2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 07:12 AM)
Question:

Does anybody here bet regularly on NFL games? Are the replacement officials causing you to reduce/eliminate your betting? I heard that over $150M was won/lost on that last play Monday night.

150-250 million shifted

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8422934/...d-150-250m-bets

I read that a gambling site refunded to their bettors. I will tell you this much, if Vegas starts getting pissed you can bet your ass this ref situation gets resolved asap

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 07:11 AM)
Is that a rule change I missed? I know in college the defense can score 2 points on an opponent PAT, but I'm not aware of the defense being able to score on a PAT in the NFL.

No, you are correct. That is a college thing. The only way the defense can score on a PAT in the NFL is by a fumble through the back of the endzone for a 1 pt "safety". It is a stupid rather unknown rule that has never once happened and never will.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

One of the better articles I've seen on the strike.

Replacement refs, NFL both risk game's integrity

By Jim Gray

Published September 26, 2012

| FoxNews.com

advertisement

Monday night in Seattle, in the final moments of a game between the Seahawks and the Green Bay Packers, a controversial call by replacement referees awarded a touchdown to the Seahawks.

After what we saw, I think that many fans all over America are sleepless. Fans are worried and disappointed with the game they love.

I don't blame them.

They deserve better. The fans watch the games, they follow their teams, pay their money, and they don’t like what they are seeing.

Regular referees are involved in a labor dispute with the NFL and are locked out.

There have been a number of controversies surrounding officiating in all sports over the years, and it becomes part of the legend of the game. In the NFL, "the holy roller," "the immaculate reception," and "the tuck rule," are all etched in the minds of football fans. How long of a life Monday night's episode will have remains to be seen. My guess is that this too shall pass.

But the fact of the matter is, it should have never happened. The league said as much Tuesday in their press release which stated offensive pass interference should have been called, therefore ending the game.

The replacement officials on the field are doing their best, but this is not what they do, and they are overmatched by the speed of the game, the voluminous rule book, and lack of experience.

[pullquote]

Monday night was the culmination of a very bad weekend for the replacements who made a number of mistakes, which has lead to considerable frustration and anger from all corners.

There is a lack of respect for the replacements by the players and the coaches who know that they are not up to the task, so they seek to take advantage of the situation. This lack of respect is only making matters worse. The player and coaches who are creating more chaos are the same ones complaining about the lack of policing.

As for the league's position on the lockout, here is the basic summary of their position, as put out Monday in a letter to the teams:

“Game officials on average earned almost $150,000 in 2011. Prior to the start of the lockout, we proposed a 7-year deal that would have increased average game official’s compensation more than 7 percent to just over $161,000 in 2012, and further increase that average to more than $189,000 by 2018. In addition, we have offered a generous defined contribution retirement plan, with average contributions of $16,500 in 2012, increasing to more than $22,300 per game official by 2018. Officials also receive numerous other benefits, including severance equal to one year’s game fees and postseason bonus, a period of guaranteed ‘time off’ from the end of the season through mid-may of each year, first-class air travel, and partial reimbursement for medical insurance for officials who do not have insurance through their other jobs.”

The league sees this as a very fair offer. And with all of the economic problems that our country is suffering with, what is so bad about a $161,000 dollars for part time work which entails only 20 weekends, a little prep time, as well as a pension and benefits? Do you know how many people would love to have this job?

But that’s a large part of the problem. All of the regular officials hold full time jobs, so they can afford to holdout with no sense of urgency as their main pay checks continue to flow. This puts the league in a difficult position, of having to negotiate with a group that is not dependent on the work.

However, as we have seen the last seven weeks, not just anyone is capable of performing these tasks at a high level out on the field. So the officials are valuable. They are missed and they are needed.

But the regular officials need to get realistic and remember they are being very well compensated for a part time job. The officials seem to be saying that, because the league is generating billions and billions of dollars in revenue, they should be sharing in that. And they are.

But the officials are not the game. Not to diminish them, but to be fair, no one has ever paid one penny to go to a game to watch the guys with the yellow flags.

A few days ago I read the NFL players association letter to the NFL owners, which stated that there is, " a deterioration of order, safety, and integrity to the game." While it deals in much rhetoric, the element of integrity is what is most important.

The integrity of the game is sacrosanct. It is the pillar of what makes the games legitimate. That’s why there are so many rules in place that insure that the games are honest and fair. The second that the public thinks the games are not, is the moment that the fascination that people have with the NFL will end.

I also heard DeMaurice Smith, the head of the players union, talking in an interview about how awful things are regarding this lockout. He may be right. He also has the power to do something about it.

