2012 MLB draft talk

DirtySox

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil Rogers

Here's what my guy Kevin Goldstein (Baseball Prospectus) wrote about Courtney Hawkins, the White Sox's pick: "A physical beast at 6-foot-3 and a muscular 210+ pounds, Hawkins has a prototypical right-field profile with plus-plus raw power, plenty of arm strength and excellent athleticism for his size. There are concerns about the amount of swing-and-miss in his game, and some see him as a high school version of Oakland 2010 first-round pick Michael Choice.'' Had him rated 9th overall.

Hopefully Hawkins is getter than the last 1st round pick from Carroll H.S.

1993 Brooks Kieschnick, RHP/OF Carroll/Texas 1 (10) Chicago Cubs

:lolhitting

ESPN Texas POY Bio:

THE WINNER: Courtney Hawkins

THE BASICS

School: Carroll (Corpus Christi, Texas) Grade: Senior Position: OF/RHP Height: 6-foot-4 Weight: 220 pounds

THE PILLARS

Athletic achievement: Hawkins led the Tigers (30-4) to the Class 5A regional final against J.B. Alexander (Laredo, Texas), scheduled for Saturday. He owned a .412 batting average with 11 home runs, 38 RBI and 17 stolen bases through 34 games. A 2011 First Team All-State selection, Hawkins also owned a 4-2 record with a 0.92 ERA and 48 strikeouts in 30.1 innings on the mound.

Academic excellence: Hawkins has maintained an 88 average in the classroom.

Exemplary character: He has volunteered locally on behalf of Beyondthefences.org, a faith-based Christian collaborative to instill core values using baseball as a platform, and on behalf of multiple community service initiatives in association with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

THE PRAISE

“Courtney Hawkins is the best high school player I have seen in my 12 years of coaching,” said Preston Rogers, head coach at Stevens (San Antonio, Texas). “His physical ability and raw power and speed are just unbelievable. Carroll has eliminated us from the playoff three of the last four years and this kid has been a major factor in every game.”

THE FUTURE: Hawkins has signed a National Letter of Intent to play baseball on an athletic scholarship at the University of Texas this fall, but is projected as an early round selection in next month’s Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 05:59 PM)
What the hell can one have against the Nats?

I just don't like Rizzo because of the Dunn / Jackson fiasco.

I love the nats however! Probably my second team of interest.

I'll forever only have one favorite team. :)

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 08:57 PM)
Phil Rogers

Here's what my guy Kevin Goldstein (Baseball Prospectus) wrote about Courtney Hawkins, the White Sox's pick: "A physical beast at 6-foot-3 and a muscular 210+ pounds, Hawkins has a prototypical right-field profile with plus-plus raw power, plenty of arm strength and excellent athleticism for his size. There are concerns about the amount of swing-and-miss in his game, and some see him as a high school version of Oakland 2010 first-round pick Michael Choice.'' Had him rated 9th overall.

His bat looked a bit loopy-swinging in some of the clips. Reminded me a little of Beckham's swing.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 08:00 PM)
Great analysis everyone. I'll file the negative remarks away with the ones that said Chris Sale was a waste of a pick.

? From I remember everyone loved the pick. He was suppose to go top 5-10. Might be the only pick where more than 95% of sox fans were happy with.

Edited by SoxAce

Interesting we're seeing some reports that his speed is just so-so (comparatively) and that he's bound for RF...this last one, the rival Texas high school coach is speaking highly of his speed and his whole overall skillset.

Sounds like we just got Soler, but for a WHOLE lot less money.

At least, that's one way of looking at it.

And we picked a guy who was slotted to go 9-12 in most pre-draft accounts, rather than a college pitcher we were reaching for who belong in the last third of the round but was picked due to easy signability.

Does anyone have a time to 1B? 1B to 3B? 1B to home?

Salivating imagining Viciedo, Mitchell and Hawkins in the same outfield. Or DeAza.

Edited by caulfield12

I'm trying to like Hawkins, but I'm prepared for another 200 strikeout player. Talent is definitely there and that's always better than a Kyle McCullough type of pick. Put me down as a huge fan of Stroman, I hope he magically falls to 48 by Kenny bribing him or something.

Raw in the "art" of hitting, Hawkins nevertheless possesses explosive bat speed and power to spare. Hawkins' speed is only average, but he profiles as an asset on defense. Still only 18, however, Hawkins will likely spend many years on the farm before arriving in "The Show."

Power is a popular tool. We talked about it yesterday with Adam Brett Walker, but today we'll talk about it with Courtney Hawkins. I don't mean that to say that Hawkins has Walker's power, because he doesn't. Yet, Hawkins is a right handed power hitting outfielder in his own right. Plus, he's great athlete that is currently capable of playing center field, but his 6-2, 210 pound body will likely cause him to grow into a corner spot, which isn't a problem since he has an above average arm that will allow him to play in right.

Hawkins is a busy man at the plate. I mean that as he has a lot of pre-swing movement including very busy hands. His swing is pretty complex with a lot of movement. He has starts out with a wide base and toe taps into a narrow base before stepping back into a wide base. We all know the issues with timing from the toe touch, but because of the size of step after his toe touch, he often times can lunge instead of stepping. That's an issue against quality off-speed pitches. It works for him now because it gets some more out of his legs for power at times, but more often he ends up out of balance.

That's the bad news. The good news is that he's improved his pitch recognition and some other things at the plate to reduce his bad swings and improve his hitting ability. That's why he's shot up draft boards as he projects to hit for a much better average with above average power.

If things just don't work out, he's a prospect on the mound as well due to a low 90's fastball and a slider that peaks your interest.

Floor

As with any other HS prospect, it's pretty low. He's got the power and he has the athleticism, but he still may not hit. Scouts feel better than they did about his ability to hit in pro ball, but he'll still strikeout on a good breaking ball. That leaves his floor as a corner outfielder that hits his fair share of bombs but just doesn't create enough contact to ever make it out of the minors. Think of a guy like Colin DeLome

Ceiling

The better you feel about his ability to stay in center, the better you see his ceiling. He's signed on at University of Texas to be a CF and plays it now, but they aren't professional level. He'll swipe his share of bags, and he'll play solid defense, mostly because of a strong and accurate arm. His ceiling is probably of that of a .280 hitter with around 25-30 home runs.

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2012/5/31/305...of-carrol-hs-tx

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 08:04 PM)
Interesting we're seeing some reports that his speed is just so-so (comparatively) and that he's bound for RF...this last one, the rival Texas high school coach is speaking highly of his speed and his whole overall skillset.

Almost no one thinks he will stick in CF. That might have been the thought in the past, but his body type indicates he will outgrow CF.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 06:19 PM)
I prefer the pre-TV days of the draft. It takes too long and Mayo, the guy who knows the most about these prospects, can't get a word in edgewise from Reynolds and Hart.

Hart may not be as on top of things as he was when he was GM, but he knows a lot more then any of the other guys about talent evaluation. Additionally, Callis is the guy that knows the most on the tv set. Mayo would be next. However, that puts him 3rd as far as I'm concerned.