Rose Bowls, after Wisconsin did nothing for decades.

You give deference to the man who built the program. You accept .500 records from the guy who through his own hard work built the program. He earned the respect he gets at Wisconsin. Because without Alvarez, none of this happens.

I am sorry but we expect more now, as we should. It would be like arguing that after Bo Ryan leaves, it will be okay if the next coach doesnt go to the NCAA tournament or win Big10 titles, because prior to 1999 Wisconsin basketball hadnt been in the NCAA tournament for 30+.

Wisconsin has higher expectations now.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)
Alvarez took over in 1990. That is 22 years ago. A lot has changed at Wisconsin in the last 22 years, including Wisconsin football becoming respectable. Alvarez's record is different because he took over a losing program. People respect him because he won 3 Rose Bowls, after Wisconsin did nothing for decades.

You give deference to the man who built the program. You accept .500 records from the guy who through his own hard work built the program. He earned the respect he gets at Wisconsin. Because without Alvarez, none of this happens.

I am sorry but we expect more now, as we should. It would be like arguing that after Bo Ryan leaves, it will be okay if the next coach doesnt go to the NCAA tournament or win Big10 titles, because prior to 1999 Wisconsin basketball hadnt been in the NCAA tournament for 30+.

Wisconsin has higher expectations now.

And Bielema won 74% of his games, 3 top ten finishes (same as Alvarez) In fact, his "embarrassing" 8 win season, gives him just 2 less than Alvarez in less than half the time. Look at some of the seasons Alvarez had after turning the program around. If you are expecting more, you better up the ante on the coach's salary, because obviously you think you are a top 10 program.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)
And Bielema won 74% of his games, 3 top ten finishes (same as Alvarez) In fact, his "embarrassing" 8 win season, gives him just 2 less than Alvarez in less than half the time. Look at some of the seasons Alvarez had after turning the program around. If you are expecting more, you better up the ante on the coach's salary, because obviously you think you are a top 10 program.

If you think Bielema is such a great coach, then start writing letters to your alma mater why they should hire him.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf...tabase/1715543/

Bielema was being paid $2.6million dollars at Wisconsin. That is more than the Head Coach at Florida, Notre Dame, USC and Penn State.

I am expecting Bielema to be better than those coaches if he believes he should be paid more. As he is not better than all of those coaches, what exact reason is there to give him a better raise? Bielema doesnt recruit well, he doesnt coach well, he just happened to be in charge of Wisconsin when the rest of the Big10 fell apart and thus he looks good.

You keep saying he won 74% of his games, that is basically the worst he could do.

Think about the schedule (well use 12 games for easy math):

12 games - 4 ooc games against unranked low opponents, all wins.

4/12 = 25% of his wins are guaranteed.

That leaves 8 games in the Big10.

4 of Wisconsin games in any year in the Big10 are against, Indiana (same division), Northwestern, Minnesota (protected rival every year), Illinois (same division), Purdue (same division)

So lets say his 4 wins are against Illinois, Minnesota, Purdue and Indiana.

Bielema goes 8/12- 75% by beating no one. Yet you argue his 74% win rate is something to brag about. It is basically the worst he could do.

Here are the facts,

2012- Wisconsin played 1 rank team, Nebraska and was 1-1.

2011- Wisconsin played 5 ranked teams, 3-2

2010- Wisconsin played 4 ranked teams, 2-2

2009- Wisconsin played 3 ranked teams, 1-2

2008- 4 ranked teams, 1-3

(Not sure rankings stats are right before that year so not going to include them as 06 and 07 show Wisconsin playing no ranked teams)

5 year total against ranked teams- 7-7

To me that track record is not worthy of being paid as a top 20 coach.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 02:34 PM)
If you think Bielema is such a great coach, then start writing letters to your alma mater why they should hire him.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf...tabase/1715543/

Bielema was being paid $2.6million dollars at Wisconsin. That is more than the Head Coach at Florida, Notre Dame, USC and Penn State.

I am expecting Bielema to be better than those coaches if he believes he should be paid more. As he is not better than all of those coaches, what exact reason is there to give him a better raise? Bielema doesnt recruit well, he doesnt coach well, he just happened to be in charge of Wisconsin when the rest of the Big10 fell apart and thus he looks good.

You keep saying he won 74% of his games, that is basically the worst he could do.

Think about the schedule (well use 12 games for easy math):

12 games - 4 ooc games against unranked low opponents, all wins.

4/12 = 25% of his wins are guaranteed.

That leaves 8 games in the Big10.

4 of Wisconsin games in any year in the Big10 are against, Indiana (same division), Northwestern, Minnesota (protected rival every year), Illinois (same division), Purdue (same division)

So lets say his 4 wins are against Illinois, Minnesota, Purdue and Indiana.

Bielema goes 8/12- 75% by beating no one. Yet you argue his 74% win rate is something to brag about. It is basically the worst he could do.

Here are the facts,

2012- Wisconsin played 1 rank team, Nebraska and was 1-1.

2011- Wisconsin played 5 ranked teams, 3-2

2010- Wisconsin played 4 ranked teams, 2-2

2009- Wisconsin played 3 ranked teams, 1-2

2008- 4 ranked teams, 1-3

(Not sure rankings stats are right before that year so not going to include them as 06 and 07 show Wisconsin playing no ranked teams)

5 year total against ranked teams- 7-7

To me that track record is not worthy of being paid as a top 20 coach.

Wow. You are going to be a very angry guy during football season the rest of your life.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
Wow. You are going to be a very angry guy during football season the rest of your life.

Why would that be?

Because I dont just say 74% is good without actually knowing what is really behind that number?

If Wisconsin wins, if they lose, they are still going to be my team. I am not a Wisconsin fan because Wisconsin is the greatest football/basketball school on the earth, I am a Wisconsin fan because that is where I chose to go to college. So win, lose or draw, I will still root for my team.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)
Why would that be?

Because I dont just say 74% is good without actually knowing what is really behind that number?

If Wisconsin wins, if they lose, they are still going to be my team. I am not a Wisconsin fan because Wisconsin is the greatest football/basketball school on the earth, I am a Wisconsin fan because that is where I chose to go to college. So win, lose or draw, I will still root for my team.

No, because you find so much wrong with a guy who was the coach for 7 years got the school 5 top 20 finishes and 3 top tens. That's not good enough. You aren't ever going to think what is coming is good enough.