2012 MLB draft talk

DirtySox

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 08:13 PM)
What was the point they were making about compensation picks that do not sign? You lose the money? Do you know get an extra pick next year if your compensation pick does not sign?

You lose the pick (comp picks do not get passed on to the next year; that, along with the concerns over going above slot given the new system, is the reason the only teams that will take these guys that fell in the comp round are teams with multiple picks as they can better afford to miss out, plus they have had more money allotted so they could pay overslot for one guy and then go under on 2 guys to even it out).

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 10:15 PM)
Did Sox/Blue Jays share the same scouts? Sox were rumored to like Nay as well.

Well, one of our top guys now (what's his name?) was a top dog in their scouting department

The other thing with Smoral is that we already have another guy in our bullpen in Hector Santiago who has similar or better stuff to make the transition to starter, along with Quintana.

Young impact hitters=GOOD

The more of them, the better. Last time we had this was the 2009 BIRM roster at the beginning of the season.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 10:16 PM)
So far it has been an interesting philosophical change. I wonder if being able to dig up pitchers out of no where is pushing the guys to look at trying to bring in more hitting talent?

Could be. I think we're somewhat just going after best players available. Sounds like Stroman was signed, sealed, delivered if Hawkins had been snagged up by then

Also fun that last year, the Sox have more picks and I think got a better pick in the comp round then what we took last year in our 1st pick (47th overall) in Walker. Not saying I don't like Walker, but there is just something fun about getting a couple guys with the ability to grow into potential middle of the order hitters.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 10:21 PM)
Also fun that last year, the Sox have more picks and I think got a better pick in the comp round then what we took last year in our 1st pick (47th overall) in Walker. Not saying I don't like Walker, but there is just something fun about getting a couple guys with the ability to grow into potential middle of the order hitters.

You always worry about those speed guys.

KW has struggled for a decade to find a competent leadoff hitter but finally "lucked" into one with DeAza.

From everything you read, Buxton doesn't seem like he projects to give them much power...but, then again, in that huge stadium, they need defense and XB hitters, not unlike the old Cardinals/Royals rosters that were built for Astroturf.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 10:18 PM)
The other thing with Smoral is that we already have another guy in our bullpen in Hector Santiago who has similar or better stuff to make the transition to starter, along with Quintana.

Young impact hitters=GOOD

The more of them, the better. Last time we had this was the 2009 BIRM roster at the beginning of the season.

You don't make a draft decision based on Hector Santiago, Jose Quintana or the like.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 09:29 PM)
You don't make a draft decision based on Hector Santiago, Jose Quintana or the like.

But you do based on money, at least the White Sox history with the draft.

And they apparently feel pretty confident in their ability to find pitching talent (at least at the present moment) from other sources.

Who knows, in 2-3 weeks, we might be wondering what happened to Quintana as he's outrighted for assignment...or he might turn out to be the biggest "stealth" acquisition in the history of KW's tenure.

The presence of Danks and Sale probably have a little something to do with this, though. Although $$$>BPA.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 10:33 PM)
And I'd easily wager Smoral has better stuff than both those guys.

I'd say Smoral has inferior stuff to Hector. Hector has better fastball and more than one offspeed pitch. The only thing Smoral has is size and age, which may allow him to improve in those areas (I doubt the fastball gets better)

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 07:34 PM)
I'm always for best player available, but I would love to see the Sox go the position playing route in close situations this draft. We only have a handful of position playing prospects with major league ceilings and will have several holes to fill at the major league level over the next three years.

Also, I'd really like to see more high school players drafted in the top 10 rounds. I seriously hate looking at our low A roster and seeing 23 & 24 years old on there. Having said that, I'd most likely avoid a high school pitcher in the first round.

Looks like both my wishes came true. While the comp pick might have been a slight reach, with the new draft rules I think it makes sense to be a little cautious this year.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 10:43 PM)
I'd say Smoral has inferior stuff to Hector. Hector has better fastball and more than one offspeed pitch. The only thing Smoral has is size and age, which may allow him to improve in those areas (I doubt the fastball gets better)

Smoral's offspeed is already better than any of Santiago's secondary pitches and you just have to wait and see if an 18 year old can throw harder considering Hector didn't start throwing 95+ till he was moved to the bullpen (sitting at 90-94 just like Smoral). He didn't even have a screwball until his 2011 season since he threw a very "fringe" slider. Credit to him for adding another pitch, I don't see why Smoral can't either.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 11:04 PM)
Smoral's offspeed is already better than any of Santiago's secondary pitches and you just have to wait and see if an 18 year old can throw harder considering Hector didn't start throwing 95+ till he was moved to the bullpen (sitting at 90-94 just like Smoral). He didn't even have a screwball until his 2011 season since he threw a very "fringe" slider. Obviously it helped, but Hector always had control issues versus sothpaws as well. He walked more Double-A lefties than he struck out that year because he was a one-pitch pitcher to lefties. Credit to him for adding another pitch, I don't see why Smoral can't either.

I just hope he uses some of that signing bonus to go to the dentist.

I know its bleacher report but this Ken Rosenbaum guy looks legit, could swear I've heard his name perform.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1202917...ft-class/page/2

He has Keon ranked as the having he most power of any HS and the 5th best 1B in the draft.

Wont pretend to know anything about a single player in the draft but from what I read I like both guys. Theres not much power to get excited about in the minors and it looks like these 2 can fill the void.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 11:11 PM)
I know its bleacher report but this Ken Rosenbaum guy looks legit, could swear I've heard his name perform.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1202917...ft-class/page/2

He has Keon ranked as the having he most power of any HS and the 5th best 1B in the draft.

Wont pretend to know anything about a single player in the draft but from what I read I like both guys. Theres not much power to get excited about in the minors and it looks like these 2 can fill the void.

Name perform a song-and-dance number? Wagner's operas?

Joking.

Fast typing mistakes when you're thinking about something else.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...,3160461.column

Why the Cubs' didn't veer off course and take Appel instead.

$8 million+ reasons, it looks like. That would have wiped out almost their entire budget for signings in the first 10-12 rounds or whatever it is.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 11:00 PM)
Looks like both my wishes came true. While the comp pick might have been a slight reach, with the new draft rules I think it makes sense to be a little cautious this year.

Our last couple of drafts had yield guys like Thompson, Mitchell, and Walker. Guys who are fairly young, and are tremendous athletes. Picks like Hawkins and Barnum are along the same line, albeit a bit younger. My pet peeve about the draft so far is both players could have serious contact issues, they could have more power and be just as good an athlete as Thompson, but if they are striking out once every three ABs, they will be more risk than reward.

I am not going to pretend I know too much about other prospects, but I was hoping the Sox would nab a guy who can hit for great contact, and could just be average across other areas, something our organization is missing from top to bottom.