2012 MLB draft talk

DirtySox

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 09:49 PM)
There aren't? I'm happy to be the guy's biggest fan if he becomes a White Sox, but at this point he seems to have nothing on Aaron Poreda other than age. I just want someone to tell me the part I'm missing, my research on the kid consists of about 45 minutes of reading/watching

Aaron Poreda had one pitch, that was it. His slider was crap at San Francisco.

Lefties that throw 90-94 and have one offspeed pitch don't last more than two or three rounds. They are precious, precious commodities.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 09:51 PM)
Aaron Poreda was a college lefty with a big sinking fastball. He threw in the upper 90's too and as a result was picked early in the draft. No comparison between Poreda and Smoral though. A lot of comps out there on CC or Johnson but that is more because of his size at this point. And you are greatly mistaken. There aren't many prep lefties that have this kids arm and potential (hence why he's a top 50 pick).

If Smoral throws in the upper 90s, that changes everything.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 07:53 PM)
If Smoral throws in the upper 90s, that changes everything.

Pitching in the low to mid 90's in high school as a lefty is huge. I'm not saying Smoral is a guarantee can't miss talent, but he's a legit talent and would be one hell of a pick for the Sox at 48 (if somehow he was around) and if he is, I'd be stunned if the Sox passed up on him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 09:56 PM)
Pitching in the low to mid 90's in high school as a lefty is huge. I'm not saying Smoral is a guarantee can't miss talent, but he's a legit talent and would be one hell of a pick for the Sox at 48 (if somehow he was around) and if he is, I'd be stunned if the Sox passed up on him.

I'd bet that we're going the college route.