Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)
No, because you find so much wrong with a guy who was the coach for 7 years got the school 5 top 20 finishes and 3 top tens. That's not good enough. You aren't ever going to think what is coming is good enough.

And what I keep trying to explain is that is a very simplistic way to look at the argument.

Does the man make the times, or do the times make the man?

In my opinion, the times made the man.

Maybe I am right, maybe I am wrong. But I have watched every second of Bielema's Wisconsin career, and I think that many coaches would have done better given similar circumstances.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)
No, because you find so much wrong with a guy who was the coach for 7 years got the school 5 top 20 finishes and 3 top tens. That's not good enough. You aren't ever going to think what is coming is good enough.

I'm telling you right now that wouldnt be good enough for me. Right John Cooper?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 07:12 PM)
The coaching carousel continues, Tommy Tuberville leaves TX Tech for Cincinnati.

Aw that sucks for Texas Tech, terrible year to hunt for head coaches. I've always liked that program.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 01:40 PM)
@ dasox24,

Rumor is former Vols OC Chaney is moving to MIzzou as OC. I certainly liked your offense more than ours, what would you think about that hire?

I'm a big fan of Chaney. I thought he did a really good job with the offense and just seemed like a great guy as well. My one fault with him was that he had a tendency to get away from the run game at times, but overall, it's hard to complain b/c we were putting up more than enough points to win if not for our defense. I think he'd be a great hire for Mizzou.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 08:46 AM)
I'm going to wait until their 10th fight and then catch that one.

If they keep selling tickets and stay this exciting, their may be 10. And I will watch them all! These two are incapable of making a boring fight. See my comments in the boxing thread so this one doesn't get hijacked.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 11:58 AM)
If Wisconsin thinks one 4-4 season in the Big 10 after 2 legit Rose Bowl appearances is grounds for firing, good luck to them. They will be going through more coaches than Al Davis.

Reminds me of when Self left Illinois. All of a sudden Illini fans said he wasn't a very good coach, couldn't win big games, slept with cheerleaders, good riddance. I think Self is a better coach than Bielema, but like him or not, his record at Wisconsin speaks for itself. His successor will have his work cut out for him just to match.

No one said Wisky was going to fire him. But the inability to develop a QB and lack of cohesion on the coaching staff makes me believe things were trending in the wrong direction.

Heard today, and have no clue if there is any merit, that Bielema talked to NFL teams about a job and that didn't make Barry Alvarez very happy. There may have been more going on than has been made public?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
Wow. You are going to be a very angry guy during football season the rest of your life.

I think you are way off here. I hate it when a coach loses his job and people who aren't closely involved start spouting off stats to make an argument. None of those stats factor in trends. Unfortunately, the events of the past year put Wisconsin football on a downward trend. Could it have been picked back up? Possibly. But I think there is a lot more to the story and I think it goes back to the coaching staff changes.

Alvarez left the program in a strong position for Bielema. He left him a good OC. They have great success and the OC gets a HC job and half the coaching staff leaves to go with the assistant? What does that say ab out the guy who is running the program? Then he fires his own hire two games into a season? Add the fact they have no QB and had to take an outside QB again, and that didn't work out, it just indicates to me the leadership was shaky. Add a 4-4 Big Ten season and finishing behind Penn St after what they went through and you have a recipe for things heading in the wrong direction. And if he did indeed look toward the NFL last year, it probably pissed off Alvarez, his biggest supporter. I think Bielema may have gotten out at just the right time.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 07:27 PM)
I think you are way off here. I hate it when a coach loses his job and people who aren't closely involved start spouting off stats to make an argument. None of those stats factor in trends. Unfortunately, the events of the past year put Wisconsin football on a downward trend. Could it have been picked back up? Possibly. But I think there is a lot more to the story and I think it goes back to the coaching staff changes.

Alvarez left the program in a strong position for Bielema. He left him a good OC. They have great success and the OC gets a HC job and half the coaching staff leaves to go with the assistant? What does that say ab out the guy who is running the program? Then he fires his own hire two games into a season? Add the fact they have no QB and had to take an outside QB again, and that didn't work out, it just indicates to me the leadership was shaky. Add a 4-4 Big Ten season and finishing behind Penn St after what they went through and you have a recipe for things heading in the wrong direction. And if he did indeed look toward the NFL last year, it probably pissed off Alvarez, his biggest supporter. I think Bielema may have gotten out at just the right time.

You can talk trends all you want, they blew out Nebraska and every one of their 5 losses was by 3 points. They were actually extremely close to having a terrific season.

How many minutes of Wisconsin football have you watched under Bielema?

Because the first words out of my mouth after the Big10 championship were: "What the hell just happened, why did Wisconsin all of a sudden completely change their philosophy."

The answer it seems is that Bielema thought Wisconsin was going to lose to Nebraska, so he just let his coordinators do whatever they wanted.