Rumor? - Cubs deny consider playing at the Cell for 2013

chisoxfan09

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 03:26 PM)
This will be embarrassing for the Cubs.

They will not draw squat in the Cell.

I respectfully disagree. I definitely think the Cubs could draw reasonably well at the Cell, and the problem with that is that if they were to outdraw the Sox in the Sox' own home, that's just the kind of negative publicity hit the Sox don't need. It would only add to the age-old story of White Sox attendance problems, and really call into question the allegiance of the Sox' fan base. I don't think any of us nor the Sox organization needs that kind of headache.

the comments on the article's page are all cubbie mouth breathers saying how they want to trash sox park.

also, i suspect that the cubs wouldnt play ALL 81 games at the cell if they were to be without wrigley for a season. i could see them booking a few "home games" in STL or MIL against the cards and brewers. Like it was mentioned earlier in the thread, bossard would need a few days here and there to work his magic on the field.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)
I respectfully disagree. I definitely think the Cubs could draw reasonably well at the Cell, and the problem with that is that if they were to outdraw the Sox in the Sox' own home, that's just the kind of negative publicity hit the Sox don't need. It would only add to the age-old story of White Sox attendance problems, and really call into question the allegiance of the Sox' fan base. I don't think any of us nor the Sox organization needs that kind of headache.

it depends if ricketts give his season ticket holders "holiday" from thier commitment. the bears allowed their season ticket base a year off when they played in champaign, while selling season ticket plans for the champaign season only. In fact, illini students were allowed to buy DISCOUNTED st plans that season.

if ricketts dosent force his ST holders to buy in on a season at the cell, then the PAID attendance will suck. but with a waiting list 10k strong, i think he will make them buy in.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
it depends if ricketts give his season ticket holders "holiday" from thier commitment. the bears allowed their season ticket base a year off when they played in champaign, while selling season ticket plans for the champaign season only. In fact, illini students were allowed to buy DISCOUNTED st plans that season.

if ricketts dosent force his ST holders to buy in on a season at the cell, then the PAID attendance will suck. but with a waiting list 10k strong, i think he will make them buy in.

Bears season tickets at $20/game, living 3 blocks away from the stadium. :headbang

Too bad Leon Johnson fumbled away that Saints game and the season went to s***

I think the idea of the Cubs playing at the Cell only has legs if they decide to have mercy on that dump on the north side and gut it completely. Can't see them playing at the Cell if they only renovate it in chunks. Anyway it will be interesting to see/hear the building owner's responses hen they are told no income for a year. That will be worth the wait.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
This will be embarrassing for the Cubs.

They will not draw squat in the Cell.

I disagree. I think they would draw decent crowds, and the difference would be that there might be a higher ratio of real baseball fans to people just there to be there.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 11:54 AM)
However, there is some risk. I know that it hard to imagine but what if the Cubs have a miracle season that year and make the playoffs. Do we really want Cubs playoff games at the Cell? That would make me sick.

If I was guaranteed that the Cubs would be in last place that year and lose the majority of their games at the Cell...and we make money off of it..then I am 'All In'.

I don't know, I think it would be kind of funny if the Cubs broke the curse at the Cell, not at Wrigley. They have this moment they have been waiting 100+ years for, and it happens at the Cell. If the Sox hadn't won in '05, then it would bother me, but otherwise it be amusing IMO.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 05:08 PM)
I don't know, I think it would be kind of funny if the Cubs broke the curse at the Cell, not at Wrigley. They have this moment they have been waiting 100+ years for, and it happens at the Cell. If the Sox hadn't won in '05, then it would bother me, but otherwise it be amusing IMO.

Yeah, that would be pretty awesome.

I've always said I honestly have no problems with the Cubs winning the World Series (besides the obvious fact that it means the White Sox didn't), I would just make sure I wasn't in Chicago for the entire following year or I'd kill half their fans.

It is making me think. It could be an interesting scenario. Maybe could schedule 2 games on some days, cuBS in the afternoon, White Sox at night. Would make it easy to see a baseball double feature.

Maybe they could offer White Sox season ticket holders some extra tickets at a discount. Would give White Sox fans a chance to see more National League teams and cheer against the cuBS at the same time. The Marlins coming into US Cell would be cool to watch. Cheer on Ozzie. Make Buehrle would get a start here.

Still I don't want to see a good cuBS team that year. They would have to suck to make it work for me. The worse their home record that year the sweeter it would be to watch. Ideally they would go like 30-51 at home.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 06:21 PM)
It is making me think. It could be an interesting scenario. Maybe could schedule 2 games on some days, cuBS in the afternoon, White Sox at night. Would make it easy to see a baseball double feature.

Maybe they could offer White Sox season ticket holders some extra tickets at a discount. Would give White Sox fans a chance to see more National League teams and cheer against the cuBS at the same time. The Marlins coming into US Cell would be cool to watch. Cheer on Ozzie. Make Buehrle would get a start here.

Still I don't want to see a good cuBS team that year. They would have to suck to make it work for me. The worse their home record that year the sweeter it would be to watch. Ideally they would go like 30-51 at home.

The 6 home games against the Cubs would be nice.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 06:32 PM)
The 6 home games against the Cubs would be nice.

Yes that would be true. But we would bat first in three of those games. That would kinda annoy me.

We would have a bring your goat to the ballpark game as well. Creative minds could come up with some interesting stuff.

Maybe honor all of the players/coaches/others that have been with the White Sox and the Cubs. Like Harry Caray, Sammy Sosa, Jorge Bell, Dave Martinez, Ron Santos, Scott Fletcher, DJ, Lance Johnson, Juan Pierre, Will Ohman, Steve Stone, Neal Cotts

QUOTE (YASNY @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)
A small minority of idiots? Remember, you are talking about Cub fans.

They would probably lose out on the annual wrigley trip goes from within the region, the birthday parites, corporate parties, tourist stop overs, and all those types of fans but im sure they would manage to sell 30K+ tickets per game. The thought of seeing the cubs play games of the south side is a novelty in intself, and something we all know their fanbase is famous for, they should be able to draw based on that principle as well.

QUOTE (SmashROT @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 08:20 PM)
Has any major league club played regular season games at a minor league stadium in recent memory? Anybody know?

Didnt the Expos play some portion of their schedule at that stadium in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Thats a sort of minor league stadium.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 09:32 PM)
the a's started thier 1996 season in las vegas. thanks to rennovations to accomdate the raiders

Thanks ewok. It's tricky with baseball. There aren't many parks out there to even remotely match major league capacity. Can anyone honestly see the Cubs playing in Shaumburg or Kane County? I can't.