Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 03:07 PM)
In general. I just would not have imagined that the next Wisconsin coach would come from a team that is technically rated higher than Wisconsin right now. I figured they would either get a guy from the Pros or a coach on a team that has been meandering.

They may be technically rated higher than Wisconsin, but the 3 seasons prior, Utah State has a record of 15-22 in the WAC.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
I disagree.

The basics of the spread offense were originated with super powerhouse teams like Notre Dame and Navy in the early 1900's. It was then modified even in the modern times by powerhouses like Nebraska and Oklahoma in the 80's and even Houston in the 60's. Nowadays its a mix of run n shoot and the basics of those triple option teams into wht DickRod and Snyder deployed but its roots were way back when big time teams were using it.

Now some of the pass-heavy spreads were probably designed for mid level teams to even out the playing field since it negates a weakness on the O-line and perhaps speed in space, but the basic spread is a modified triple option run-oriented offense. My opinion of where that modern-day spread originated was for sure Randy Walker at Northwestern. In that case it was definitely designed to enhance your 1 or 2 advantages with built in counters and constraint plays.

My team runs the power-run oriented spread offense with some of the hurry up from Oregon and the pass-counters of those NW teams. I can show video of running plays this season that are directly out of the very early Notre Dame days.

Then we disagree. Notre Dame under Rockne used to have 3 rbs in the backfield, which is the opposite of the spread. Nebraska ran the triple option, which had a fb/rb in backfield, which is also not a spread.

You would have to show me some evidence, because the teams you are talking about always had TE's and used multiple rb's in the backfield. Rockne used the "T" formation, which is about as unspread as you can go.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 03:52 PM)
They may be technically rated higher than Wisconsin, but the 3 seasons prior, Utah State has a record of 15-22 in the WAC.

That is what happens when you take over a team that won 2 games in 2007 and 3 games in 2008.

In the last 2 years, hes 18-8 and has not lost by more than 10 points to any opponent.

You never know what will happen, but his team should have won @ Wisconsin this year. Which isnt bad.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 04:05 PM)
Then we disagree. Notre Dame under Rockne used to have 3 rbs in the backfield, which is the opposite of the spread. Nebraska ran the triple option, which had a fb/rb in backfield, which is also not a spread.

You would have to show me some evidence, because the teams you are talking about always had TE's and used multiple rb's in the backfield. Rockne used the "T" formation, which is about as unspread as you can go.

I'm hoping you dont mind me using Ohio State as an example of why the spread is derived from those offenses. This guy also happens to be a great resource overall for dissecting teams.

First link, check out the formation in the second video, 2RB, and TE in the backfield

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2012/02/not-...reads-are-alike

Last diagram shows a very basic triple option play used by those schools noted above. The difference these days is the players at times run more motion and line up in different spots, however the basic option power run game is the same.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2012/08/1302...-meyers-offense

The last video here shows the common pro-style power play with option/spread tendencies. You can see a few times that the backfield is FB RB QB and TE running an ISO game with constraint options.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2012/08/1354...g-and-love-dave

Here's an overall view of our offense which since you are looking at formations operated mostly out of 10 or 11 personnel with some wrinkles. However its pretty easy to see the option and blocking basics are that of the old triple option with a much more modern shotgun look. We also employed an empty-set modern day air raid scheme at times on 3rd down (seemed to never work). Our base offense was generally very option-centric with either 2RB's or an RB and an H back.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2012/12/1745...ffensive-scheme

Spread is more of a philosophy than a scheme and it does reply upon establishing the entire field. However the type of offense that a team plays off of that varies. The spread option offense derives its blocking schemes and contraint running plays from those schools I already mentioned, however in modern times they have also integrated adding additional receivers as well as the screen play.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 11:05 PM)
That is what happens when you take over a team that won 2 games in 2007 and 3 games in 2008.

In the last 2 years, hes 18-8 and has not lost by more than 10 points to any opponent.

You never know what will happen, but his team should have won @ Wisconsin this year. Which isnt bad.

I kind of can't believe that you are surprised that Wisconsin pulled a coach from Utah State. Nobody dreams about coaching at Utah State. Every coach is looking for a job at a top tier school in one of the 3 stable conferences in the country. It be more surprising if he had stayed at Utah St.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 04:56 PM)
I kind of can't believe that you are surprised that Wisconsin pulled a coach from Utah State. Nobody dreams about coaching at Utah State. Every coach is looking for a job at a top tier school in one of the 3 stable conferences in the country. It be more surprising if he had stayed at Utah St.

He was also offered the DC job at Ohio State last year and turned it down. I would say he was waiting for exactly this opportunity.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 04:05 PM)

They hired a flavor of the year mid-major coach. That's pretty standard practice for most hires nowadays.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 04:56 PM)

People thought Andersen was going to be like Petersen (Boise St.). He has never coached outside of Utah, he has allegedly turned down HC offers at Cal and another school. He also stated that he would not be leaving Utah State.

The reason I said that about rankings, is that Dick Allen kept talking about records and rankings, and how that meant everything. I was joking that Wisconsin hired a coach who did better than Bielema this season. Whether or not he actually continues that success at Wisconsin, who knows.

But I think most Wisconsin fans are pretty excited. The guy is bringing most of his staff and has seemingly been rated very well as a recruiter.

Its just an odd feeling as a Wisconsin football fan. I have never experienced a coaching search.

(edit)

Rock,

Im leaving work so didnt have to really respond, I will more later. But I am not arguing that you can use spread principles in other formations. I was just saying that the reason the spread was created was for little guys to have a chance against big guys. Whether or not it works for big guys is a different argument all together.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 02:08 AM)
?

Up 49-19. UCLA scores a touchdown to end the game 49-26. He thinks they didn't get in, so he was pissed off and yelling and trying to call a timeout so he could challenge it before time expired.

He then was all mad looking after they didn't let him.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 05:04 AM)
Up 49-19. UCLA scores a touchdown to end the game 49-26. He thinks they didn't get in, so he was pissed off and yelling and trying to call a timeout so he could challenge it before time expired.

He then was all mad looking after they didn't let him.

Maybe he had the under?

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 06:38 AM)
Yeah, Indiana doesn't have any mobile homes.

What's freaking hysterical is that the next county over (Elkhart County) is probably the mobile and pre-fab home capital of the US. A lot of people in South Bend make a lot of money directly from that industry.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 05:49 PM)
USC fans probably hoping they never have to see Max Wittig as QB again. 15-38, 108 yds, TD, 3 INT against a terrible defense.

Pretty embarrassing effort by Kiffin and Co today. Few weeks to prepare and his QB looks like complete trash.

But it was fun to see USC fall flat again.