The Pet Thread

iamshack

My pup (7 months old) came down with something yesterday. He has diarrhea and can't keep food down. Our vets office is closed on Sundays and I don't think this is something that requires a trip to the emergency vet (he's in fine spirits otherwise and we're making him drink water to avoid dehydration). Reading on the internets, I see boiled chicken and rice consistently recommended as a good food for dogs with upset stomachs. Any thoughts on that?

As usual, I'll hang up and listen.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
My pup (7 months old) came down with something yesterday. He has diarrhea and can't keep food down. Our vets office is closed on Sundays and I don't think this is something that requires a trip to the emergency vet (he's in fine spirits otherwise and we're making him drink water to avoid dehydration). Reading on the internets, I see boiled chicken and rice consistently recommended as a good food for dogs with upset stomachs. Any thoughts on that?

The combo of diarrhea and vomiting can be a sign of parvo and that's the danger age group. Of course they usually aren't very happy in that case. And there is usually mucous or blood. If its just food then its probably not as serious.

Did he eat anything new? Meet new dogs? Could be an infection.

Frankly if he is still both vomiting and having diarrhea id get him to a vet.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)

Parvo has a very unique smell. Obviously, the diarrhea will smell bad, but there's also a battery/iron type of smell associated with it. If there's no muccus or blood in the stool, I'd wait it out. Make sure he stays hydrated.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 11:44 PM)
I'm surprised my 5 month old doesn't run around going crazy with storms. Not one issue. I guess it's just hit or miss?

My 6 year old boston didn't think twice about storms until last year. Now any hint of thunder and she shakes. She used to love going on walks in a downpour, playing in puddles. Not so much now. I think when they're puppies they haven't learned a sense of awareness. Later on they do.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 09:28 AM)
The combo of diarrhea and vomiting can be a sign of parvo and that's the danger age group. Of course they usually aren't very happy in that case. And there is usually mucous or blood. If its just food then its probably not as serious.

Did he eat anything new? Meet new dogs? Could be an infection.

Frankly if he is still both vomiting and having diarrhea id get him to a vet.

Nah, my dog gets that all the time. bowl of rice and maybe some chicken shoudl solve some of it. He/She may have just eaten something that doesnt agree with its stomach. I would take a stool sample to the vet to be sure, and they have this power that you can put on food that stops this immediately, but I cannot remember its name.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 06:38 PM)
Sounds like I'm lucky. As long mine is indoors, storms don't bother him. He won't go outside when it's thundering and lightning though.

Panting and closing herself in the bathroom and I KNOW its going to storm. Clockwork.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know how much discussion there has been in here about discount pet stuff, but doggyloot is a really cool site. My fiance orders from them probably twice a week for our pup. Bully sticks, toys, and the like.

Also, as an update on my pup, he's over what turned out to be a bacteria infection. He's back to his old self which has us very, very relieved.

One night last week our dog threw up her food. Called the vet just to check, just said keep an eye on her, once in a while they throw up, etc.

Last night, all the sudden she throws up her food on the floor. From what we can tell, she seemed fine and ran around the rest of the night after it.

She hadn't thrown up at all since we've had her, but then once last week once this week. Is it just normal for dogs to throw up every once in a while, or should I be more concerned?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 09:32 AM)
One night last week our dog threw up her food. Called the vet just to check, just said keep an eye on her, once in a while they throw up, etc.

Last night, all the sudden she throws up her food on the floor. From what we can tell, she seemed fine and ran around the rest of the night after it.

She hadn't thrown up at all since we've had her, but then once last week once this week. Is it just normal for dogs to throw up every once in a while, or should I be more concerned?

Did she show any interest in eating it again after she barfed (not different food, but actually the food she threw up)?

She was kind of sniffing it but we got rid of it pretty quickly so hard to tell, but she didn't go right back to dig in. This was probably 2 hours or so after she ate it.

Is it good or bad if she did want to eat it?

She ate her breakfast this morning no problem.

One of my cats does this probably once a week. We were told it is probably because she eats too fast... ?

I've never had an animal that didn't throw up from time to time.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)
She was kind of sniffing it but we got rid of it pretty quickly so hard to tell, but she didn't go right back to dig in. This was probably 2 hours or so after she ate it.

Is it good or bad if she did want to eat it?

