The Pet Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 07:41 PM)
Ax4O4KICQAAElk_.jpg

This is my new pup. He's 8 weeks old. We know that his mom was a purebred golden retriever. Do you guys have any idea what kid of mixture he is? His tail is about a foot long, skinny and black with a white tip.

That puppy will get you women.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 08:41 PM)
Ax4O4KICQAAElk_.jpg

This is my new pup. He's 8 weeks old. We know that his mom was a purebred golden retriever. Do you guys have any idea what kid of mixture he is? His tail is about a foot long, skinny and black with a white tip.

Adorable puppy.

As for what the lab was mixed with, it could be a Sheltie/Collie mix or Bernese Mountain Dog/St Bernard mix. Exhibits some potential characteristics of either of those

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 08:41 PM)
Ax4O4KICQAAElk_.jpg

Did a google search for a St Bernard / Lab mix and got this

1.jpg

Very similar to your pup

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 11:30 AM)
Any idea if a Thundershirt helps separation anxiety? My dog barks incessantly whenever we leave him by himself. We come back to a dog with laryngitis.

Mine opens and then locks herself in the bathroom when we leave. We've watched it on webcam. Im testing that out today. Last night I tested turning on the stove and cooking (she usually shakes like crazy) and it seemed to work a little bit.

428937_2946230633852_1526904342_n.jpg

553832_2946225593726_1207050104_n.jpg

We just rescued her from the local animal shelter. She is a rott mix named Jade and they estimate that she's about 2 years old. She might have some lab or retriever in her but she has the rottweiler markings. She's kinda small for her breed but she's also very under-weight. We have no idea how long she had been out on her own.

For a little bit of fate or karma or whatever you want to call it... Our husky was cremated on July 3. The same day Jade was found as a stray in the middle of a field.

Edited by Iwritecode

Left my dog to go hit balls on lunch, unfortunately it rained as I was eating lunch in bridgeport and I came home and my dog had opened the bathroom door, closed it, chewed a little (its already chewed a ton) and peed everywhere. Probably should have tested thundershirt.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 07:42 PM)
My roommate is out right now to go pick up a 2 month old golden lab. I've never had a dog, or any other free-roaming pet, before.

I'm about 80% excited and 20% terrified.

Don't be scared. Cats and dogs are awesome. Could be a little annoying at the beginning though due to EXCESSIVE PUPPY ENERGY HELLO I LOVE YOU HEY LETS PLAY THIS LOOKS GOOD TO CHEW.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 02:46 PM)
Don't be scared. Cats and dogs are awesome. Could be a little annoying at the beginning though due to EXCESSIVE PUPPY ENERGY HELLO I LOVE YOU HEY LETS PLAY THIS LOOKS GOOD TO CHEW.

Yeah. I'm mostly worried about the little things I'm not used to, like "Oh hey you peed everywhere!" or "Oh hey thanks for sitting on me you're so cute OH WAIT YOU PEED ON ME." But still mostly excited.

Plus, it's his dog, so he's paying for it, primarily taking care of it, etc. I'm just along for the ride.

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 08:01 PM)
Yeah. I'm mostly worried about the little things I'm not used to, like "Oh hey you peed everywhere!" or "Oh hey thanks for sitting on me you're so cute OH WAIT YOU PEED ON ME." But still mostly excited.

Plus, it's his dog, so he's paying for it, primarily taking care of it, etc. I'm just along for the ride.

What are your roommates house-training plans? Is he experienced with raising a puppy?

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
What are your roommates house-training plans? Is he experienced with raising a puppy?

Yeah, he's raised them before. The puppy's crate trained right now, and my roommate explained the rest of the process.

559102_3053657777852_685570454_n.jpg

Edited by farmteam

Sorry I didn't see the conversation about the Thundershirts earlier. My two dogs are horrible with thunderstoms, fireworks, loud noises, etc. Our Scottish terrier just goes and runs under one of the beds, but our Kerry Blue Terrier shakes uncontrollably, pants, and will pace all around whatever room you are in and lots of time try and get as close to you as possible. We got him a thundershirt and only saw very minimal improvement, sometimes it works ok on him and other times not so much.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 11:44 PM)
I'm surprised my 5 month old doesn't run around going crazy with storms. Not one issue. I guess it's just hit or miss?

Hit or miss is right. My old lab doesn't even seem to notice the storms. My brother-in-law's lab absolutely freaks out for any thunder or fireworks. They got her the thundershirt and it helped some.

I'm surprised my 5 month old doesn't run around going crazy with storms. Not one issue. I guess it's just hit or miss?

My rot as a puppy went with me to watch fireworks for the first 2-3 years and then developed the fear later on.

Friend of mine had a chocolate lab who had like a sixth sense and could tell when there was bad weather in the forecast. He would LITERALLY lay down In the shower through the duration of the storm, everytime like clockwork. We called it storm watch. Tell ya what though, he was more accurate in predicting a storm than most weather forecasters. Smart dog.

Edited by northside sawx

QUOTE (northside sawx @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
Friend of mine had a chocolate lab who had like a sixth sense and could tell when there was bad weather in the forecast. He would LITERALLY lay down In the shower through the duration of the storm, everytime like clockwork. We called it storm watch. Tell ya what though, he was more accurate in predicting a storm than most weather forecasters. Smart dog.

Yeah my Kerry Blue definitely starts his routine before the storm starts.