2012 MLB draft talk

DirtySox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 07:52 AM)
Kevin Goldstein ‏@Kevin_Goldstein

Very, very low. RT @JoeCoolMan24: @Kevin_Goldstein Likelyhood of the WSox drafting a HS player in the 1st RD?

FWIW, I think he's wrong about that this time.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
Robin Ventura does know him well. It has been rumored that he wants to go pro. Keith Law has stated that if were running the Astros, he would take him #1 overall. It's worth a shot at #48. I'd even do it at #13 if they knew for sure that he'd sign. I am always willing to roll the dice on a future ace. Many have clamored for Stroman and I like him too. But even if Giolito has arm surgery, his innings as a starter will be much more valuable than if Stroman is a career reliever. The Sox will probably take Heaney or Wacha and make this a moot point anyway though.

I didn't know Robin knew the kid personally. That could change everything. The Sox really love to bring in guys they "know".

Giolito will not be their at #48. Some of the bigger markets would never let him get by. If he lasted to #48 he's going to college because of the money. He can fall anywhere from #5 to #29 in this draft. Yes, Ventura knows him, but does this seem like a White Sox pick-No.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
I can't see the Sox paying that kind of coin to a guy with a real chance at losing two years of development.

Yeah. Unless Ventura has a ton of influence you are probably right on. It's just not a move they'd typically make. At #13 or #48.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
I can't see the Sox paying that kind of coin to a guy with a real chance at losing two years of development.

In the grand scheme of things though, 1 - 1.5M isn't really that much of an investment.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 01:28 PM)
It is for the Sox, though. They NEVER go over slot on a first round pick. Especially a HS pitcher with arm troubles.

Not happening.

That isn't a major issue anymore. No one is going to go over slot (at least not by much) and they were talking about pick #48. At 13 you wouldn't have to go overslot to get him. And if he doesn't sign, you get a 1st rounder next year (in what will almost undoubtedly be a stronger draft). The only major negative is you lose out on a year of development on whomever that pick would be.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 03:15 PM)
It's a lock that the White Sox will take a college pitcher.

LOL, OK, yeah, its a "lock". Nevermind that since 2006 the've only done that once with their first pick (Sale in 2010).

I love when people call this sort of thing a "lock". Did you buy a lottery ticket today?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)
LOL, OK, yeah, its a "lock". Nevermind that since 2006 the've only done that once with their first pick (Sale in 2010).

I love when people call this sort of thing a "lock". Did you buy a lottery ticket today?

I've been a lock to win the lottery every time I've bought a ticket. Been freaking robbed every time, its bullcrap I tell you, bullcrap. The only lock in the draft is that at least half of Soxtalk will be pissed at whomever is drafted.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 03:29 PM)

(Poreda 2007)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 03:34 PM)
(Poreda 2007)

That's true, so its 2007, not 2006. I stand corrected. And neither 2007 nor 2006 went very well going that direction.

They may draft a pitcher, I don't know. I just think its hilarious when people insist they "know".

Do teams still get compensation for not signing their first round pick or did that change with the new draft rules?....If it's still the same, i think it's worth drafting Giolito at 13. I know the injury is a concern and if he has TJ who cares - guys are coming back fine if not better after TJ. This draft seems pretty weak, so not signing your first round pick shouldn't hurt that bad if the rules are the same

If we draft a position player, I just ask that it's a player that doesn't project to strike out once per game.

Stroman is my favorite, but Giolito would be VERY interesting...it'd be hard to blame them for it. I know his mother and they're a great family, not trying to cheat anyone out of their investment.

QUOTE (Jbabs34 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 03:44 PM)
Do teams still get compensation for not signing their first round pick or did that change with the new draft rules?....If it's still the same, i think it's worth drafting Giolito at 13. I know the injury is a concern and if he has TJ who cares - guys are coming back fine if not better after TJ. This draft seems pretty weak, so not signing your first round pick shouldn't hurt that bad if the rules are the same

No, in fact the leverage has swung the other way. If a guy doesn't sign, the team LOSES the recommended slot for that pick from their available pool of funds. Imagine the implications: if a later round pick has signed for anything above slot, the early round guy can threaten not to sign and thus subject the team to penalties! This is just one of the new rules that I think is going to make the next couple drafts a mess until they rethink it.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:08 PM)
No, in fact the leverage has swung the other way. If a guy doesn't sign, the team LOSES the recommended slot for that pick from their available pool of funds. Imagine the implications: if a later round pick has signed for anything above slot, the early round guy can threaten not to sign and thus subject the team to penalties! This is just one of the new rules that I think is going to make the next couple drafts a mess until they rethink it.

I didn't realize you no longer receive compensation if a guy doesn't sign.