2012 MLB draft talk

DirtySox

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like taking a prep 1st baseman this early. Like his power potential though, just prefer other guys. That said, its the sox and I'm never surprised when they take the cheap route. I will also say, they've done a very good job in the draft the past years though and when you factor in the fact that they have been so cheap, it makes it better. Still, I take the lefty pitcher any day over a guy who has to really rake to stay at 1B. Good body though.

Well I was close, guessing a 1b.

Keon Barnum.

Keon Barnum

King HS (Fla.), Senior

Height: 6'4", Weight: 220

Position: 1B

DOB: 01/16/1993

Bats: L, Throws: L

Commitment: Miami

For a player to profile at first, teams will typically want to see plenty of power and run production potential. Barnum, a Florida prep product, has both.

A big, strong physical specimen, Barnum can generate a lot of bat speed and has the ability to drive the ball to all parts of the ballpark. He shows most of his home run power to the pull side, but there's plenty of raw pop there all-around. Barnum's fine defensively at first, and some have even asked to see him play an outfield corner.

Like many young hitters with power, Barnum will get long with his swing at times and try to muscle the ball out. The ability to make adjustments and have a more refined approach will likely come with time and experience.

When it is a comp pick too, I am even less surprised the Sox reached. They want to make sure they get a pick (vs. taking a tough sign who they could ultimately get nothing out of if he held out). Blue Jays take 2 guys I liked (STroman and Smoral). Maybe the Sox surprise me though and use the savings later in the 1st 10 rounds. Clearly this pick was a reach (from an overall rankings perspective) but at the end of the day, we'll know more a few years from now.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 04:03 AM)
When it is a comp pick too, I am even less surprised the Sox reached. They want to make sure they get a pick (vs. taking a tough sign who they could ultimately get nothing out of if he held out). Blue Jays take 2 guys I liked (STroman and Smoral). Maybe the Sox surprise me though and use the savings later in the 1st 10 rounds. Clearly this pick was a reach (from an overall rankings perspective) but at the end of the day, we'll know more a few years from now.

Don't forget the rumors earlier in the week that Sox wouldn't use their entire allotment.