Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

I was disappointed in the Michigan result today, but proud of how they fought and played. We gave up some big plays, which is frustrating. I believe it was Balta that posted that Michigan lost/was losing because they could't wrap up the QB. He was right. Bmags commented that UM couldn't get pressure without blitzing. That was true for the most part as well. A true pass rushing presence is lacking, although at times Frank Clark and Jibreel Black get there.

Unfortunately, UM was playing without their best two CB's, Blake Countess (out for the season in the Alabama game) and JT Floyd (suspended for bowl game). They've missed Countess all year, but Floyd would have given them better coverage wide which would have given them more confidence to blitz throughout the game. All year, the corners have been good enough to allow Mattison to dial up NFL type blitz packages. When UM usually gets beat deep in the air, its due to the safeties.

Sadly, the last play falls on the shoulders of Jordan Kovacs, the SR safety. There is no way he should have been chasing Ellington down the field. Kovacs is good in run support, but sometimes misses assignments. That said, I'm inclined to give the kid a pass. Kovacs came to Michigan and tried to make the team via open tryout, not even as an invited walk on. He initially was told he made the team, but failed the physical due to a HS injury that had not completely healed. He came back the next year and tried out again, this time making the team. He was forced to play some his freshman due to depth and ended up starting in RRod's last year. He's gotten better and better every year, ultimately beating out 4-start recruits challenging him for the position the last two years and becoming captain this year. He's not a great athlete and some pass coverages give him problems, but makes plays. He is everything you love in a college athlete. Great student, gets the most of his limited athletic ability, tough competitor, walk on that earned scholarship, captain, etc. etc. He's a good looking kid too, so he's probably pulling all kinds of tail on campus too. Bastard!

I just wish they would have gone with today's configuration all year. Gardner will only get better and think of what Denard could have done if they had all spring and fall to work him at WR as well as RB. You might have even seen him return kicks if that were the case. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20. We lost to the #1, 2, 3, 10 and 16 teams in the country, several of those which were close enough to win.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 05:03 PM)
Between the Chik Fil A bowl last night, and the Outback bowl today, damn good football. I was really going to post early on, that Michigan really needs a pure QB. But I don't know, Gardner made some great throws, some not great. Give him the offseason, and who knows. Hoke and the O line coach did a great job controlling the S.C. D line for the most part, but just like in the Tennessee game, all it takes is one Clowney play to change the game.

Great game

That was my first thought when I saw Clowney make that play.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 09:06 PM)
Florida St.'s playcalling is horrendous. Better play calling and this game is over already.

It should be shortly. The talent mismatch is so apparent. Lynch isn't good when you take away his running.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 09:10 PM)

I was reading something when Clowney was a HS senior and it said that if he was able to go from high school to the pros, he would've been a top 10 pick.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 09:06 PM)
Florida St.'s playcalling is horrendous. Better play calling and this game is over already.

They are averaging about 8 ypc. How is he not running more?

Edited by soxfan49

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 12:29 AM)
But it was a damn good time....Literally watched football all day...Best day of the year!

It use to be the best day of the year when every channel was jammed with bowl games starting at 11am EST with the Hall of Fame Bowl. But now that ESPN has a monopoly on the bowls, just isnt the same.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 01:36 AM)
It use to be the best day of the year when every channel was jammed with bowl games starting at 11am EST with the Hall of Fame Bowl. But now that ESPN has a monopoly on the bowls, just isnt the same.

The best day of the year comment was just a pun on it being the first day of the year =p

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 12:22 AM)
These announcers are actually doing a disservice to Jimbo Fischer. They keep hyping up all these great recruits he gets but just look at the on field product he produces.

The Mack Brown of the ACC. With what he pulls in at FSU, I don't understand how they can lose a game like N.C. State.

Yes. I think NBC had the Gator Bowl/Fiesta Bowl/Orange Bowl trio, ABC had the Citrus Bowl/Rose Bowl/Sugar Bowl trio, CBS had the Cotton Bowl, and ESPN had the Hall of Fame Bowl. There were always at least 2 games on at the same time so you never had to watch commercials.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 04:27 PM)
Great to see Northwestern finally win one. Fitzgerald's reaction afterwards was fantastic.

SEC hasn't been impressive with Mississippi State losing a 50/50 game and LSU losing last night. However, still picked up a pair of wins over top 20 teams today.

Big Ten probably goes 2-5 this bowl season, which is probably about what was expected. Heck, Northwestern was the only favorite.

The Big Ten goes 2-5 with two of their top teams on the sidelines this year.