2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 08:03 AM)
There's nothing wrong with his strategy. In fact, there are plenty of coaches who would have thought the same. You burn the timeout there and the 9ers either score before the 2 minute warning, or they're stopped before the 2 minute warning. Either way, you are pretty much guaranteed to at least have 1 2 minute drive to march down the field and do whatever it is you need to do.

Of course, they didn't need that strategy because Frisco didn't convert the 2pt conversion.

BTW, I'm glad Ray Lewis won on his way out. If nothing else, it makes most of Soxtalk mad.

You've got to force them to get closer than the 7 or 5 or wherever they were before you start conceding touchdowns and worrying about the clock. You can always call a timeout after their first play after the two-minute warning and then again on the next play. It was a goal-to-go situation and the Ravens had timeouts to burn. No need to call the timeout with 2:30 left and screw yourself if the Niners don't score but then can benefit by getting the ball back.

I really don't think many coaches at all would have considered calling a timeout there.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 11:11 AM)
I bet Tha U fans were pretty salty about that non-PI call last night. It was almost the exact same contact/hold as the one in 2003

Cris Carter made a pretty good point this morning...as a receiver, you've got to get outside the defender a bit on that play so that it is clear he is sort of pulling you back into his space or trying to prevent you from occupying another space...but if you just run into the defender's space, shoulder to shoulder with him, a lot of times (especially in crucial situations), the ref is going to let that one go, because the two players sort of just ran in and occupied the same space together (assuming the defender doesn't just totally jack him beyond the 5 yards).

Also that throw from Kaepernick was awful. He puts that ball in the endzone and not out of bounds they probably would have called the hold.

Kaepernick was 0-4 throwing ball in the end zone yesterday and 1-8 in the playoffs.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 10:24 AM)
Also that throw from Kaepernick was awful. He puts that ball in the endzone and not out of bounds they probably would have called the hold.

Kaepernick was 0-4 throwing ball in the end zone yesterday and 1-8 in the playoffs.

I still think he should have been running it in.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 10:24 AM)

They probably should have went with Alex Smith in the red zone or at least Bill Cowher thinks so.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)

Not many qb's tend to nail the fade route with a linebacker getting a clear path at them. That happened both during the 2pt conversion and 4th down where the line failed picking up the blitz.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 11:36 AM)
They probably should have went with Alex Smith in the red zone or at least Bill Cowher thinks so.

I was thinking about this a bit earlier...I don't think I'd have made that kind of switch, but I think we really got to see the downside of having a QB starting his 10th game in the Super Bowl there.

Just those subtle rookie things. Joe Flacco couldn't make that kind of back shoulder throw even last year, they talked about that during the broadcasT. That's a tough throw for anyone to make...but the rookie QB situation made it even tougher.

The Ravens showed blitz early on that play. I can't remember the playclock, but if it wasn't running down, a veteran QB would have seen that and adjusted either the protection or audibled to something with a hot read. If they were out of playclock...that's a consequence of having a rookie QB too.

They blew 2 TO's in the 2nd half...in part on the rookie QB, including the one in the red zone.

That's the downside of having a QB in his 10th game.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 01:58 PM)
Option is harder to use as the field condenses. That being said, I think that the 49ers would have been better served trying a roll out with a run/pass option for Kap.

That's true of any offense actually. The penalty was big in that it almost eliminated the running threat so there was no constraint of the blitz. Otherwise an inverted veer or counter would have been a nice option call.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 02:58 PM)
Option is harder to use as the field condenses. That being said, I think that the 49ers would have been better served trying a roll out with a run/pass option for Kap.

I think it was on that same drive, but I definitely remember them trying a rollout late in the game and having Kaep throw the ball away because nothing was available.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)
I think it was on that same drive, but I definitely remember them trying a rollout late in the game and having Kaep throw the ball away because nothing was available.

They did this on the first play coming out of the two minute warning...he rolled to his right and threw a pass towards the front-right corner of the end zone...probably could have run it and reached the 2 or so, but went for the difficult pass instead.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
That's true of any offense actually. The penalty was big in that it almost eliminated the running threat so there was no constraint of the blitz. Otherwise an inverted veer or counter would have been a nice option call.

True, it just seems option stalls more close, part of the reason why Meyer would go to the Tebow jump pass move.

I still think a run/pass roll option is a tough one. Try and get a lb on a fb/te in the flat having to make a decision on which play to commit to.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)

Yeah they it failed 1 time. I just thought when Wisconsin had Wilson that the pass/option inside the 10 was pretty devastating as it usually gets a lb isoed in space.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 04:00 PM)
True, it just seems option stalls more close, part of the reason why Meyer would go to the Tebow jump pass move.

I still think a run/pass roll option is a tough one. Try and get a lb on a fb/te in the flat having to make a decision on which play to commit to.

Yeah they it failed 1 time. I just thought when Wisconsin had Wilson that the pass/option inside the 10 was pretty devastating as it usually gets a lb isoed in space.

Away from the blitz would have been really effective.