2012 MLB draft talk

DirtySox

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 09:44 PM)
What is wrong with a lefty who throws 90-94?

There are a lot of lefties that throw 90-94 with one offspeed pitch that are going to go in the later rounds.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 07:46 PM)
There are a lot of lefties that throw 90-94 with one offspeed pitch that are going to go in the later rounds.

Not really. There are not a ton of prep lefties with 90-94 stuff and a good off speed pitch. Had he not missed the majority of the high school season with a foot injury, he probably wouldn't be on the board now.

Duke has had plenty of first-round picks in basketball, but 5-foot-9 righthander Marcus Stroman became the school's first first-rounder in the June MLB draft. The Blue Jays made it happen with the No. 22 overall selection—their second first-round selection, following prep outfielder D.J. Davis at No. 17 overall.

Stroman jumped into first-round consideration last summer when he struck out 17 of the 25 batters he faced with USA Baseball's college national team as the closer. Then he performed consistently all spring for a poor Duke team, ranking second in the nation in strikeouts (136, behind Andrew Heaney's 140) and third in strikeouts per nine innings.

Stroman gets strikeouts both with his fastball, which sits 92-94 mph, and he has added a changeup and cutter in the last year as he evolved from an infielder/closer into a starter. He always has had his wipeout slider that can make hitters look silly. He should be one of the fastest players to the majors in this year's class, and some scouts think he can start. But they all know he can be a big league reliever in short order.

www.baseballamerica.com

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 09:47 PM)
No.

There aren't? I'm happy to be the guy's biggest fan if he becomes a White Sox, but at this point he seems to have nothing on Aaron Poreda other than age. I just want someone to tell me the part I'm missing, my research on the kid consists of about 45 minutes of reading/watching

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 07:49 PM)
There aren't? I'm happy to be the guy's biggest fan if he becomes a White Sox, but at this point he seems to have nothing on Aaron Poreda other than age. I just want someone to tell me the part I'm missing, my research on the kid consists of about 45 minutes of reading/watching

Aaron Poreda was a college lefty with a big sinking fastball. He threw in the upper 90's too and as a result was picked early in the draft. No comparison between Poreda and Smoral though. A lot of comps out there on CC or Johnson but that is more because of his size at this point. And you are greatly mistaken. There aren't many prep lefties that have this kids arm and potential (hence why he's a top 50 pick).