Smith is not permitted to call a strike unless he feels that federal law, which allows employees to strike due to "dangerous work conditions," is being broken. The letter the players association sent to the owners says that player safety is a problem. So why doesn’t he order the players to strike, to take a stand, since it is so dangerous and safety is such an issue? Let’s see how many players are willing to stand with their referee brethren and miss a few pay checks.

I imagine that there would be zero support for that, and my guess is at that point, the replacements will do just fine, however flawed they maybe.

It is not as if the regular officials don’t make errors. They do. All the time. And when they return, they will have an even finer microscope on them.

After 15 hours of mediation over the weekend failed to bridge the gap, as well as a session on Monday, perhaps what happened in Seattle will open the eyes on each side that damage is being done to the game we all love.

All concerned should keep one thing in the forefront of their minds: the fans deserve better. Everyone needs to take a step back, and end this self inflicted wound.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/09/26/...t#ixzz27bBiWL00

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 11:15 AM)
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

As @mortreport is reporting, an agreement between NFL and NFLRA is at hand and both sides will work to have officials working this weekend.

this weekend, or tomorrow?

that would suck for cleveland and baltimore to have the replacements and the rest fo the league get the regulars

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 12:50 PM)
this weekend, or tomorrow?

that would suck for cleveland and baltimore to have the replacements and the rest fo the league get the regulars

I would sure hope that the league would go with all regular refs or all replacement refs so as not to screw over the Browns and Ravens, but with the way the NFL is being run nowadays who knows.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 08:50 AM)
Yea, the travesty that happened monday night would never happen on Ed Hochuli's watch. PI's, False Starts will be missed, but game winning blown calls will not happen

Plus Ed Hochuli gets to flex his muscles.

Actually didn't Hochuli blow a call a couple years ago that may have cost a team a game?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 08:50 AM)
Yea, the travesty that happened monday night would never happen on Ed Hochuli's watch. PI's, False Starts will be missed, but game winning blown calls will not happen

The regular refs would have taken a second to conference and discuss the play to make sure they saw the same thing. Instead of nodding at each other and making different calls.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 08:56 AM)

Actually didn't Hochuli blow a call a couple years ago that may have cost a team a game?

Yup, and it involved Chicago's favorite quarterback. Although I believe they have since changed the rules so that this type of play could be reversed.

The crucial call occurred with the Broncos at the Chargers' 1-yard-line in the final minute. Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler dropped back to pass, the ball slipped out of his hands, bounced off the grass and into the arms of Chargers linebacker Tim Dobbins.

Hochuli, a former NFLRA president, ruled it an incomplete pass. Replay ruled it a fumble, but it was spotted at the 10, where the ball hit the ground, and given to Denver because the rules did not permit possession to be awarded to San Diego because the whistle had blown.

Denver went on to score a touchdown and a 2-point conversion to win 39-38.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 08:56 AM)

Hochuli has blown many calls. But nothing quite like that

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 12:33 AM)
Reporting that the Thursday game will have regular refs now.

Now we can continue to rip the league when bad calls are made because they didn't give the refs adequate time to "warm up" or something

Actually, this is a concern of mine. We always have exhibition games and scrimmages before the season so we, as a ref crew, can work on our mechanics and shake off the rust. Just like the players need that time to get back in game-mode, refs do too. It's going to be tough for the ref crew to jump in cold-turkey tonight when they haven't been working any games. I expect we see a few more missed calls than usual. But, they'll also huddle up on important/close plays and make sure they get the correct call.

Golden Tate admits he pushed off

You know what, I dont even care about this. I dont think he is a cheater because they were rewarded the touchdown. He did what wide recievers do in every game and it didnt get called. The refs missed it, it doesnt make him a cheater, he just benefitted from the refs being morons.

What do people expect him to do after the game? Admit he pushed off and go and tell the officials and have them reverse the call? GMAB, this isnt that catholic commercial where the kid is playing basketball and admits he knocked the ball out of bounds. He did what every other player in the league would do, "what? me? push off? NEVER"

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 12:03 PM)

You know what, I dont even care about this. I dont think he is a cheater because they were rewarded the touchdown. He did what wide recievers do in every game and it didnt get called. The refs missed it, it doesnt make him a cheater, he just benefitted from the refs being morons.

What do people expect him to do after the game? Admit he pushed off and go and tell the officials and have them reverse the call? GMAB, this isnt that catholic commercial where the kid is playing basketball and admits he knocked the ball out of bounds. He did what every other player in the league would do, "what? me? push off? NEVER"

Any player would have said what he said. Golden Tate isn't the bad guy in this.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 12:03 PM)

Cheating? There are really some stupid fans out there if they want to call Tate "a cheater".