Obamanation Re-election MegaThread

StrangeSox

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't like President Obama, but I do like Candidate Obama...which is who I think he will be if he is re-elected. Romney is the Republican version of Kerry (out of touch and elitist). Gingrich is, well, just not quite all there. Can't put my finger on it, but he just scares me.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 07:36 AM)
Won't matter if Obama is re-elected if Congress has Republican majority. It's my opinion that the voters panicked two years ago and some states are paying for it (Wisconsin).

And just how is Wisconsin 'paying for it'? They laid off less than 1% of teachers, had most school budget shortfalls turned around and are on the right path fiscally. They also rid the school boards of the previous requirement o purchase insurance ONLY from a UNION OWNED INSURANCE COMPANY. The moment they actually had to bid their services, they dropped the rates by over 50%. So that means that previously they were sucking off 50% extra from each and every Wisconsin taxpayer that went to a union owned company that had a contractual monopoly with zero incentive to provide value for its services. The state is better off now, with the exception of 1% of the teachers and some union bank accounts.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 03:48 PM)
And just how is Wisconsin 'paying for it'? They laid off less than 1% of teachers, had most school budget shortfalls turned around and are on the right path fiscally. They also rid the school boards of the previous requirement o purchase insurance ONLY from a UNION OWNED INSURANCE COMPANY. The moment they actually had to bid their services, they dropped the rates by over 50%. So that means that previously they were sucking off 50% extra from each and every Wisconsin taxpayer that went to a union owned company that had a contractual monopoly with zero incentive to provide value for its services. The state is better off now, with the exception of 1% of the teachers and some union bank accounts.

Yeah, but, well, people signed petitions and stuff. So, there.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)
I don't like President Obama, but I do like Candidate Obama...which is who I think he will be if he is re-elected. Romney is the Republican version of Kerry (out of touch and elitist). Gingrich is, well, just not quite all there. Can't put my finger on it, but he just scares me.

What are you basing this on?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 04:26 PM)
What are you basing this on?

It's just a hunch based on it being a lame duck term. I may be completely off-base, but he doesn't have to worry about being re-elected, so he can go out on a limb more than in his first term.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 04:10 PM)

I echo your sentiments.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 04:32 PM)
Because you know what has zero impact on the quality of life and education in a state? Teachers.

Would you rather they lay off 20-30% of the teachers, or less than 1% with all taking a small pay cut? If you were in the 70% that had a job afterwards, you might say 'screw the others'. But all working is better than up to a third on unemployment. And don't cry poor for Wisconsin teachers. All you heard was that if Walker got his way, schools would be even deeper in the red and half the teachers would lose their jobs. How wrong those accusations were because the opposite happened. barely anyone lost a job and most have balanced budgets now. i have two college friends teaching up there, they are far from poor. The one teachers at UM-Madison and makes over 200k a year when you figure in his benefits. He is complaining that he has to now pay 4% for his insurance. Yeah, he's hurting. Not.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)
Obama's average favorability never dipped below 50%, Romney's favorability is around 30% today.

Who cares what the average favorability is when he is currently sitting under 50%.

I guess it's best to spin it to whatever sounds most favorable depending on your side.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 07:34 PM)
Would you rather they lay off 20-30% of the teachers, or less than 1% with all taking a small pay cut?

And a small tax increase is clearly off the table. Because you know, salaries don't affect performance at all. That's why wall street constantly lays off their highly paid employees. You don't have any need to retain top talent by paying good wages.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 06:56 PM)
Who cares what the average favorability is when he is currently sitting under 50%.

I guess it's best to spin it to whatever sounds most favorable depending on your side.

In was a question in the context of "does a long, drawn-out primary help or hurt candidates, on balance?"

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 07:10 PM)
And a small tax increase is clearly off the table. Because you know, salaries don't affect performance at all. That's why wall street constantly lays off their highly paid employees. You don't have any need to retain top talent by paying good wages.

