Out of Iraq into . . .

Texsox

How about Mexico?

http://www.themonitor.com/articles/reporte...t-sullivan.html

The Monitor

NEAR SULLIVAN CITY — A shootout between rival members of two organized crime groups and the Mexican military ended at the banks of the Rio Grande, where at least one man was possibly killed on the U.S. side.

The shootout began Thursday afternoon along the Ribereña Highway near the Anzalduas International Bridge in Reynosa between the organized crime groups, according to a source outside law enforcement with direct knowledge.

Members of the Mexican military responded to the scene, and a chase ensued for more than 20 miles from the area all the way to the outskirts of Diaz Ordaz, Tamaulipas, where some of the men then tried to make their way to the U.S. side, the source said.

U.S. Border Patrol agents patrolling the river near Havana encountered several subjects. One of them was injured, which prompted the agents to seek medical attention for the man, said USBP spokeswoman Rosalinda Huey.

At the scene, at least two men were taken into custody by US, authorities.

A U.S. law enforcement official not authorized to speak to the media said that U.S. law enforcement officers discharged their firearms during the incident and also confirmed at least two or more bodies could be seen on the Mexican side of the border.

Soon after the incident, a U.S. law enforcement helicopter could be seen overhead combing the area for additional individuals.

FBI spokesman Erick Vasys said his agency had taken over the investigation because at least one person had possibly died on the U.S. side. However, because the investigation is in its early states, he could not disclose additional information, including whether the men were armed or fleeing a firefight.

There is some evidence that both cartels are using the US side as a "seize fire zone". They know that any spill over violence would invite the US military to intervene. However, with an announced build up in the Pacific, just off Mexico's coast, and a nice border wall being built, and anti-Mexican sentiment higher than it has since the Mexican-American war, why not?

ON a personal note, the toll this has taken along the border is palpable. International families no longer travel south for weekly dinners, maquilla workers travel in groups to return to the US each night. Our stores are struggling because middle class Mexican nationals from interior cities are afraid to drive across the the border area. Our few private airfields are full as wealthier Mexican nationals fly over the violence for their weekend shopping trips. Winter Texans are ordering their medicines from Canadian pharmacies instead of slipping across the border to buy in Mexico. Organized junkets to the leather and glass shops of Monterrey, Mexico have been replaced by gambling junkets to Louisiana and Eagle Pass, Texas.

But with extra military coming home, why not send some "advisers" and "trainers" to Mexico to assist their military in stopping the drug cartels as the cartels do their best to supply American drug users with their products?

The whole country is a cesspool of corruption that makes our congress look like saints. Somehow the culture needs to change, and not sure our military is going to do that. They need their own 'mexican spring' to get rid of corrupt politicians, cops and soldiers, and find some good people willing to risk their lives to fight for their country. With the oil and tourism there, Mexico should be a thriving economy. Guess someone missed that memo.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 07:12 AM)
The whole country is a cesspool of corruption that makes our congress look like saints. Somehow the culture needs to change, and not sure our military is going to do that. They need their own 'mexican spring' to get rid of corrupt politicians, cops and soldiers, and find some good people willing to risk their lives to fight for their country. With the oil and tourism there, Mexico should be a thriving economy. Guess someone missed that memo.

Yet almost weekly Mexico experiences judges and elected officials being assasinated or driven from office for not bending to the cartels. They have cops and soldiers getting killed trying to stop the cartels. It has been five years since I worked full time in Mexico but then I would not have termed it a cesspool. It is worse than the US, but not nearly as bad as many people believe.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 10:02 AM)
Yet almost weekly Mexico experiences judges and elected officials being assasinated or driven from office for not bending to the cartels. They have cops and soldiers getting killed trying to stop the cartels. It has been five years since I worked full time in Mexico but then I would not have termed it a cesspool. It is worse than the US, but not nearly as bad as many people believe.

Tex, trust me, I do read of the stories of the few honest people there getting threatened and/or killed. It pains me to see peole trying to do the right thing get no backing from their fellow countrymen. If Mexico wanted to actually use their own military to combat that, I would have no issue with helping them with some training here and there. But our boots need to stay here for the most part.