2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (daa84 @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 11:43 PM)
There's an enormous amount of observational bias in this as well. We know the refs are replacements, thus missed calls seem that much more obvious. What is most likely true is that we fail to realize how many calls the normal refs miss, and also tend to overreact/over estimate the number that the replacements are making

That said, there is still an obvious difference

The real refs actually know the NFL rules and are used to calling NFL games so while they may miss a hold or get a pass interference call wrong you don't see the constant blatantly missed calls that are impacting games right now.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's an enormous amount of observational bias in this as well. We know the refs are replacements, thus missed calls seem that much more obvious. What is most likely true is that we fail to realize how many calls the normal refs miss, and also tend to overreact/over estimate the number that the replacements are making

Completely agree. Its also confidence. These refs dont have it, so everything is more questioned. Real refs just make the call and stick with it, even when they are wrong.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 10:30 PM)
Im note sure I see the humor in that comment. These guys are doing the best that they can, its not their fault. This is squarely on the NFL.

Yeah, I honestly just feel bad for these refs. They were in no way prepared for this. Many of them are used to doing NAIA games in front of 100 person crowds. Being a NCAA Lacrosse referee myself, I know how difficult it is to referee a game in any sport. So I tend to have more sympathy for refs than most people. But, I also know that these guys made numerous, critical mistakes and the players/coaches/fans/etc. deserve better.

Regular refs makes plenty of their own bad calls, but they understand the basic rules of the games. They don't give extra timeouts and challenges left and right, they don't put the ball on the wrong 44 yard line, they don't take 7-10 minutes to make a relatively simple call. We've had three solid weeks of refs not knowing the rules and blowing major calls in multiple games now, all so that the teams can save about $100,000 a year.