She ate her breakfast this morning no problem.

It is actually good to let them try and eat it again if they want to.

Many times they do this just because they swallowed something too quickly. They don't usually chew (their teeth aren't really designed for that) so sometimes they get a little ambitious and it comes back up. Other times, I am not so sure what happens. I have seen my dog get his entire meal down, then I give him like one tiny piece of fruit a half hour later and everything comes back up again. Kind of bizarre.

If it was two hours later though, maybe the stomach had started digesting it and made it a bit unappetizing.

My puppy training is going well so far. He's learned to go to the bathroom when we say OUTSIDE, he knows how to give paw, and he's pretty obedient when we call his name and tell him to come.

The only problem is that he still pees and poos at random times. The nice thing is that he knows to go on the training pads we have set out for him. The chewing is a problem too, but he avoids shoes and we just make sure to have some toys that he can gnaw on.

If it becomes kinda routine, might be the food you're giving her. She might have a sensitive stomach. We had to put ours on a rice and lamb mix because she seemed to hurl every day or two. Not even puke, just bile.

If it was barely digested she probably just ate too fast. It happens.

It came out in a few different large clumps, it had been digested for a decent while...but it sounds like she may have eaten too fast. She seemed OK otherwise, OK today, etc.

We're now at the stage where she can jump on the couch whenever she wants, which is awful because we used to have to bring her up, and better yet, we were able to get her away if she was being annoying by just putting her on the floor. Doesn't work anymore. She also loves walking onto the coffee table regardless of what is on there.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
My puppy training is going well so far. He's learned to go to the bathroom when we say OUTSIDE, he knows how to give paw, and he's pretty obedient when we call his name and tell him to come.

The only problem is that he still pees and poos at random times. The nice thing is that he knows to go on the training pads we have set out for him. The chewing is a problem too, but he avoids shoes and we just make sure to have some toys that he can gnaw on.

For weeks ours would just piss anywhere. Eventually they learn. The one thing shack told me worked, when you clean it up with paper towels, place them on the pads, and don't change the pads often. Eventually she got the idea.

Chewing is awful to deal with, we have 15 toys here but she will always find a table leg or something.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 01:00 AM)
For weeks ours would just piss anywhere. Eventually they learn. The one thing shack told me worked, when you clean it up with paper towels, place them on the pads, and don't change the pads often. Eventually she got the idea.

Chewing is awful to deal with, we have 15 toys here but she will always find a table leg or something.

He doesn't pee anywhere else but the pads now (inside the house) which is good, so there is nothing to clean up as the pads soak it all up. I read somewhere that puppies can't hold piss overnight until their 5 months old anyway, so we have about 6-7 weeks to go.

It's incredibly rewarding to see some of the hours of training paying off. He's a smart pup and it's a ton of fun playing with him. My other dog doesn't do s*** because she's a lazy ass 9 pound piece of crap. :lol:

Here he is...getting big.

AzWjdnuCcAA_YLe.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 01:09 AM)
He doesn't pee anywhere else but the pads now (inside the house) which is good, so there is nothing to clean up as the pads soak it all up. I read somewhere that puppies can't hold piss overnight until their 5 months old anyway, so we have about 6-7 weeks to go.

It's incredibly rewarding to see some of the hours of training paying off. He's a smart pup and it's a ton of fun playing with him. My other dog doesn't do s*** because she's a lazy ass 9 pound piece of crap. :lol:

Here he is...getting big.

AzWjdnuCcAA_YLe.jpg

Forgive me, I'm terrible with dogs -- what breed is that? Or a mix of something?

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 04:21 PM)
Forgive me, I'm terrible with dogs -- what breed is that? Or a mix of something?

We're trying to figure it out ourselves. His mom was a purebred golden retriever. We're waiting to find out from the vet what the dad was. Some sort of mix of awesomeness. This is him today, growing really quick: http://t.co/QEKXwRnL

• 2 months later...

Great people of Soxtalk,

If you could take 5 seconds to "like" this photo, that would be much appreciated. Costume contest for our dog through the vet, and they hand out prizes for the most likes.

Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=101...e=3&theater

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
Great people of Soxtalk,

If you could take 5 seconds to "like" this photo, that would be much appreciated. Costume contest for our dog through the vet, and they hand out prizes for the most likes.

Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=101...e=3&theater

done