Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 05:09 PM)
Wisconsin to the Rose Bowl is just an extreme fluke. That being said, they did obliterate Nebraska, so I am not really going to apologize to much. Especially as I think there is a hilarious chance they beat Stanford.

Nobody should ever have to apologize for their teams being in a bowl, you should just enjoy it.

Well, unless you cheated like crazy to get there and got caught. Then you should apologize

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 12:36 AM)
Because they shouldn't be there...NIU in, as Herbstreit called it, is a joke.

Also, BCS bowls don't mean anything? Pretty sure there's a lot of people that normally watch those games.

No, the draw is watching a good football game. Otherwise just match up every bowl game with mid-majors against BCS teams, and you can try for an upset every game.

The fact that you think it's a joke actually reassures me that it's not. Although, as an Illinois fan, you would recognize joke football, so maybe I should take that back.

I miss when I had more time to post here & be entertained by how convincingly you presented your consistently wrong opinions.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Herbstreits reaction reminds me a lot of Digger Phelps back when SIU and Creighton started making the tournament with regularity. Phelps completely buried SIU and basically gave the same "You have no right to be here" argument about SIU in 2001 when they opened the 11 seed vs 6 seed Texas Tech. Then SIU went to the Sweet 16 by beating Tech and Georgia and finally losing to UConn. Phelps fidgeted with a lot of highlighters during the tournament that year.

NIU just needs to show up and play.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 07:40 AM)
Herbstreits reaction reminds me a lot of Digger Phelps back when SIU and Creighton started making the tournament with regularity. Phelps completely buried SIU and basically gave the same "You have no right to be here" argument about SIU in 2001 when they opened the 11 seed vs 6 seed Texas Tech. Then SIU went to the Sweet 16 by beating Tech and Georgia and finally losing to UConn. Phelps fidgeted with a lot of highlighters during the tournament that year.

NIU just needs to show up and play.

Or the reaction to VCU in the 2011 Big Dance...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 08:01 AM)
Or the reaction to VCU in the 2011 Big Dance...

Bilas admitted he was wrong fairly quickly IIRC. He was the "Herbstreit" in that manufactured outrage segment. I actually like Bilas, he called the Kansas SIU sweet 16 game in 07 and was nothing but complimentary.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 09:11 AM)
Bilas admitted he was wrong fairly quickly IIRC. He was the "Herbstreit" in that manufactured outrage segment. I actually like Bilas, he called the Kansas SIU sweet 16 game in 07 and was nothing but complimentary.

Apart from his Duke homerism, I also think he does a particularly good job with college basketball in general.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 08:11 AM)

Actually, he never did and stuck by his guns the whole time, and I think he has a point. The selection committee chooses the teams with best overall resumes to get in the tournament, not the teams that they think have the best chance to win a game. VCU's run in the tourney doesn't necessarily validate that their resume was deserving of a NCAA bid. (I'm agreeing with his line of thinking, not which team had a better resume at the time)

That's a big difference with this NIU thing. The basketball tourney is a subjective decision. The BCS has a list of rules & stipulations that must occur in order for a team like NIU to qualify. Those rules were agreed upon by the major conferences. And all those crazy stipulations happened, so NIU is in the BCS, they weren't just "chosen" by a committee. The human voters had like 9 or 10 non-BCS teams ahead of them, so it's not like they thought they were a top-10 team.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 08:29 AM)
Actually, he never did and stuck by his guns the whole time, and I think he has a point. The selection committee chooses the teams with best overall resumes to get in the tournament, not the teams that they think have the best chance to win a game. VCU's run in the tourney doesn't necessarily validate that their resume was deserving of a NCAA bid. (I'm agreeing with his line of thinking, not which team had a better resume at the time)

That's a big difference with this NIU thing. The basketball tourney is a subjective decision. The BCS has a list of rules & stipulations that must occur in order for a team like NIU to qualify. Those rules were agreed upon by the major conferences. And all those crazy stipulations happened, so NIU is in the BCS, they weren't just "chosen" by a committee. The human voters had like 9 or 10 non-BCS teams ahead of them, so it's not like they thought they were a top-10 team.

You are 100 percent correct, my mistake.

There is always someone who just wants to complain in these shows, lol

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 05:22 PM)
Only 3 Heisman finalists this time around: Manziel, Teo, Klein

Teo is one of the least qualified finalists I can remember in recent history. I saw the first qualification on his sheet was "provided senior leadership." LOL

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 06:33 PM)
Teo is one of the least qualified finalists I can remember in recent history. I saw the first qualification on his sheet was "provided senior leadership." LOL

Yep, it flat out is not a Team MVP award. Seeing the 4 Oklahoman writers all vote Te'o first was interesting to see, but 3 of those writers also didn't vote RG3 first last year. Heisman Pundit and SI predict it's Manziel to win, while USA Today survey has it very close (rumors are that the survey is made up of mostly writers from midwest/NE).

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 11:42 AM)
Yep, it flat out is not a Team MVP award. Seeing the 4 Oklahoman writers all vote Te'o first was interesting to see, but 3 of those writers also didn't vote RG3 first last year. Heisman Pundit and SI predict it's Manziel to win, while USA Today survey has it very close (rumors are that the survey is made up of mostly writers from midwest/NE).

Has there EVER been a Heisman winner who didnt score a single time all season? I'm checking and I cant find one.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 05:44 PM)
Has there EVER been a Heisman winner who didnt score a single time all season? I'm checking and I cant find one.

That's why Tuitt would have been higher on my ballot than Te'o was. Speaking of that, my top 10 would have been:

1. Manziel (I was rooting for Alabama vs TAMU, and I couldn't believe how good he was)

2. Mariota

3. Klein

4. Miller

5. Tuitt

6. Te'o

7. McCarron

8. Ball

9. Lynch

10. Barner

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 11:42 AM)

I'm seeing Manziel as a 13-1 favorite while Kilen is a 5-1 dog and Teo is a 4-1 dog. That pretty much tells me Manziel is going to win.

So uhhh Bret Bielema is the new coach at Arkansas...

@Matt_HayesSN Do I really need to pull out my Bielema quote from this summer: "We (#B1G) don't want to be like the SEC in any way, shape or form."

Edited by WHarris1