2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 07:03 PM)
No one is doubting the Bears offense sucks. That isn't the point. Peterson and their offense didn't do that to the Bears the two times they played us.

That's cause the Bears D is better than GB. The point is that the Vikings beat the Packers when it came to down to it, something the Bears were never close to doing. Season over.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 07:09 PM)
The oline does suck, but this roster has talent. Defensively loaded and you have playmakers on offense.

And the defense didn't disappoint. That is Lovie's speciality. They were offensively challenged even with playmakers because they have blown off the OL for years.the problem is, when they finally get around to fixing the line, their defense is going to be living in retirement communities.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 08:13 PM)
You like Lovie as coach and I do not..............NFL is a results league and Lovie's results overall not so good. Lovie If he stays next year, Offense will be in bottom 5 again as always under a Lovie coached team and we are having this conversation again next year!

I like Lovie as a coach, but I cannot support bringing him back. He'll get another job next year or the year after, but his time with the Bears should be up.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 08:15 PM)
And the defense didn't disappoint. That is Lovie's speciality. They were offensively challenged even with playmakers because they have blown off the OL for years.the problem is, when they finally get around to fixing the line, their defense is going to be living in retirement communities.

The other problem is...if you gave the Bears O-line 2 straight #1 O-line picks, they wouldn't be able to coach them into anything useful.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 07:09 PM)
So you think a better coach would have faired better even with a roster that isn't as good? If the Bears had as nice of a roster as the Packers the past 3 years, I would agree, but they haven't. Changing coaches won't change the results. Look how happy everyone was when Tice became OC. Now he is a dope. If the Bears don't address their OL, they will be lucky to go 10-6 in 2013 no matter who is coaching them.

I'm with you that Lovie is a good coach and has done decently with the roster give to him. That being said, I still think he should be gone. Sometimes you need to change it up in the locker room, and you have a new GM who may want to incoporate a new system defensively, which will give him more leeway in the draft and free agency.

Andy Reid went to 5 NFC Champ. games. Is he suddenly a bad coach? No, but it is still time for Philly to get rid of him. Same thing with Lovie IMO.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 07:16 PM)
I like Lovie as a coach, but I cannot support bringing him back. He'll get another job next year or the year after, but his time with the Bears should be up.

I ageee...I like Lovie but we need HC that knows what an offense looks like.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 05:15 PM)

You a probably right. Problem is, Lovie had a lot of say in personell matters so you can't really just say that was Angelo being Angelo. Angelo lost a lot of power when the Bears made the superbowl.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 07:17 PM)
The other problem is...if you gave the Bears O-line 2 straight #1 O-line picks, they wouldn't be able to coach them into anything useful.

You have to select the correct players. The Bears have developed several players,just not offensive linemen.,

I believe the Bears are the 13th team not to make the playoffs with a 10-6 record. How many seasons have they been playing 16 games? Around 30 I would guess.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 08:20 PM)
You have to select the correct players. The Bears have developed several players,just not offensive linemen.,

I believe the Bears are the 13th team not to make the playoffs with a 10-6 record. How many seasons have they been playing 16 games? Around 30 I would guess.

Prior to this year, 61 teams had started 7-1. 58 had made the playoffs. The bears are the 4th team to start 7-1 and miss the playoffs, and the first in ~17 years.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 07:19 PM)
You a probably right. Problem is, Lovie had a lot of say in personell matters so you can't really just say that was Angelo being Angelo. Angelo lost a lot of power when the Bears made the superbowl.

Lovie might have had imput with free agents, but the draft considering he does zero scouting, I would be shocked if he has much say.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 05:22 PM)
Lovie might have had imput with free agents, but the draft considering he does zero scouting, I would be shocked if he has much say.

I think he has a lot more say then you would think. At least that is what the rumblings had indicated. I have no source though so no idea. Lovie did a lot of stuff at the combine, etc. That isn't taking things away from Angelo though, however, I always liked Angelo a lot and I'm not ready to say the new guy we have as GM is all that good. He ignored the oline too. Sure he acquired Marshall but that was a no-brainer.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 07:26 PM)
The Bears have never hired a head coach with previous NFL head coaching experience. If Lovie goes, there is a decent chance Wanne II is hired. At least Bears fans will be happy until September.

Good point. Despite the new GM, the McCaskeys are still the owners. They paid Lovie to keep him, but they have never paid big money for a new coach.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 07:26 PM)
The Bears have never hired a head coach with previous NFL head coaching experience. If Lovie goes, there is a decent chance Wanne II is hired. At least Bears fans will be happy until September.

This. Lovie's recent performance makes a firing logical. However, it could be a colossal mistake if we don't bring in an established guy. This is an aging, talented roster. We need to start winning yesterday.

I'm having trouble visualizing a 10-6 head coach getting axed...usually they wait for you to have a s***tier year than that and then axe you.

Anyone remember the last 10-6 head coach to get fired?

I honestly wouldn't mind keeping him, if you hired a very, very strong-willed OC, but I just can't see that happening.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 08:53 PM)
Like...Mike Martz?

Yeah, was waiting for that...

Honestly, I feel like Martz would have worked out here if it weren't for the OLine being so goddamned awful.

Jake had a point though...outside of Andy Reid, who could they bring in that you'd really feel much better about? Everyone has heard me begging for Chip Kelly, but I think most people would have more questions about him than Lovie.

What if we just replaced Tice with Norv Turner?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 09:11 PM)
Yeah, was waiting for that...

Honestly, I feel like Martz would have worked out here if it weren't for the OLine being so goddamned awful.

Jake had a point though...outside of Andy Reid, who could they bring in that you'd really feel much better about? Everyone has heard me begging for Chip Kelly, but I think most people would have more questions about him than Lovie.

What if we just replaced Tice with Norv Turner?

If Norv Turner is coming to Chicago...

I'd be content with Lovie Smith having another year as HC.