Hey, you man Obama says everyone needs some skins in the game, and the top people should contribute more. Turns out Wisconsin teachers make mroe than the average Wisconsin resident. Average resident pay is $37,398. Average teacher salary is in the mid $40's. Not including benefits.

http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/dataondemand/33534649.html

http://dailycaller.com/2011/02/21/wisconsi...yre-letting-on/

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 10:10 PM)
Hey, you man Obama says everyone needs some skins in the game, and the top people should contribute more. Turns out Wisconsin teachers make mroe than the average Wisconsin resident. Average resident pay is $37,398. Average teacher salary is in the mid $40's. Not including benefits.

Another report that ignores education levels, awesome!

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 11:10 PM)

Wow, $40k a year for a teacher. I mean, that's f***ing ridiculous. Greedy pigs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 07:54 AM)

Let's look at what those poor GOP CEOs are earning, from USAToday http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/ma...2010/45634384/1

•Climbed back toward prerecession levels. Median CEO pay in 2010 was $9.0 million, based on 158 Standard & Poor’s 500 index companies with the same CEO serving all of 2009 and 2010 that have reported CEO pay, according to the USA TODAY analysis of data from GovernanceMetrics based on proxies that have already been filed.

The median amount that CEOs actually took home — which includes salary and cash bonuses, as well as stock and options awarded in previous years that vested or were cashed in — was $8.6 million. That’s the most CEOs have pulled down since the median of $9.2 million in 2007, according to GovernanceMetrics’ analysis of S&P 500 companies.

Of course one CEO is easily worth as much as four schools full of teachers (about 215).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 07:54 AM)

That doesn't include the universities, and it was more list $45k, and was almost $10k MORE than the average resident of the state. Not a lot for say New York, but apparently in WI, it is. Just face the facts. The state saved jobs, and budgets. Everyone paid the price, INCLUDING TEACHERS. They can't be immune to the same realities that everyone else has to face. Keep twisting and changing the goalposts, you are good at that. First they are boned. Then I show that they are not. Then they are poor. Then I show they are not. Then they are poor compared to teachers elsewhere. Just keep on moving the posts, you never lose that way.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 10:07 AM)
Let's look at what those poor GOP CEOs are earning, from USAToday http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/ma...2010/45634384/1

Of course one CEO is easily worth as much as four schools full of teachers (about 215).

Nobody ever said they were Tex. CEO pay has zero to do with Wisconsin budgets and teacher pay. Even with the cuts, teachers in the non-university schools still make almost $10k more than the average resident. University teachers make almost double the average resident. It's about time the 1% of the state paid their fair share, you all should be applauding it!

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 10:07 AM)

And how many of these "CEO's" are there and how many teachers? I sincerely wish people would stop tossing the monicker CEO around like every CEO is rich when all they're talking about is Fortune 250 CEO's.

I know two people who run their own small companies and both are their respective CEO's...and neither make more than 65k per year. To be fair, one of the two made half that.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 10:40 AM)
And how many of these "CEO's" are there and how many teachers? I sincerely wish people would stop tossing the monicker CEO around like every CEO is rich when all they're talking about is Fortune 250 CEO's.

I know two people who run their own small companies and both are their respective CEO's...and neither make more than 65k per year.

When I was CEO of my company I made about $50k.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)
That doesn't include the universities, and it was more list $45k, and was almost $10k MORE than the average resident of the state. Not a lot for say New York, but apparently in WI, it is. Just face the facts. The state saved jobs, and budgets. Everyone paid the price, INCLUDING TEACHERS. They can't be immune to the same realities that everyone else has to face. Keep twisting and changing the goalposts, you are good at that. First they are boned. Then I show that they are not. Then they are poor. Then I show they are not. Then they are poor compared to teachers elsewhere. Just keep on moving the posts, you never lose that way.

Except for the tax cuts, which had to be passed.