2012 MLB draft talk

DirtySox

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shades of Aaron Poreda, it seems to me. Not always a fan of taking pitchers that you have to really teach a third pitch. 90-94 mph isn't anything too stunning, especially since he's fairly heavy for a young guy at that height. Missing the chance to show off his changeup and prove its there with that foot injury would scare me away.

I just can't believe at some point early in 2009 or 2010 I posted an article that described Poreda's upside similar to the Big Unit if he could develop that nasty slider and get more mileage on the FB. How the hell I convinced myself to post that comparison is beyond me now. SMH SMH

Here it is: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/21338-c...er-aaron-poreda

Edited by SpainSOXfan09

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ May 31, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)
I just can't believe at some point early in 2009 or 2010 I posted an article that described Poreda's upside similar to the Big Unit if he could develop that nasty slider and get more mileage on the FB. How the hell I convinced myself to post that comparison is beyond me now. SMH SMH

Here it is: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/21338-c...er-aaron-poreda

Because virtually any lefty with a real good fastball can have Johnson's upside if they develop a serious 2nd pitch, good control, and stay healthy.

Marc Hulet posted a pseudo-mock today on FanGraphs, although it's just based on what he thinks the teams SHOULD do, not what he thinks they WILL do.

Anyway, he had the White Sox down for this guy:

13. Chicago White Sox: Andrew Heaney, LHP, Oklahoma State U – Heaney is a strike-throwing southpaw with outstanding command of his three pitches: an 88-93 mph fastball, curveball and changeup. He should move quickly through the minor leagues.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/f...aft-selections/

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 31, 2012 -> 01:48 PM)
Sounds like a White Sox pick, or at least of a few years ago, but that short summary doesn't thrill me.

That's what I was thinking too -- they have tended toward guys that are close to major league ready lately.

With it being a thin college draft, I hope they take a riskier high school guy. But I doubt we'll be able to get worked up over this draft one way or the other.

I just hope the crapshoot aspect of the draft goes in the Sox favor.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 31, 2012 -> 03:22 PM)
I'm really not a big believer in taking high school pitchers. I think a high school position player would be fine, but I tend to prefer the college players overall.

Obviously most GM's have moved to the realm where they agree with you unless a superior HS talent is available...which is of course the motivation for going HS, if a superior HS talent is available at your pick.

from mlb.com today

13. Chicago White Sox: Chris Stratton, RHP, Mississippi State

The White Sox might have an interest in a high school bat like that of Hawkins, but they tend to go for college pitching early. Stratton figures to be the best one still on the board and they scouted him closely down the stretch.

10. Colorado Rockies: Courtney Hawkins, OF, Carroll HS (Texas)

The Rockies would look at the college pitchers above as well as high school hitters like David Dahl and Gavin Cecchini, to go along with this week's choice, Hawkins. College pitchers still around, like Michael Wacha or Stratton, could also come into play.

Seems like every draft has 2-3 of those raw high school guys (Hawkins), the closest thing to high risk/high reward you get in the draft.

All things considered, though, I'd feel pretty comfortable taking Hawkins because other than Mitchell, we don't have any outfielders that are on track. Thompson has been backsliding a bit as a prospect this season.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 31, 2012 -> 09:08 PM)
Any predictions for who the Sox take from members of this board? I'm still going with Wacha in 1st round, Renda supplemental and J. Barrett in 2nd round

I like Chris Stratton, RHP, Mississippi State.

Perfect Game

A large contingent of high-level scouts took in the Stratton-Gausman showdown, in what was Stratton’s first start of the season after four relief appearances, and many came away talking him up as a legitimate first-rounder. His fastball was a steady 92-94 mph, peaking at 95, but the difference-maker in his dominant showing was a nasty swing-and-miss slider that Stratton has added to his repertoire and was his primary strikeout pitch. He threw the pitch consistently from 85-87 mph. Stratton has also resorted this spring more to a two-seam fastball vs. a four-seamer, and has responded by going 7-0, 2.98 with 78 strikeouts in 57 innings. He has walked 16 while allowing 45 hits.

Stratton has always had a good feel for pitching and adapted well in the fall to changes in his style and approach to his craft. Not only did he add a deadly slider to his mix and resort to getting more movement on his fastball by emphasizing a two-seamer, but he also changed his delivery when working from the stretch. The payoff has been quite dramatic, and has already elevated Stratton from a potential third- to fourth-rounder at the start of the 2012 season to a potential first-rounder. The addition of a slider not only provides him a second dominant pitch, but essentially has solidified his case to be a starter down the road as he now has four solid pitches for the role, including a curve and changeup as his No. 3 and 4 pitches. He uses his changeup, an 83-mph offering, mainly to counteract lefthanded hitters. At 6-foot-3 and 200 pounds, Stratton has an ideal pitcher’s frame. He also has a quick arm and a very easy, clean delivery that he repeats consistently. If anything, he just needs to work on the command of his fastball.

Coast2Coast

Stratton is a likely first round talent that has thrived at Mississippi State this year as the Friday night starter. His fastball sits in the low-to-mid 90s and a Baseball America report had it sitting 94-95 in the first inning against Florida this year. He complements the fastball with a slider in the 82-84 range that, while inconsistent, shows flashes of late life and good break. He also throws a curveball with a similar plane and a change-up, both of which don't grade out as anything more than average.

