Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 05:20 PM)
How many minutes of Wisconsin football have you watched under Bielema?

Because the first words out of my mouth after the Big10 championship were: "What the hell just happened, why did Wisconsin all of a sudden completely change their philosophy."

The answer it seems is that Bielema thought Wisconsin was going to lose to Nebraska, so he just let his coordinators do whatever they wanted.

Is that a fact you learned from someone with the team, or just more speculation? I really think the next coach that leaves a successful major college program for another and doesn't get slammed by his former team's fan base as being a bad coach, or an asshole or some guy who was about to get fired, will be the first. Coaches ultimately get judged by wins and losses. Bielema had a better win ing percentage than Alvarez and most likely will have a better one than his successor.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 05:32 PM)
Is that a fact you learned from someone with the team, or just more speculation? I really think the next coach that leaves a successful major college program for another and doesn't get slammed by his former team's fan base as being a bad coach, or an asshole or some guy who was about to get fired, will be the first. Coaches ultimately get judged by wins and losses. Bielema had a better win ing percentage than Alvarez and most likely will have a better one than his successor.

Its mere speculation. After winning the Rose Bowl Bielema paraded around Wisconsin with the trophy and told the Seniors on Monday to ignore the rumors as he wasnt leaving.

The next morning he left for Arkansas, but asked Wisconsin if he could still coach in the Rose Bowl.

The problem with your argument is that you are acting like people loved Bielema prior to his leaving and then changed when he left. He was not well liked by Wisconsin fans from day 1, even though he was Barry's hand picked successor he was considered an extremely underwhelming choice. Even worse, Bielema (an Iowa player) was selected over home town boy Paul Chryst.

Last year Paul Chryst left Wisconsin for Pittsburgh and most assistants went with him. It wasnt about money, it was about the fact that Bielama is extremely arrogant and hard to work with.

And you keep harping on winning percentage, but there needs to be context. The next Wisconsin HC will likely have a lower winning percentage because Big10 will likely increase in-conference games and thus he will have 1 less automatic victory every year.

Does it prove that Bielema is a good coach because he can beat Wisconsin State Tech every year?

I assume since you did not answer that you havent watched Wisconsin play at all.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 05:32 PM)

Eh, Alvarez turned the program around and made it legit, BB just followed his plan. Comparing winning percentage is a really terrible way to look at it. Alvarez inherited a program that hadnt won a conference title in almost 30 years. Wisconsin fans will remember the guy who resurrected the program and had 8 bowl wins over the guy who took over and and 2-4 including 2 BCS losses back to back.

Also alot of people will always say Barry fell off a bit at the end. His talent level took awhile to rebound but he also ran into the buzzsaw that was Michigan, the resurgent Ohio State, and a good PSU program.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 05:38 PM)
Its mere speculation. After winning the Rose Bowl Bielema paraded around Wisconsin with the trophy and told the Seniors on Monday to ignore the rumors as he wasnt leaving.

The next morning he left for Arkansas, but asked Wisconsin if he could still coach in the Rose Bowl.

The problem with your argument is that you are acting like people loved Bielema prior to his leaving and then changed when he left. He was not well liked by Wisconsin fans from day 1, even though he was Barry's hand picked successor he was considered an extremely underwhelming choice. Even worse, Bielema (an Iowa player) was selected over home town boy Paul Chryst.

Last year Paul Chryst left Wisconsin for Pittsburgh and most assistants went with him. It wasnt about money, it was about the fact that Bielama is extremely arrogant and hard to work with.

And you keep harping on winning percentage, but there needs to be context. The next Wisconsin HC will likely have a lower winning percentage because Big10 will likely increase in-conference games and thus he will have 1 less automatic victory every year.

Does it prove that Bielema is a good coach because he can beat Wisconsin State Tech every year?

I assume since you did not answer that you havent watched Wisconsin play at all.

Sorry, this is more sour grapes .it wasn't about money, it was just coincidental they now get paid more. Everyone hates Biellema blah,blah, blah. Next time a coach leaves like Bielema did, go to one of thei message boards. You will hear the same thing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 05:47 PM)
Sorry, this is more sour grapes .it wasn't about money, it was just coincidental they now get paid more. Everyone hates Biellema blah,blah, blah. Next time a coach leaves like Bielema did, go to one of thei message boards. You will hear the same thing.

No it really isnt.

If Bo Ryan was hired to be the next coach at UNC for more money, Id bet most Wisconsin fans would be congratulating Bo on all the hard work and effort he put into Wisconsin.

