2012 MLB draft talk

DirtySox

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ May 24, 2012 -> 05:36 PM)
2010 and 2011 were expected to be rocky, but this season they were supposed to take a step forward. Every starter is either a Junior or Senior, and it just hasn't come together like they thought it could have (losing their Friday night starter Eric Anderson before conference season didn't help either). Longtime coach Tim Jamieson is on the hottest of hotseats as the Tigers are going to transition to the tough SEC...and things don't look any better next season. Losing the majority of their starters. If Junior pitcher Rob Zastryzny comes back for a senior season that would really help.

That being said, 2001-2009 was quite fun. Never made it to Omaha, but watching guys like Ian Kinsler, Max Scherzer, Aaron Crow, Kyle Gibson and even Nick Tepesch (pitched a no hitter for Rangers affiliate last week) was a pleasure.

Watching most of them wind up in the AL Central...not so fun (Gibson-Twins organization, Crow-Royals, Scherzer-Detroit)...

Also, Jeff Soptic was recruited for Mizzou but signed with the Pale Hose instead. That would have been some arm for them.

http://simmonsfield.blogspot.com/2011/06/2...soptic-rhp.html

(from my AAP :) )

Edited by OilCan

QUOTE (OilCan @ May 25, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)
Also, Jeff Soptic was recruited for Mizzou but signed with the Pale Hose instead. That would have been some arm for them.

http://simmonsfield.blogspot.com/2011/06/2...soptic-rhp.html

(from my AAP :) )

That blogger and I frequent most all Missouri home games...one of about 15 diehards that follow the team year in and year out.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ May 26, 2012 -> 07:01 AM)
The only player I keep on hearing that the Sox are possibly going to take that I don't want them to draft is Michael Wacha. He has the smallest upside of all the pitchers they are rumored to be drafting: I perfer Straton, Stroman, Smora in that order.

I'm not sold on Wacha either. I'd be fine with any of Heaney, Stratton, Smoral, or Stroman though.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 24, 2012 -> 07:12 PM)
I'm pretty sure he's gone unless they magically win the Big 12 tourney this year. So I've heard at least.

There's your magic. Missouri is Big12 Tournament champions. I think TJ gets to finish off his contract...

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ May 28, 2012 -> 08:54 PM)
Not sure about another high school pitcher after the Jason Stumm and Kris Honel experiments.

I've read from Jon Sickel's blog that the bigger upside is from the HS Pitcher route this year. Plus, the last one was Honel back in 2001.

This might be the right draft to get a HS pitcher with your first (or Sandwich) pick.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ May 30, 2012 -> 01:12 PM)
Keith Law Updated 2.0 Draft

Having the Sox take Smoral. Like the upside on this pick-Big Lefty

Want. Keeping my fingers crossed. He probably would be going much higher if it weren't for the foot injury. Could end up being a steal wherever he goes.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 30, 2012 -> 08:31 PM)
Wonder if there's any chance Giolito falls to the Sox because of his injury.

A high school pitcher and a guy with arm issues = no chance Sox invest in that guy, in my opinion based on Kenny/Hawk and Stoney's comments in the past.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ May 30, 2012 -> 01:12 PM)
Keith Law Updated 2.0 Draft

Having the Sox take Smoral. Like the upside on this pick-Big Lefty

Shades of Aaron Poreda, it seems to me. Not always a fan of taking pitchers that you have to really teach a third pitch. 90-94 mph isn't anything too stunning, especially since he's fairly heavy for a young guy at that height. Missing the chance to show off his changeup and prove its there with that foot injury would scare me away.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 30, 2012 -> 08:52 PM)
Shades of Aaron Poreda, it seems to me. Not always a fan of taking pitchers that you have to really teach a third pitch. 90-94 mph isn't anything too stunning, especially since he's fairly heavy for a young guy at that height. Missing the chance to show off his changeup and prove its there with that foot injury would scare me away.

I tend to agree. Most of what I read about him doesn't impress me, but I haven't read up on the draft yet.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 31, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
Does anyone know if the new rules and slotting will get players signed and playing sooner? Is that August 15th deadline still in play?

I seem to recall they made the signing period shorter, but I don't remember the new date.