Initially used out of the bullpen, Stratton made the move to the rotation early in the year and has thrived. He's sporting a 10-1 record so far this year for the Bulldogs and he has put up great all-around statistics. Stratton has shown great command of his pitches and sports a 115/19 K:BB ratio in 95.2 innings this year. His overall ERA of 2.16 is stellar and opponents are hitting a minuscule .210 off of him. While Stratton isn't considered to be in the same tier as fellow college righties Kevin Gausman, Mark Appel and Kyle Zimmer, he is certainly one of the leaders of the second tier of college starters and should hear his name called near the back end of the 1st round.

MLB Comparison: Zack Greinke

Projected Draft Position: Late 1st Round

Jim Callis of Baseball America was just on the score and was ripping apart the White Sox organization specifically Reinsdorf about his spending habits on the draft-shocker. He still believes the White Sox are going cheap and not come close to spending the allotted money ($5.9 million) on the first 10 rounds. If this is true-Reinsdorf needs to be blasted and give an explanation to his fans. The new collective bargaining agreement towards the Draft was pushed mostly by Reinsdorf and we should now take advantage of the system and spend the allotted money given to the White Sox.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 31, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
Marc Hulet posted a pseudo-mock today on FanGraphs, although it's just based on what he thinks the teams SHOULD do, not what he thinks they WILL do.

Anyway, he had the White Sox down for this guy:

13. Chicago White Sox: Andrew Heaney, LHP, Oklahoma State U – Heaney is a strike-throwing southpaw with outstanding command of his three pitches: an 88-93 mph fastball, curveball and changeup. He should move quickly through the minor leagues.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/f...aft-selections/

Sound like Aaron Poreda.................I hope they go for the highest premium athlete on the board for some reason..........

Keith Law Mock 3.0

White Sox picking Andrew Heaney, LHP, Oklahoma State. Limited upside and small frame scares me 6-2/175. Do like the fact that he's a lefty-close to a finish product and will move up the system quickly. This sounds like a typical White Sox pick. We have no Lefties in the system other Snodgress who has some starting potential. Rather have Smoral, Stratton, Addison Russell, Hawkins. Fried stock is dropping-You never know could be lucky and fall down to lucky #13 just like Sale.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 12:34 PM)
Keith Law Mock 3.0

White Sox picking Andrew Heaney, LHP, Oklahoma State. Limited upside and small frame scares me 6-2/175. Do like the fact that he's a lefty-close to a finish product and will move up the system quickly. This sounds like a typical White Sox pick. We have no Lefties in the system other Snodgress who has some starting potential. Rather have Smoral, Stratton, Addison Russell, Hawkins. Fried stock is dropping-You never know could be lucky and fall down to lucky #13 just like Sale.

Quintana, Santiago and Pedro Hernandez don't count?

We already have Sale and Danks. I wouldn't say ANOTHER lefty is the highest priority in the world at the moment.

Edited by caulfield12

Quintana and Santiago are on the major league roster. Pedro Hernandez isn't a starter eventhough he's starting in Double A. He will definitely be a reliever if he ever makes it to the big leagues. How many 5-10 Starting pitchers do you see in the majors. Yes, I know Greg Hibbard had a nice little run 20+ years ago. How long do you trust Sale's arm holding up? I'm still very worried that's a surgery waiting to happen.

Edited by PolishPrince34

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 06:51 PM)
Not buying Heaney to the Sox. If this draft was was in 2007, maybe, but nothing over the past three years has indicated that the Sox will take the "safe" pitcher in the first round.

Especially another lefty. I watched some youtube videos of him and Wacha yesterday, and there was nothing overly impressive. Wacha seemed to throw a ton of high pitches in the game against CSF that was taped.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 07:38 AM)
Jim Callis of Baseball America was just on the score and was ripping apart the White Sox organization specifically Reinsdorf about his spending habits on the draft-shocker. He still believes the White Sox are going cheap and not come close to spending the allotted money ($5.9 million) on the first 10 rounds. If this is true-Reinsdorf needs to be blasted and give an explanation to his fans. The new collective bargaining agreement towards the Draft was pushed mostly by Reinsdorf and we should now take advantage of the system and spend the allotted money given to the White Sox.

I'm not sure if blasting this concept alone is the way to go. If you blast this than you cannot complain about a decrease in the MLB payroll. JR's philosophy is pretty evident with KW and wanting to win now. To do this the minors suffers and they tend to use assets to get proven MLB players instead of waiting for prospects of which most don't pan out. It's a philosophical difference. You can't complain about the MLB and blast them for not spending in the draft.

This applies to the way it was previously. Now with the new standards of enforced slotting there is no reason not to spend near 6 million in the draft. 1-2 million will not make a difference at the MLB level. People point out the low amount the Sox spent last year but they didn't have the first round or most expensive pick. It will be interesting to see how much they spend this year.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
Quintana and Santiago are on the major league roster. Pedro Hernandez isn't a starter eventhough he's starting in Double A. He will definitely be a reliever if he ever makes it to the big leagues. How many 5-10 Starting pitchers do you see in the majors. Yes, I know Greg Hibbard had a nice little run 20+ years ago. How long do you trust Sale's arm holding up? I'm still very worried that's a surgery waiting to happen.

Gio Gonzalez

Yes- he plays for the Washington Nationals. Gio is 5-11, but has a plus fastball and one of the best curves in the game. He was also highly ranked supplemental 1st round pick. Pedro Hernandez doesn't have a plus pitch in his arsenal. Yes you can also bring up Pedro Martinez and Teddy Higuera, but those guys had freaky stuff or an out pitch/screwball. Look what's happening to Marcus Stroman because he's 5-9. No teams are considering him as a Starting Pitcher and his stock is dropping. He probably has some of the nastiest stuff, but will be reliever at the major league level. Not too many pitchers come to your head that had long careers with a short stature. Unless you google it.

Edited by PolishPrince34