You have not even watched Wisconsin play, yet you are acting like you know something about the football program. That is hubris.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 05:43 PM)
Eh, Alvarez turned the program around and made it legit, BB just followed his plan. Comparing winning percentage is a really terrible way to look at it. Alvarez inherited a program that hadnt won a conference title in almost 30 years. Wisconsin fans will remember the guy who resurrected the program and had 8 bowl wins over the guy who took over and and 2-4 including 2 BCS losses back to back.

Also alot of people will always say Barry fell off a bit at the end. His talent level took awhile to rebound but he also ran into the buzzsaw that was Michigan, the resurgent Ohio State, and a good PSU program.

I do n't understand why wins would be a terrible way to look at it. When they picked the Big Ten coach of the year, you complained and mentioned wins.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 07:37 PM)
I do n't understand why wins would be a terrible way to look at it. When they picked the Big Ten coach of the year, you complained and mentioned wins.

I did? Im not sure I commented on Big 10 Coach of the year.

And wins arent a good reason because it doesnt take into account how many games you were supposed to win to start.

If my team is favored by 20+ points in 90% of the games, an 80% success rate isnt good, right?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 07:39 PM)
I did? Im not sure I commented on Big 10 Coach of the year.

And wins arent a good reason because it doesnt take into account how many games you were supposed to win to start.

If my team is favored by 20+ points in 90% of the games, an 80% success rate isnt good, right?

It wasn't a response to your post. A coach is like a GM since they are ultimately going to get credit or criticism for their roster. Wins are what matters the most.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 07:37 PM)

No, I mentioned improvement in wins. Win differential from year to year. (Badge, I b****ed that its been 33 years since OSU had a COTY, and Urban took a 6-7 team to 12-0 and didnt win it)

The first few years of Alvarez were cleaning up dogs***, thats why his win % is a little harder to study. BB came into a good program with high expectations and followed a system already in place.

Edited by RockRaines

And overall, I love Bielema, other that keeping my team from a legitimate shot at a national title we have beat the s*** out of him. However, my Wisconsin friends have detested him for a few years because of his tendency to beat down crap teams and lose in important games, especially to what has been the big dog in the conference. They also probably hated my gloating, but seriously its not isolated to since he left. Badge I disagree on a TON of s*** (everything?), but I really have seen his point of view first hand. When Chryst left and took other assistants with him many Wisconsin fans thought the writing was on the wall.

Edited by RockRaines

Was disappointed Chaney went with Bielema, but I'm open to promoting Andy Hill to OC. I do think this year was mostly done in by injuries, but a disaster due to some poor '10 class production. I think we'll be better.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
Pete Thamel ‏@SIPeteThamel

Al Golden, a favorite of Barry Alvarez, has emerged heavily at Wisconsin. Source says Golden mulling a decision today.

On Sunday I told my cousins who went to Miami thanks for the coach. They thought I was crazy, but it makes perfect sense when you think about the Donna Shalala- Barry Alvarez love fest.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)

Just wait, he has a 30 for 30 coming out. Hopefully it talks about where that money came from (it was the mob). That story were he was supposedly going to kill someone is a bit off, the real story as told by people close to him is that the mob was coming back to collect on the loans he got and thats why he was wearing kevlar at all times.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 10:52 PM)
No, I mentioned improvement in wins. Win differential from year to year. (Badge, I b****ed that its been 33 years since OSU had a COTY, and Urban took a 6-7 team to 12-0 and didnt win it)

The first few years of Alvarez were cleaning up dogs***, thats why his win % is a little harder to study. BB came into a good program with high expectations and followed a system already in place.

Right, and I've mentioned that. Bielema still won a higher percentage of his games than Alvarez did if you don't count the games until the season Barry won the Big Ten for the first time..After Alvarez won back to back Rose Bowls and his 3rd overall, he went 13-19 his next 4 years in the Big Ten. Now it's embarrassing for one 4-4 season.

I bet at least 80% of college football fans has some kind of problem with the coach at the school they root for, and 99 % have a problem with the coach no matter how successful he has been if he leaves for more money. Then all the same stuff comes out. Can't get along with anyone. Was probably on his way out anyway. Is a bad coach, doesn't beat the best teams. School is way better off without him....

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 04:18 PM)
No suspension for Quinton Dial for his above the shoulders, helmet to helmet hit on Georgia QB Aaron Murray.

So, in the NFL this costs a player probably at least 15K. In college, no flag is thrown, and no penalty levied by the conference.

Makes total sense.

That's the exact bulls*** hit that needs to be out of football at every level. Everyone wants free shots. A lot of these concussion issues could be cleaned up if guys had more respect for each other.